I have a set-neck les paul Tokai copy, and I've found that the neck is "too straight", as in, the truss rod has to be loosened a bit.
I have the tool to fix this, it came with a real Gibson Les Paul Standard... but it's too wide to fit into the Tokai's cavity/cave (where the truss rod is). So, I technically don't have the tool to fix this.

However, I have been wanting to experiment with .11s for a while, and have understood that I would have to tighten the truss rod in order to balance out the greater tension of the thicker strings on the guitar.
Seing as how my truss rod is already too "tight" for my .10s, is it wise to just slap on .11s the next time I restring the guitar? Or is this just foolish/naive of me, and something else has to be done? I'm asking because after four years of playing, this is actually the first time I'm going from .10-.46 to anything else.

Note: I know the truss rod is too tense/ neck is too "straight" because when I press my finger on low E 1st fret, and low E 22nd fret (since guitar has only 22), the strings are touching the frets on the 12th fret. As I've been told, the strings should have a tiny space/not touching the frets at the 12th fret.
Wouldn't you just want to raise the action at the bridge a bit?

Although if you switch to 11's you'll have to adjust the rod anyway
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by page.slash
I have a set-neck les paul Tokai copy, and I've found that the neck is "too straight", as in, the truss rod has to be loosened a bit.
I have the tool to fix this, it came with a real Gibson Les Paul Standard... but it's too wide to fit into the Tokai's cavity/cave (where the truss rod is). So, I technically don't have the tool to fix this.

u got the tool for truss rod with gibson les paul standard?!
is the dealer supposed to give you that because i aint got nothing like that!
Yes, technically, every guitar is supposed to come with that tool... atleast in all the shops here in Canuk-land.

Raising the action is pointless, seeing as how the test involves me placing/pressing down on the last fret of the guitar, negating the effect the hight of the action would have.
Dude, loosen the truss rod to make the neck better
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Gakbez
Dude, loosen the truss rod to make the neck better

But if the truss rod was already perfect with the 10s, wouldn't I have to tighten it when putting on 11s? Because i do want to put and try out 11s. (yes, in standard tuning as well as lower tunings)

Edit: my point is, isn't the neck already set to take on 11s? thicker string will give more tension, balancing out the already too straight neck..?
Last edited by page.slash at Aug 14, 2009,
No, as you would put more tension on the neck, you would have to untensionize the neck, by loosening the trussrod.

Edit: It would get even straightier if you tightened the trussrod
Quote by CoreysMonster
Last edited by Gakbez at Aug 14, 2009,
...more tension by the strings makes the neck bow, and you would have to tighten the truss rod to fix this bow.
Correct? or is it actually loosening the truss rod to remove the bowing? If so, I just have tightening and lossening mixed up.
You will get more space between the strings and the frets when you do the press test, if you loosen the trussrod. And i'm serious. Try it.
Quote by CoreysMonster
But what he is saying is going to 11's might do this for him without touching the truss rod.

If you want to try the heavier strings, you might as well put them on before adjusting the rod, otherwise you'll probably have to do it twice.
Gakbez, sorry about that, I had the whole deal mixed up, you're right.
Yeah, my main question was if the 11s will fix this, as I was wanting to try them anyways.
Also, will the slots in the nut have to be adjusted at all? as in, will the thicker string fit? haha, kinda noobish, sorry.
And 11s for standard tuning isn't crazy, is it?
Get the right tool. Its probably only a standard allen key. I took my guitar into a hardware store and tested the sizes until I got the right one. It cost a euro.
And many guitars don't come with the tools. Mine uses 2.5mm, 3mm, 3.5mm and 5mm so I doubt any company would supply them all with a guitar.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by KoenDercksen
You wont have to adjust the slots in the nut, that comes when you start using 13's...

No it isn't crazy for standard, you will have to get used to them if you used 10's though, I had to at least.

Yeah, I switched from .10's to .12's and even though my tone was alot more thick and etc, tapping and legato was alot more difficult for me. It's good practice though if your gonna switch back to .10's, then it'll be like "Holy ****, my hammer on and pull offs are so much louder and cleaner now!" At least it was for me. You build some nice calluses too.

I can just imagine how much harder legato is gonna be whne I (hopefully) switch to 13's.

EDIT: Also when I switched my string guage, I didn't have to adjust my truss rod, but I dunno for you. My guitar has a really thin neck.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 14, 2009,
About suppying the tool... it came with the Gibson in the case, so i don't know. Also, I'm confused as to how a guitar would need all those sizes (3mm, 3.5, 5, etc).

I do realise 11s will be a little harder and I wuld have to adjust, but I'm willing to do so it it means even a slightly thicker sound. Also, I do switch to drop C every now and then, so I'm sure it'll be handy for that.

Thanks for the help, fellas.
Quote by page.slash
Gakbez, sorry about that, I had the whole deal mixed up, you're right.
Yeah, my main question was if the 11s will fix this, as I was wanting to try them anyways.
Also, will the slots in the nut have to be adjusted at all? as in, will the thicker string fit? haha, kinda noobish, sorry.
And 11s for standard tuning isn't crazy, is it?

no its not crazy i have 11s on my jagmaster and i use standard tuning.

also i think you may be right about not having to adjust the truss rod cause the 11s put more tension om the neck so it should fix the problem.
but i think the neck isnt supposed to be straight on ant les paul styled guitar every one ive seen the neck is angled back at a slight angle so maybe you should loosen it, but dont do it unless you are good with that stuff or you can screw up a perfectly good guitar
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
ive gone from 11's to 9's on a guitar and never had to adjust the truss rod. only adjust it if you have to. change the strings first and see if you even have a problem
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.