I hear people say that the guitar player makes up some of the tone. How does this work? Are they talking about the hands and how much pressure and stuff applies to the tone? Basically everyone says that Eddie Van Halen's brown sound came mostly from him,not his guitar or his amp. Is this the same?
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Its how clean you play, how expressive you play, and stuff like that. A new player can play a $4000 setup, but its gonna sound awful. Whereas an experienced professional can sometimes make a beginner setup sound great.

Just practice slowly to build proper accuracy, as well as work on your vibrato and bends. These things go a long way.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
everyone has nuances in their playing, and it comes out in their tone. now, that isn't saying that you can't create a usable brown sound, it just means that you won't sound exactly like EVH's brown sound because you have your own nuances and he has his.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by KiraIBZ
Its how clean you play, how expressive you play, and stuff like that. A new player can play a $4000 setup, but its gonna sound awful. Whereas an experienced professional can sometimes make a beginner setup sound great.

Just practice slowly to build proper accuracy, as well as work on your vibrato and bends. These things go a long way.

Right here. Listen to this man.
yeah, I never understood it.
Tone does not come from your hands. You technique and style comes from your hands.

Do some styles of playing, and certain nuances in your playing compliment certain tones/sound better with certain tone? Sure...
But the tone does not come from your hands, its the amp gear and guitar. your fingers aren't going to give the sound coming out of your amp a mid eq curve, or tighten up your muddy bottom-end.
Quote by Dregen
Right here. Listen to this man.

lol.. nice call.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by page.slash
Tone does not come from your hands. You technique and style comes from your hands.

Do some styles of playing, and certain nuances in your playing compliment certain tones/sound better with certain tone? Sure...
But the tone does not come from your hands, its the amp gear and guitar. your fingers aren't going to give the sound coming out of your amp a mid eq curve, or tighten up your muddy bottom-end.

So what you're saying is that if I took my guitar and amp, and I played "Sweet Child O Mine". Then I handed my guitar to Slash, keep all knobs and buttons in the same spot, and he then plays the same song. Or vice versa, me play it on Slash's gear (Yeah, like that would ever happen).
You think it will sound the same???

There is more to tone than Treble Mids and Bass....

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by page.slash

I agree with you actually. Tone dosen't come from your fingers, if you give slash a marshal mg and an epi les paull, he will still have the mg tone. You will however still know its slashs playing because of his ability to play vibratos, bends and other parts of his technique that contributes to his overall sound.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by jonmo1
So what you're saying is that if I took my guitar and amp, and I played "Sweet Child O Mine". Then I handed my guitar to Slash, keep all knobs and buttons in the same spot, and he then plays the same song. You think it will sound the same???

There is more to tone than Treble Mids and Bass....

it won't sound the same because Slash is Slash... not you. No offense to your playing, it's just that he ahs his style.
Just how if you wrote a song or solo, and Slash tried it, it would sound like slash because he doesn't have your technique/unique style.
he slides into notes differently, different vibrato and pick attack. maybehe picks every note, and you prefer legato.
It's those things that make it sound different. And that's not tone. As far as my opinion goes, tone and musicality go perfectly together, but are two different things.

If Slash played on an MG... he'd still sound good... but it'd still sound like a **** MG tone (or whatever else our imagination will have him play through).

^Yes to the man above me. He said it before I did. Note how he said overall "sound", not tone. Sound is everything together; the musical and skill aspect with the tone aspect. At least... that's how i understod it
Last edited by page.slash at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by JoePerry4life
I agree with you actually. Tone dosen't come from your fingers, if you give slash a marshal mg and an epi les paull, he will still have the mg tone. You will however still know its slashs playing because of his ability to play vibratos, bends and other parts of his technique that contributes to his overall sound.

This. It's all about technique and nuances. It has more to do with sounding like yourself than sounding 'good'.
No offense taken, that was exactly my point.

I guess we (as well as many others apparently) have a different idea of the definition of Tone....

and I agree with the idea that your tone starts within you...

Maybe it's more accurate to say "Your SOUND begins within you"..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1

I guess we (as well as many others apparently) have a different idea of the definition of Tone....

I agree with that. Someone's 'tone' could be great, doesn't mean he or she will sound good
I do like to believe that the person is more important: technique, style etc. having good tone is just a great bonus.
Wouldn't we still listen to our favourites even if they switched to MG (my some twisted cosmic joke)?
..I would...
Quote by jonmo1

i think that's a good way of putting it. you can make something sound really bad with just your hands if you tried, but it'll have a better (subjective, yes, but i think we can all agree on this) tone if you played it on a nice Cornford than if you played it on an MG.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by page.slash
I agree with that. Someone's 'tone' could be great, doesn't mean he or she will sound good
I do like to believe that the person is more important: technique, style etc. having good tone is just a great bonus.
Wouldn't we still listen to our favourites even if they switched to MG (my some twisted cosmic joke)?
..I would...

I agree with that completely too.
I've always said that a good guitar player will sound pretty close to the same whether they're playing with their favorite gear, or average run of the mill crappy gear.

For example I point out the Volkswagen commercials a while ago. When they were pushing First Act Guitars with a new Bug. And the commercial showed Slash playing one..sure that might have been overdubbed with his actual gear, but who knows...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
I agree with that completely too.
I've always said that a good guitar player will sound pretty close to the same whether they're playing with their favorite gear, or average run of the mill crappy gear.

For example I point out the Volkswagen commercials a while ago. When they were pushing First Act Guitars with a new Bug. And the commercial showed Slash playing one..sure that might have been overdubbed with his actual gear, but who knows...

The bug where you could plug in a guitar, right? Did the Bug have built in distortion? If not... it's safe to say it was overdubbed, ha.

Or Dave Mustaine using a JVM. Sounded pretty much like Mustaine does live to me. I notice the difference, sure... but nothing shockingly huge or to notice a difference ifhe hadn't shown us the JVM.
The way you pick, the way you fret, everything you do with a guitar will have a small amount of effect on your tone. That's where distinct playing styles and tones come from.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Two people could be playing on the exact same set-up and you would still be able to tell them apart, and that doesn't require an experienced listener (although a developed ear does helps). This personal tone or sound is pretty much in the nuances, mostly coming from your picking hand: through the way you attack the strings, how you angle the pick, the place you hit the string (closer to the bridge or to the neck), etc.

I've found that these nuances aren't as noticeable in high-gain tones, though, which makes sense really.
Quote by Whiskky
Two people could be playing on the exact same set-up and you would still be able to tell them apart, and that doesn't require an experienced listener (although a developed ear does helps). This personal tone or sound is pretty much in the nuances, mostly coming from your picking hand: through the way you attack the strings, how you angle the pick, the place you hit the string (closer to the bridge or to the neck), etc.

I've found that these nuances aren't as noticeable in high-gain tones, though, which makes sense really.

My theory is all the drop tunings came about from metal guitarists trying to differentiate themselves from all the other players in that genre.
i personally think that people are confuse with tone and skill.
if evh began to play with my gear anyone will notice its evh because of his characteristic playing, but not cause of his characteristic tone. tone is like the car and skill is like the driver, if you give a f1 driver a volkwagen bug, he´ll still do corners really well, and stuff, and people will say, hey, that guys drives really well, but he of course wont drive at 200mph.

/rant
Quote by nithin909
i personally think that people are confuse with tone and skill.
if evh began to play with my gear anyone will notice its evh because of his characteristic playing, but not cause of his characteristic tone. tone is like the car and skill is like the driver, if you give a f1 driver a volkwagen bug, he´ll still do corners really well, and stuff, and people will say, hey, that guys drives really well, but he of course wont drive at 200mph.

/rant

Good comparisons xD
Quote by KiraIBZ

I don't agree. You won't get a Mesa Dual-Rectifier to sound as awful as a Spider and vice-versa, no matter who plays it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I don't agree. You won't get a Mesa Dual-Rectifier to sound as awful as a Spider and vice-versa, no matter who plays it.

Well your always going to sound like the amp your playing, playing skillfully isnt going to change your amp. That doesnt change the fact that your playing changes how you will sound.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by JesusCrisp

Go from a bugera or something to a slo-100 or another very articulate amp. You'll be amazed how sloppy you sound.