Page 1 of 2
Hey all. Im new to playing metal, though I listen to some.
Theres a band not to far away looking for a bassist. Influenced by Deathklok.
Im almost clueless as to how to get prepared to play metal. Ive got a distortion pedal, play finger style, and am pretty fluent in most other genres.
Any help?
Work on your finger speed by ALOT. Do some finger exercises that'll make you faster.
Gannon Bracewell's

Music

Page!

Check Out My Tab's as well
Root notes, 3 finger galloping, that kinda junk.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
work on your finger speed and stamina a lot (basically what everyone else was saying)
GO BRAVES
you have to play with your **** just like murderface does
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Just go on with your fingers, start to do some fast exercises. For example nice song for make your fingers fast is Phantom of the opera - Iron maiden. Start by training Metallica/Iron maiden songs. Do what you want I'm just suggesting !
Get a 6 string fretless and learn some Obscura.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by RockAddict311
You could also switch to pick.

pick is what beginner metal band bass players use. bands like slayer, trivium and bullet for my valentine. real metal uses fingers, mastodon, iron maiden, black sabbath, dream theater to name a very small few. if your good with fingers stick with fingers, it will be far smarter in the long run. just get speed up. Be prepared to be completely crushed by the mix, play the root notes of what the rhythm guitar plays, and basically just be the 3rd "less skilled" guitar player, assuming that this is a standard metal band, which i assume it is being mainly influenced by deathlock. Try to have fun
Quote by bass-boy-garith

pick is what beginner metal band bass players use. bands like slayer, trivium and bullet for my valentine. real metal uses fingers, mastodon, iron maiden, black sabbath, dream theater to name a very small few. if your good with fingers stick with fingers, it will be far smarter in the long run. just get speed up. Be prepared to be completely crushed by the mix, play the root notes of what the rhythm guitar plays, and basically just be the 3rd "less skilled" guitar player, assuming that this is a standard metal band, which i assume it is being mainly influenced by deathlock. Try to have fun

He gave an option to what TS could do. Both, playing with fingers or pick, is a good choice seeing as how they give a different sound.

Ok, now on topic, Just learn to play fast no matter if its with your pick or fingers. Also know your harmonic minor scale it is used a lot in metal. I also recommend you don't use distortion and instead use a clean tone because it will help you have a little bit more edge in the mix.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by bass-boy-garith

He uses fingers, seen 'em live.

Anyway, do what everyone else is saying. You don't have to be right there with the guitars, Alex Webster from Cannibal corpse will use quarter notes instead of eighth or sixteenth even though he could subdivide if he wanted. Just try to compliment the song.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Be prepared to not be heard unless you have a bass solo

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Be prepared to not be heard unless you have a bass solo

Or crank your mids. He may not be heard but he will be felt which is what matters in that situation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Or crank your mids. He may not be heard but he will be felt which is what matters in that situation.

Yes I agree, It's your own fault if you don't stand out in the mix. When it comes to playing live though you will always feel the bass.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by bass-boy-garith

I kill you. Slayer>Mastodon! Fingers>pick, that's right, but I think Araya is pretty skilled these days so don't call any ****ty mastodon better than slayer, it's holy for me.
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
People like you need to stop the elitist "fingerz r 4 real bass playaz" ****. True bassists master both techniques, and understand when to use a pick and when not to. That, and it can also be a tone thing, you can get a harsher attack with a pick, compared to fingers, with alot less harsh playing.

Also, bass playing in metal shouldn't just be limited to root notes, learn bass properly and throw in some nice fills and ****, counter melodies are sweet for metal I find. The fact that you call yourself a bass player, and then suggest sticking to being a '3rd "less skilled" guitar player' makes me die a little inside.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
People like you need to stop the elitist "fingerz r 4 real bass playaz" ****. True bassists master both techniques, and understand when to use a pick and when not to. That, and it can also be a tone thing, you can get a harsher attack with a pick, compared to fingers, with alot less harsh playing.

Also, bass playing in metal shouldn't just be limited to root notes, learn bass properly and throw in some nice fills and ****, counter melodies are sweet for metal I find. The fact that you call yourself a bass player, and then suggest sticking to being a '3rd "less skilled" guitar player' makes me die a little inside.

I agree, a pick gives such a different tone. I think using a pick could get me a tone I like more but I'm lazy and fingers just feel so right to me. I always throw fills in when I'm playing with songs. It can give the songs more energy instead of OMG brutulz.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Trivium bassist is actually really good, he plays with fingers, all three sometimes!!! and he plays counter melodies and ****. just burried under the egos of matt and corey
the guy who said that pick is a no no is wrong

Dave Ellefson its a great bass player and he plays with a pick

back to topic well, learn some gallops alla Maiden, also using techniques like Slap and Tapping sound cool on metal bass
Hopefully your band wont be as guitar oriented as deathklok cause that would be pretty boring. By the way, Deathklok's live bassist plays finger style ... there was a thread about him and i demo vid for his technique not long ago. +1 to the master both styles thing ... or atleast become familiar enough. Its kinda hard for me to want to play with my gimped out pick style when finger style acts so much better for me.

Anyway, warm ups with a metronome chromatic lines or scales, play songs by the bands the band draws influence from, get ready to tune down ... deathklok tunes to C standard and theres plenty of threads around about tuning to C ... usually drop C but you'll get the idea. Learn about the tritone as they can sound pretty cool, along with minor scales since they are supposed to produce the usual unhappy tone that metal favors ... knowledge in modes could prove useful but i dont really know that yet.

Speed wise, for originals as long as you can play 16th notes at around 120 bpm you could be fine but youd have to play 8th notes instead of 16th most of the time. Covers can change that quickly though.

Just thought of this, if you arnt sure of your ability to pedal play the solo riff for seek and destroy alot, that should definitely help Disposable Heroes should help with speed and endurance too ... most of thrash era metallica should do well anyway.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by bass-boy-garith

This post is full of so much fail. If you had your facts right, you'd know that Paolo from Trivium plays with his fingers, and Tom Araya used to, although arthritis and the ability to play 16th notes for very long periods forced him to switch over during the Reign In Blood era. You don't need to be crushed in the mix in metal, if you are persistent and don't let those guitards push you out of the mix. You don't need to play just the root notes if you don't want to. Listen to bands like Atheist, late-era Death and, as mentioned before, Obscura.

Now, on the topic of whether or not to use fingers, fingers tend to be slower unless built up to a high endurance and speed, or, if one switches to 3 or 4 fingers, spends time smoothing out any hitches like articulating certain notes accidentally or converting 16th notes on three fingers without playing extra notes. Fingers tend to be easier for string skipping than picks. What picks lack in those few things, they make up for in clearer note articulation, faster speed early on, and less endurance needed to play for longer periods of time.

Never settle for being a "lesser 3rd guitarist" unless you truly want to.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Also, a distortion pedal is used very scarcely in metal. The only people I can think of who used it were Steve DiGiorgio and Cliff Burton. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it tends to muddy your sound during parts where being clean is kinda necessary, so that it isn't just the hiss of distortion and the beat of the drum in the background.
Last edited by KingOfBlood at Aug 14, 2009,
When you use distortion, you melt into the guitar sound and soon you'll find yourself standing next to the drummer playing root notes while people pretend you don't exist. Finger style, as stated above takes a lot more practice to get fast with. Using a pick, contrary to what a lot of people say, doesn't mean you're not as good. It's only personal preference. Depending on what you play, a 5-string bass can be helpful, but many great bass players play 4-string. On stage, get out there and do something! Show that you exist AND you're as cool as the guitarist.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Last edited by cal1 at Aug 14, 2009,
^ sort of. With distortion, it really depends on what kind of distortion you have. If you have a Muff, then yeah you'll probably melt into the mix. If you have a tone like the one in Hysteia(Muse), you can actually stay in the mix very well.

The best tone I've found for cheap is the Ibanez PD-7, because it keeps your lows/low mids really clean, and you can roll off your tone knob to get rid of the high-end hiss. Cuts through REALLY well.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ sort of. With distortion, it really depends on what kind of distortion you have. If you have a Muff, then yeah you'll probably melt into the mix. If you have a tone like the one in Hysteia(Muse), you can actually stay in the mix very well.

The best tone I've found for cheap is the Ibanez PD-7, because it keeps your lows/low mids really clean, and you can roll off your tone knob to get rid of the high-end hiss. Cuts through REALLY well.

Yea, and it can give your band a different texture of sound. It would contribute to the overall tone of the band.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dancesisidance

+1

I remember back when I was starting out I was all "picks r 4 luzrs", but now 6 months in, I frequently switch between both because of the different tones they produce.

Quote by BladeSlinger
I agree, a pick gives such a different tone. I think using a pick could get me a tone I like more but I'm lazy and fingers just feel so right to me.

Ever try fingerpicks? Godsmack's bassist uses them because he likes the pick tone but dislikes not using his fingers.
Quote by Alex Vik
+1

I remember back when I was starting out I was all "picks r 4 luzrs", but now 6 months in, I frequently switch between both because of the different tones they produce.

Ever try fingerpicks? Godsmack's bassist uses them because he likes the pick tone but dislikes not using his fingers.

A guy I knew talked about getting some but I haven't even thought about them since then. I might try it, I love getting new sounds. I really enjoy not needing anything to play though, just my fingers.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have some. I originally used them for speed runs of 16th notes. It was OK. I don't use them anymore. If I go pick, I use a normal heavy pick. It just feels weird wearing it, especially when trying to finger pick, and not being able to use the thumb to mute the E string cleanly.
Quote by dancesisidance

easy now, i was bashing metal bassists man. i am no where near 3rd less skilled giutar player. i pride myself in my bass playing, and not to sound like i have my head rammed up my ass i do a dam ****ing fine job of it and with out me my band would be garbage. and i wasnt suggesting that what he do. i was implying that is most likely what he will be assigned to do by the guitar players in the band.
If it helps, I once told someone they could play bass in my metal band and they thought I was insulting them. lol.

Real metal bassists TAP.

Look at Jeff Hughell.
Get your speed up. Crank the bass. Fingers/Pick/Wang, whatever, as long as you can do it fast enough.

And come on guys, I thought this was the BASS forum?? Stop arguing like liitle pit monkeys.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Slayer>Dream Theater
Quote by bass-boy-garith
easy now, i was bashing metal bassists man. i am no where near 3rd less skilled giutar player. i pride myself in my bass playing, and not to sound like i have my head rammed up my ass i do a dam ****ing fine job of it and with out me my band would be garbage. and i wasnt suggesting that what he do. i was implying that is most likely what he will be assigned to do by the guitar players in the band.

Ok, you're cool now. Only cool kids do that.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by lukeylynch
In terms of what? brutality?

Slayer is more metal than Dream Theater and IMO are better, maybe not technically but definately stage presence, songs etc.) end of. Now back on topic before I get warned, bass can be very technical (Necrophagist, Athiest etc.) Or very bland (as much as I hate to say it, majority of Metallica etc..)

Technical meaning tapping, very fast basslines 16th, 32th notes even..
Quote by Alex Vik

Or Thumbpicks. Greg McPherson from InMe uses one and he has great tone. Look up Anything off InMe's Daydream Anonymous or Herald Moth Albums.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Or Thumbpicks. Greg McPherson from InMe uses one and he has great tone. Look up Anything off InMe's Daydream Anonymous or Herald Moth Albums.

Sssssh, Herald Moth ain't out yet, and I refuse to cave in to downloading it. I will preorder it. I WILL.
Page 1 of 2