Hello UG. How would I figure out the scales used in songs? Not just the key, that's no problem. But the scales. For example, a song called The Islander by Nightwish. How would I find out what scales it is written in? And, when there's a song that I want to learn that has a scale which I do not know, how would I find out what scale it is?
Transcribe the song and write down the notes. If you know the key, write the notes out as scale degrees and if they are flattened sharpened. This should give you a nice view of the scale.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
Transcribe the song and write down the notes. If you know the key, write the notes out as scale degrees and if they are flattened sharpened. This should give you a nice view of the scale.
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
really didnt want to post a new thread for thsi question but it kinda fits in, how do you find the key of the song?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
really didnt want to post a new thread for thsi question but it kinda fits in, how do you find the key of the song?

Mostly the first chord of the song, otherwise the last. Otherwise the note the song resolves to.
Quote by robinlint
Mostly the first chord of the song, otherwise the last. Otherwise the note the song resolves to.

The key is always the note the song resolves to. Sometimes that may be the first chord, sometimes that may be the last chord.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane