Page 1 of 2
Right, here we go. Seeing that my Les paul is now done, although i dont have it back yet it's time to start another build (think i might be addicted :/).

As you may have guessed i'm looking at doing a flying V

Planned specs are :

-Alder body.
-22 fret Maple bolt on neck, my thesis is that if i manage to dick one up then its easy to change out for another. Firstly im going to buy a neck and then have a go at making one from scratch in the future.
-Rosewood fretboard
-String through or Tailpiece? Cant decide between the two.
-Paintwise i'm thinking along the lines of

-Pick up wise i'll probably be going to rock monkey again, as of yet not sure which specific pick ups though.
-2 Vol 2 tone

Think that just about covers it.
I'm looking to get this finished by the time I go back to uni, so October time. Will be ordering the body wood saturday with any luck.

Any suggestions / feedback would be great.
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
dunno about the 2 tones, ive never been a fan of tone controls on the guitar very much.

for the bridge, def go tailpiece. easier to install id imagine. and when painting it, please give it SOME flair, dont just make plain lines. try a ying yang variant, curvy
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Well the advantage of a string-thru is more sustain, and I like the look of it more.
But it all boils down to preference methinks.
And I think the 2 color finish might look better without a pickguard.
Quote by TheOpenMind
Well the advantage of a string-thru is more sustain, and I like the look of it more.
But it all boils down to preference methinks.
And I think the 2 color finish might look better without a pickguard.

I thought the same, was another question i meant to ask actually, pickguard or not
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Reminds me of a michael schenker dean sig lol.

Looking forward to this build tho ;D
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Well the finish will probably look better without the pickguard, and maybe you could get zebra coloured (black/creme) pickups to go with the finish.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the build.
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Reminds me of a michael schenker dean sig lol.

Actually Schenker had customs from Gibson before Dean. They look pretty much the same though. Here's some of the Dean versions... they don't have pickguards and they have Zebra coils.

Natural/Black. I bet the fretboard was hell to glue up.

USA Series

USA Flames

USA Custom
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by rootbeerjuice
I agree with what everyone has said regarding pickguard and string through. I'd also like to add that the V body shape seems incredibly open to modification (ie King V, pointy V, etc). Something along those lines would be pretty cool.

Yeah but ive got a pointy V already, well USA Alexi, so a long RR shape. And i've seen a lot of pointy V builds lately, been really liking the old school V shape so i'll probably stick with that

Now that i like!

In fact, i'll probably go with that but in black and cream
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Last edited by Ieuanm at Aug 15, 2009,
My girlfriend has just had the idea of doing it black and glow in the dark white
opinions haha ?
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Right, ordered the wood and a flying V plan. Pretty set on a green and black variant of the flame V above. May make it metallic green and black too, not too sure on that one yet. More updates when the wood arrives!
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40

DO IT.

But if you're only going to go black/white then that looks fine, just get a better white than that and make it really glossy.

If you did glow in the dark white then have the white outlined in black and the black outlined in white so it doesn't look stupid in the dark.
There be no shelter here.
Last edited by courtkid1012 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by rootbeerjuice
I agree with what everyone has said regarding pickguard and string through. I'd also like to add that the V body shape seems incredibly open to modification (ie King V, pointy V, etc). Something along those lines would be pretty cool.

Personally I hate those designs but I love the gibby V.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Updates, wood came today, cost £60 all in all, although it's already nice and flat and just about the right thickness. All I need to do is drill some wire guides before I glue it together (from one pickup cavity to the other and from the bridge cavity to where the electronics cavity will be) as I'll not be using the taditional loaded pickguard so sneaky wire routes need to be done. Either that or just route into the back and have a load of scratchplate back there :/
anyway, pics when I find the lead for my phone!
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Can't wait for pics
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

try to finish it with nitro, nitro ages much better, and lets the guitar breathe better. It's very hard and expensive I'd imagine tho
Updates time, Body is glued. Havent had time to sand between rain! Although I thought i'd rock out with some MDF and a lump of pine

More soon!

P.S Had a text my Les Paul is done, will update that thread tomorrow if I get the time
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Last edited by Ieuanm at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by Ieuanm

Looks like a knot near the glue joint.. is that going to be on the top or bottom? If possible I would take the time to cut that strip out, it will help when finishing comes
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

my apologies for lack of updates but I've been short of money and time. Two things you need for building a guitar :P

Can anyone tell me how you'd go about radius-ing a 7 string fretboard, im assuming a normal block for the job wont fit towards the fatter end of things? Would it be a case of knocking up a jig or is there a block available for 7 string fb's? I've searched here and the trusty google to no result. If anyone could help that'd be tip top
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Updates!

Got the maple ordered for the neck along with a rosewood fretboard and some fretwire.
Should arrive tomorrow or friday, but who knows what'll happen if this mail strike goes ahead. Not sure what the situation is there. But i'll get my hands on it over the weekend when I'm back from uni.

Next on the list to order is a tom and nut. 7 string nuts are a bitch to find!

I'm thinking of an iron cross of about 50mm square for the inlay over the 12th fret to go with the hot rod(ish) theme of this guitar, although this is due to change on the width of the neck at that point.

I'm also struggling on deciding between matte or gloss finish, i'm favouring matte at the moment i think :/

Another problem I'm having is finding tuners in packs of 7 and string ferrules and it seems to be a whole lot more expensive to buy things singular, maybe ferrules aren't too bad but my point stands.
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Quote by Ieuanm

awesome we have the same tuner
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
I like the ideas for your project man! For the nut, I know that Graphtech has a few models for 7 stringers. They have quite a few dealers in the UK also, so maybe one of those guys is close to you. Here's links to their three options: #1, #2, #3. One of those models might work for you, otherwise I think you're going to be carving it yourself.

I wish you guys had a place in the UK like warmoth (you might, I just don't know if you do or not, so excuse my ignorance). Warmoth sells all of its hardware individually, and it's all pretty much cheaper than anywhere else. They have name brand tuners and string ferrules. They do ship internationally, and if I read it right it would cost you around 50usd to get a box sent to the UK, which I think is around 30 GBP. 7 Gotoh tuners and 7 pairs of top/bottom string ferrules shipped to the UK would cost something like 120 USD, which according to google is something like 74 GBP. I don't know how this compares to the prices you are looking at across the pond, but it's something to look at.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
PICTORRRS!
I'm in love with the fretboard. Looks more purple than it does in the pictures. Made a trouser mess when I opened it

Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Rosewood is a very pretty wood, it's just hard to notice because of the frets. You should really try to get the grain to pop. I wish I knew of other methods besides oil though. Everything is looking good so far.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Rather slow build but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Updates, but havent been taking pics sorry!

Body is now shaped
Neck pocket routed
Scarf joint is done (nearly butchered it though)
Truss rod channel routed

To do :
Glue in truss rod
shape headstock and neck
glue FB on
radius
fret
route control cavity
route pickup cavity
drill bridge post holes and string through holes
paint
electronics

still seems like a lot but I'm getting at least one done a day so it shouldn't be too long now!
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Righto, long time no update, this is the geetar in it's current state, apologies for the lack of pictures and the poor quality, is dark on account of the mass of rain that has decided to stop me from working and getting any lighting at all

Is getting close now, have done a lot since the last post.
Only thing left to do as far as work on the body/neck is control cavity, pick up routes and machine head holes and thats it, ready for paint and then the wait for money for hardware :[

on a side note, sharp frets are sharp!

Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
have sanded it to a 16" radius, anything lower is a bit too much on a 7 imo
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
holy shit those frets must be like razorblades.

but it looks like the paint job will be awesome.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
yeah going to have it like this but black and green instead
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Long time no update, but now exams are over and I've acquired 4 months of nothingness until uni comes around again so it should be done soon. Good times
Right, i've routed the main part of the pickup and control cavity, need to make final adjustments when I actually have some pickups to judge it by and to accomodate the cavity cover.
All that's left is to drill holes from here to there and there to here and everywhere else for wires and tuner holes. Of course finishing, which I've not settled on still. Going with a solid colour and flames though. Just colour combo's are all in the air so if you have any ideas throw them at me.
So far I'm liking,
Black - Bright Green,
White - Red,
Black - Red,
White - Teal,
White - Grey,
Grey - Black,
Black - Grey

OH, I nearly forgot, I made a baddy with the router, I don't have to tell you where :[
So this is it atm, the paint was just to pick up scratches so I know how much sanding to do

Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Get some Davids P38 2k filler from Halfords to fill where you slipped with the router. Did you use templates or freehand?
I think black and green would be cool, you may get some inspiration from James Hetfield's Grynch.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Ieuanm

on a side note, sharp frets are sharp!

Nice. I did myself a really awesome little cut with an Angle Grinder. Looks great now it's like healed up and everything looks like i've been in a bar fight or something lolz. The body looks to be coming on nicely anyway, good work. Seriously hope you can pull off that dean style finish. Deans are very sexy guitars. Everyone is always commenting on mine even though as a guitar it's actually pretty crap lolz.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Page 1 of 2