So I was thinking why have 1 unfinished guitar build when you can have two unfinished builds.

I am planning a neck-thru for my next build. I am thinking about a maple-jatoba-maple three piece lamination or maybe even a jatoba-maple-jatoba-maple-jatoba 5 piece neck.

Assuming I will add wings for the headstock, what are aesthetically pleasing dimensions for each stripe (i.e.; width of each)?

Thanks
depends on your own preference but for a five piece neck id hazard a guess at just under a centimeter for each strip
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
You should be able to determine for yourself what is aesthetically pleasing if it's going to be your guitar...right?

But if you want my opinion, the only thing I like to make sure of is that the taper of the neck does not cut through one laminate into another. I think that's ugly. With a 5 piece, I'd keep the 3 center laminates to less than 1 1/2" total, in basically any combination. With a 3 piece, they're all going to be 4/4 stock just cleaned up a bit. The center possibly a little thinner.

That's just my opinion, of course.
Thanks for the input.

I know with furniture building, there is the golden rule of proportions that have been in place since I believe the age of Athens. I have violated that rule and have an aesthtically unpleasing file cabinet.

I was just wondering if there was something like that for necks.
are u talking about the phi ratio?
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Do you mean Phi or Pi (2.14)? I kn ow what pi is.

The Golden Rule is something like a tabletop or a cabinet should be 1 and 1/2 times as tall as it is wide. I think. As I said, I screwed the ratio up on my file cabinet so it looks off. I also built a kitchen island for my parents that you can land a F-14 on. Of course, since they have an ridiculous number of pots and pans, they are happy with it. But it is not quite proportional.

Thanks
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
Pi (2.14). I know what pi is.
Clearly you know all there is to know about pi, but I believe the thing he talks about is indeed the phi ratio.

Anyways, I agree with Metalhead in his opinions on the dimensions of the "center trio" for a five piece. For a three piece, I don't think it matters much, so long as you have at least a good centimeter's width of the outside wood section at the nut end.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Aug 14, 2009,
phi ratio. thanks. This is the golden rule I was talking about. I will see if I can use this.