Page 1 of 2
Think again.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm

Well, that was interesting. I’m sure many people scratched their heads and/or screamed, “WHY?” upon the release of the SG Zoot Suit and the Reverse Flying V. Here is a little something that might provide some insight into what’s going on at Gibson. It’s quite a shock.

The link above provides comments by Gibson employees about what it’s like to work for Gibson. The comments are from the suits all the way down to the clean-up crew.
This was really suprising, you'd think it'd be cool, huh.
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Seems like everyone hates Juszkiewicz...

But after the excuses for guitars that Gibson have been putting out of late, Zoot Suit SG, Holy Explorer, Reverse V etc, I can see why they'd hate people like him...
well that sucks. I was kind of hoping to work there someday. not any more.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Meh, I like to many Fender guitars to want to work there. I don't want to be that next guy drinking a Pepsi at a Coke factory (or other way around , whichever one it was).
How the hell did that happen. One would think it's cool to work there.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

''Donut Fridays''

Sounds awesome :P
But that sucks, I thought it would be fun to make top quality guitars. Shame about the CEO

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
So that's why Gibson's QC is down. We've found the reason guys, and it's name is Henry Juszkiewicz.

Seriously, that guy sounds like a douchebag. If everyone in his company hates him, then what if they organized a giant turnover and all refuse to work unless he was fired?!

Does that mean we'll get good quality Les Pauls again? :O It'd be nice since the man passed away, in honour of the death of Les Paul; Gibson will make good quality guitars again.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Gibson is too corporate for quality. They are like the Macdonalds of guitars. Minimum input/Maximum output.

Try Tom Anderson or Martyn Booth or PRS or James Tyler..

oh wait...

they only employ skilled craftsman. Woops.
I like this, it shows theres some hope in the future of one of the biggest guitar companies

just need to get rid of the fellow thats King of the Hill atm
I would rather work at fender, seems easier, sexier guitars, and fender didn't just release THE ugliest guitar ever made in the last 20 years.
too bad the ceo isnt hit by a bus for ruining a good brand and making it hell to work there.
Listen to this on page 2...

"There is no training because there is no one with experience enough to train. Not to mention, starting work here is like getting thrown into the desert – no corporate/brand information, no orientation on the company itself, no training materials for the phones, copiers, printers, etc., no help from IT on setting up phones, passwords, emails, etc., no company directory (phone #s, emails, titles, etc.), no office equipment or even chair… I could go on and on. Ultimately how do we expect to put a consistent, clear message to the public when internally people have no idea what our goals, messaging, and even the products are?"

Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Sounds like the CEO is an ass and is "running the company into the ground."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Sounds like everything's good but the CEO is an asshole.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Donut fridays?
Pay checks keep getting sent to you after you've been fired?

Sounds great if you're in college or something, but I doubt you'd be able to support a family off of them the way they are...
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I'd rather work for Fender/Jackson/Gretsch.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
wow that kinda completely threw the integrity of the company
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Pfft, I'm the CEO of Gibson and I do not know why people do not like working there. I mean I have so much fun, and it is amazing. Like last week, I fired a guy for putting in 2 sugar cubes when I didn't specify how many I wanted. Me and my assistant were just laughing at his stupidity, and then i proceeded to fire a random guy for pure not liking his name. My god I love this company. There people are just retards.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
I personally think that the Zoot Suit SG actually looks pretty awesome. The others mentioned, not so much.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Management's ****ed up and the high ups and the low downs aren't communicating? Sounds like every other large company.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The employees cant cant really fire the owner of gibson. He and another guy bought the place its a private company, no stock holders. So there isnt anybody to answer to. As long as people will continue to buy gibsons because they say "gibson" they will be able to do what ever they want for as long as they want. Only thing that would change things is if sales plunged and profits evaporated. Even then they would just find someone else to sell the company to or piece it out for maximum profit. To a guy like that its not a great icon of the music industry its just a profit generating machine to to suck dry then move on. Its just typical corporate mentality. Hell the guy who started dean guitars wont even work for his own company anymore.

Ive worked for plenty of places like this where the only concern of management is their paycheck and how they can bleed employees and customers dry. Where there were no raises, ever dwindling benefits, the equipment never gets repaired, and they use every opportunity to find a way to pay less so they can earn more. Dont know how they manage to stay in business, but its a very common business model.
I ****ing love my explorer but something really needs to be done.

I say we form some kind of group to protest. I'm not sure how much direct good it'll do but it may help bring some awareness to the situation.
Edit: Here, everyone join http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/savegibson/
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Gibson Guitar Manager
Pros

This company had grown for a tiny business to a global business that dominates its industry. It is implementing some of the best practices in business and managment.

It has a foundation that shows its commitment to bettering the world.

Cons

This is a goal driven culture. All people have specific goals and those goals are tracked daily.

Advice to Senior Management

I would try to bring better executive talent to support the CEO.

Henry works very hard and is overly stretched.

I wonder who wrote that
Quote by blue_strat
I wonder who wrote that

lol, that was my favorite!
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by Tackleberry
The employees cant cant really fire the owner of gibson. He and another guy bought the place its a private company, no stock holders. So there isnt anybody to answer to. As long as people will continue to buy gibsons because they say "gibson" they will be able to do what ever they want for as long as they want. Only thing that would change things is if sales plunged and profits evaporated. Even then they would just find someone else to sell the company to or piece it out for maximum profit. To a guy like that its not a great icon of the music industry its just a profit generating machine to to suck dry then move on. Its just typical corporate mentality. Hell the guy who started dean guitars wont even work for his own company anymore.

Ive worked for plenty of places like this where the only concern of management is their paycheck and how they can bleed employees and customers dry. Where there were no raises, ever dwindling benefits, the equipment never gets repaired, and they use every opportunity to find a way to pay less so they can earn more. Dont know how they manage to stay in business, but its a very common business model.

:facepalm of course you cant fire the owner, they OWN the company. everyone is saying fire the CEO, who was hired by the owners. However I do agree with the rest of your post.

First off...
It's obvious that very many of you guys have absolutely zero idea of what the working world is like or how businesses operate. Join a user group to bring awareness to the fact that Gibson has disgruntled workers? Do any of you who are going on this whole...

"this is terrible! who would've known!"

...have ANY clue what working a REAL job is like for a company? I worked as an intern for a company a few years ago and got shat on by supervisors, managers, was under-appreciated, overworked and overall had a crappy experience, do I get my own usergroup drawing attention to how I didn't like the way _____ treated their interns?

HJ running Gibson into the ground? The workers should unionize? Sorry to disappoint all your little communist fantasies, but I think I should update some of you who clearly don't know the history of Gibson. After Norlin put out substandard Gibson guitars for over a decade, Henry Juszkiewicz saved the company from going bankrupt. And the late 1980s and 1990s saw a HUGE improvement in Gibson's quality compared to the '70s and early '80s, and is a large reason why Gibson guitars still exists today. Yeah, maybe he's an asshole and his workers all hate him, but guess what, this is the real world kiddos, when you work, your boss can be jackass. You might hate him, but guess what? This is not unique to Gibson by a long shot.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2009,
Sounds like the comments of every office worker in the world, Gibson doesn't have a monopoly on this.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by al112987
Juszkiewicz... is a large reason why Gibson guitars still exists today.

pretty much. love your (LP, SG, Explorer, 335)? thank juszkiewicz that your's was even made in the first place. business is business, at least he DOES play guitar. if not he would have sucked Gibson dry and dropped them before 2000.

having said that, there's obviously room for improvement. doesn't sound like working for Gibson is like working for Disney or anything. but not all jobs are fun, even ones where you make badass instruments all day
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by al112987

First off...
It's obvious that very many of you guys have absolutely zero idea of what the working world is like or how businesses operate. Join a user group to bring awareness to the fact that Gibson has disgruntled workers? Do any of you who are going on this whole...

"this is terrible! who would've known!"

...have ANY clue what working a REAL job is like for a company? I worked as an intern for a company a few years ago and got shat on by supervisors, managers, was under-appreciated, overworked and overall had a crappy experience, do I get my own usergroup drawing attention to how I didn't like the way _____ treated their interns?

HJ running Gibson into the ground? The workers should unionize? Sorry to disappoint all your little communist fantasies, but I think I should update some of you who clearly don't know the history of Gibson. After Norlin put out substandard Gibson guitars for over a decade, Henry Juszkiewicz saved the company from going bankrupt. And the late 1980s and 1990s saw a HUGE improvement in Gibson's quality compared to the '70s and early '80s, and is a large reason why Gibson guitars still exists today. Yeah, maybe he's an asshole and his workers all hate him, but guess what, this is the real world kiddos, when you work, your boss can be jackass. You might hate him, but guess what? This is not unique to Gibson by a long shot.

This man speaks the truth. Besides, you guys act like the Zoot sang pooty tang Sg, holy explorer and such wont sell. You know damn well theres gonna be kids who think it's "BR00T4L!" and buy it along with their spider amp.

If you guys dont like the quality of current gibsons then either buy an older gibson, or get a "knock off". Hell you might as well order a custom from warmoth if you want your moneys worth.

But back on topic, the mans running a buisness, sure he might be a bit of an asshole but some people get upset if you look at them the wrong way. Business is business, nothing personal.
Just thinking about this a little more... PRS hired Ted McCarty in to the company in the 1980's when PRS was a bit younger. McCarty had been a lead designer at Gibson in the 50's and 60's. obviously, if Juskiewicz was really concerned about quality and design he could have brought McCarty back in, but like what has been said already; a business is a business.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Sounds like the comments of every office worker in the world, Gibson doesn't have a monopoly on this.

Here's the 2008 rankings: "Out of the 11,519 companies for which employee reviews have been submitted on GlassDoor.com, Gibson Guitars is ranked the fifth-worst, just below RadioShack ..."

http://www.gearwire.com/gibson-lowestrankedemployer.html
Page 1 of 2