I have a Gibson Explorer and I plan on switching out the chrome hardware for black hardware, but I don't want just standard gibson replacements. What are my best options here and about how much will this cost me?
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
I plan on changing the bridge, tuners, pickguard, pickup selector nob, and, if possible, the nut.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
You could get some locking Gotoh's or Grovers if you want an upgrade, and I just bought a TonePro's Bridge and Stopbar set in chrome, they sell them in black as well though. With pickguard's there's really no worry in quality I'd think, just pick one that's the right shade of color you want, if you want black, I tend to prefer three ply, the one that's Black White Black. The nut you should probably go get installed by a professional luthier somewhere. If you want a black one you can get one of those graphite ones.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll probably get a sharp concepts pickguard. Also, will changing the nut damage my guitar in any way

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Not if it's done right. That's why I recommended getting someone who knows how to do it to do it. :P
And those sharp concept ones look a bit expensive. D: I tend to get cheap plastic parts, as they usually don't make a big difference, or any difference at all.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by -Raiden- at Aug 15, 2009,
Yeah but I want a diamond cut black pickguard soooooo yeah...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Ah okay. :P Nevermind then.
Getting a professional to install your nut is so unnecessary. A tiny dab of superglue and string tension will hold it in place wonderfully, you just might have to file down the bottom so it sits at the correct height.

The best brands of hardware that come off the top of my head are schaller, gotoh, tonepros, or any licensed Gibson product. The hardware on high end Gibsons is great, so there really isn't much need to upgrade, You will be happy with anything of the same or higher quality. May I inquire as to why you don't want standard Gibson replacements?

EDIT: As for nut removal, I have this advice: don't be a tool, use the proper tool! Which of course is a block of wood, a razor blade, and a mallet!

1) score all around the edge of the nut to cleanly separate it from the paint

2) place the wooden block on the fretboard so one end is up against the nut.

3) Tap on the end of the wooden block opposite the nut with the mallet. You can see how this applies pressure on the nut in the direction of the headstock.

The nut will tap off with very little effort, put the new one on the way I previously mentioned.

Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Aug 15, 2009,