Page 1 of 2
So, I was told that if a baby were to listen to classical music at a very young age while he/she is sleeping, the baby would most likely to grow up to be very intelligent. I am curious if it is true because I am taking care of a 3 year old and I want him to have a head start on life.

Also, what experiences did you guys have sleeping with music on?
Did anyone read the threadtitle as "sleeping with musician"...?

And no, that's untrue. You don't get intelligent by listening to classical music just like that. I like to sleep with music on because it's calming.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by thejoeman
I am taking care of a 3 year old and I want him to have a head start on life.

You came to the right place for intelligent and thought out answers.

In all honesty I would not sleep with music on and also what about the 'elf' and saftey of a toddlers developing hearing.
Quote by Kensai
I like to sleep with music on because it's calming.

That's exactly the same with me.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by thejoeman
So, I was told that if a baby were to listen to classical music at a very young age while he/she is sleeping, the baby would most likely to grow up to be very intelligent. I am curious if it is true because I am taking care of a 3 year old and I want him to have a head start on life.

Also, what experiences did you guys have sleeping with music on?

I tested this babies using classic rock and disney pop music, I could tell the intelligent one ate through the cord of the cd player to stop the pop music for the others......I was later kicked out of the hospital to do testing elsewhere
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
I have a playlist on my iPod that is just for when I can't fall asleep. Relaxing stuff
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Depending on what I listen to, I have different dreams.
Its really weird, I fell asleep to "in the air tonight" and dreamt about a gorilla playing drums.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by BrashPersona
You came to the right place for intelligent and thought out answers.

In all honesty I would not sleep with music on and also what about the 'elf' and saftey of a toddlers developing hearing.

I'd imagine the music wouldn't be loud at all, and more of a subtle hearing(say like the volume turned down to 1 or 2).
I sleep while listening to Korn and Muse.

What does that mean for me then?
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by LankeyDwarf

It means we roll tonight....
Quote by Kensai

And no, that's untrue. You don't get intelligent by listening to classical music just like that. I like to sleep with music on because it's calming.

what music do you listen to?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I fell asleep to a live Roger Waters show last night and had dreams about all of my friends dying on a cruise ship accident and I was the only survivor...

I think I either need to stop listening to music while I sleep or stop taking the sleep aids I'm prescribed.
Apparently, many people I know have listened to celtic music to fall asleep and have lucid dreams. I am curious to learn more about the correlation is between sleep and music.
Its awesome listening to post rock stuff whilst going to sleep. I dont know about making him more intelligent but its very calming i guess. Try googling it or something to see if theres any actual studies into it. Maybe its just that it makes kids enjoy classical music and people who enjoy classical music generally like to think they're more intelligent :p
Awesome idea. Play him Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite Of Spring". He'll love it.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by papershredder
Depending on what I listen to, I have different dreams.
Its really weird, I fell asleep to "in the air tonight" and dreamt about a gorilla playing drums.

You mean this?

Quote by suckmahnuts
I have a playlist on my iPod that is just for when I can't fall asleep. Relaxing stuff

I have that as well. It's mostly comprised of Joe Satriani and slow Buckethead songs.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
i don't know about babies, but i always sleep w/ music
"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
its probably not true. Play the music for the baby anyway, it can't hurt if it is (edit: not) true.
Last edited by pantera456 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Kensai

I apologize for missing your post.

I'd imagine the baby, just like human under develop, can pick up subtle form of skills and abilities based on thier surroundings. Classical Music, as far I am concerned, has a lot of complex rythyms, and it could be beneficial for one's cognitive abilities.
My only guess would be putting on classical music would inspire a child (or anyone really) to actually think about the composition due to the frequently intertwined pieces and technicality. Classical music frequently has different instruments popping in and out. It arouses the brain and inadvertently may promote brain health. To say it would make a "baby smarter" is kind of far fetched, though.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I can't sleep with music on, because I start focusing on the music, not relaxing.
prolly not true, but the other night i went to bed to dark side and had a dream where david gilmour was my substitute biology teacher
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by due 07
I can't sleep with music on, because I start focusing on the music, not relaxing.

That's part of the point. Your mind focuses on the music, and pretty soon its lost from your body. Depends on what you try to fall asleep to.

I read a website with tips for sleeping and it recomended to listen to burzum's "daudi baldrs" album
Quote by Kensai

Indeed
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Quote by thejoeman

I'd imagine the baby, just like human under develop, can pick up subtle form of skills and abilities based on thier surroundings. Classical Music, as far I am concerned, has a lot of complex rythyms, and it could be beneficial for one's cognitive abilities.

You might imagine that it can, it certainly makes sense on some levels. Purely listening to it won't do the trick though, having the kid studying music is very useful though concering cognitive abilities and perfect pitch is something that might be picked up by young kids. So yes, studying music is good but having the kid only listening isnt very helpful.

Nice of you to be thinking of this though, giving the kid a "headstart" in life

Some articles on the subject

http://ezinearticles.com/?id=39927

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/elementary/Default.aspx?article=classicalmusic
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I really doubt it will to be honest. And even if it doesn, like one night isn't gonna turn him into Albert Einstien. Plus it won't help him have a decent nights sleep.

Plus I doubt a 3 year old will really care about the composition anyway.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by LankeyDwarf

It means you're gay.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by thejoeman

I wonder if BTBAM would have a similiar effect...

I doubt that classical music in itself will help a child be intelligent. I listened to complex music for years without realising, if i was to listen to it now i notice things that i didn't before. I could only see how complex it was now, listening to it with no musical knowledge didn't give me any ear for complexity and i never appreciated it until now.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
I remember I once had a dream when I was 5 years old where I was really small, and I was standing on my computer desk. Next to me was a Jack-o-Lantern, and the Statue of Liberty, and the were both singing "Horse With No Name' by America. I woke up, an that song was on the radio in my room. So generally, I don't like to sleep with music on.
honestly, I grew up as baby/toddler listening to classic rock and metal and I think Im pretty smart
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
well ill say this, don't leave your ipod on shuffle on a nice calm song while Slayer is next, it's not a fun wake up.
Whitewash by Buckethead on repeat makes me sleep like a baby
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
All classical music is played by other musicians, so if that was true, I should be a freakin' genious cause I'm always listening to neoclassical music like Yngwie Malmsteen and Cacophony
Quote by Lil Macker
I really doubt it will to be honest. And even if it doesn, like one night isn't gonna turn him into Albert Einstien. Plus it won't help him have a decent nights sleep.

Plus I doubt a 3 year old will really care about the composition anyway.

Are you sure you don't want to "add" anything else?
jk.

But in all seriousness, it's all in the subconscious baby!

And I've found that the only way to "connect" with your subconscious is through dreams.
Ofc it was through lucid dreaming. and I've only ever managed to do it 3 times, but I can tell ya, it's a strange ****ing thing, and you would be surprised at how much it (the subconscious) knows about everything.
In fact, your subconscious knows you better than you do... which is useful and ****ing freaky at the same time.

Anyway, the point is, the subconscious is where you program the little bastards darlings. They won't "appreciate" the music like you or I can. But it could help them develop an interest from an early age.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I have on several occasions fallen asleep with my headphones in. For some reason, I always end up waking up with the headphones out of my ears and perfectly placed beside my pillow. I must do it in my sleep without realizing it.
i grew up with my dad constantly playing zappa stuff. it might explain why i'm so bizarre.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
sleeping with musician hahaha me too
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
Ever since I began falling asleep to the soundtrack from the movies Donnie Darko and The Chumscrubber, I've been dreaming more often, and my dreams are more vivid and realistic.

The music from these movies is kinda dark, a little ambient, relaxing, and makes much use of piano (in Donnie Darko, at least).
Page 1 of 2