Hello, I'm looking to buy myself an amp around 500$. I mostly play classic rock and looking for the best amp possible but there's so many brands that I don't know where to go. Could anyone help me?

Thanks!
$500 is a lot for a beginner amp, good beginer amps are the vox valvetronix, roland cube and peavey vyper but they are all under $300, seeing as you have $500 take a look at the blackstar ht-5 or peavey classic 30
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by podT at Aug 14, 2009,
A Blackstar HT-5 would be a great practice amp. It's very versatile, low-volume, and has an effects loop and headphone out.
my "crushing overdrive" sense is tingling. the only marshall worth looking at is the marshall haze and that's got it's critics
If you want a bit more wattage than the HT-5, I'd consider the Blackheart Handsome Devil. There's a couple down at my favourite music shop in Kingston and I really dig the classic rock tone I get out of them.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
So much bandwagoning in this thread.
If he plays classic rock, the HT-5 is a poor choice. While it excels at high gain and clean tones, it's not so great at mid gain rock stuff. You'd be better off with a Blackheart Handsome Devil, Peavey Classic 30, Laney LC30, or Traynor YCV20.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
So much bandwagoning in this thread.
If he plays classic rock, the HT-5 is a poor choice. While it excels at high gain and clean tones, it's not so great at mid gain rock stuff. You'd be better off with a Blackheart Handsome Devil, Peavey Classic 30, Laney LC30, or Traynor YCV20.

+1

Go for a handsome devil. 15 watt tube amp is very loud, as long as you don't need cleans that is. Great for classic rock too, better than the blackstar.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If your just starting out, I'd definitely start out with a roland micro cube. You'll upgrade from that eventually, and you can still use it to take it where ever and best of all, it doesn't sound crappy
Get the Marshall MG. It sounds TOTALLY SLAMMING and the overdrive is CRUSHING!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
If you are still looking at the Blackstar HT-5 you should know this:

http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31000

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/blackstar-ht-5-amp-sounds-muffled-90715.html

My recommendation for you is perhaps a used Marshall combo - any type. That will get you the classic rock tone of dozens of bands easily. Either that or look into a Fender amp like the Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr. etc. Or Peavey Classic series like has been mentioned.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl

My recommendation for you is perhaps a used Marshall combo - any type. That will get you the classic rock tone of dozens of bands easily. Either that or look into a Fender amp like the Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr. etc. Or Peavey Classic series like has been mentioned.

any marshall? you mean even including the solid state ones? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
any marshall? you mean even including the solid state ones? o_O

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
hahahahahahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, they're terrible
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont really know classic rock too well, however I did see a kid using a small VOX combo and it sounded amazing for rock.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Whatever you do please please please, in the name of the Gods of Rock, DO NOT get a Marshall MG series!! If you have to go with Marshall, go with a Class 5. Fender Blues Jr. or Traynor YCV20 are good options too. Cheers!
He has a $500 budget - doesn't mean he has to spend $500 on an amp!

Any beginner amp is just to get him to understand effects/sounds an amp can make IMO - not something you may end up keeping later on once oyu decide what you want your sound to be.

So go with a 30w+ Line6 Spider, Vypyr, Mustang, or other modelling amp. Loud enough to play a band with, and has some built in effects to play with. Anything will sound pretty damn decent coming from them, and other than spending too much time on this forum you'll probably like it enough to last you 1-2 years.