I'm looking a humbucker that sounds like a single coil. (not a humbucker sized single coil).
Like this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu28kxsp7i8 and a lot of hendrix stuff.
This pickup is going in the neck.

The two main pickups i'm looking at are the dimarzio humbucker from hell and the seymour duncan stag mag. Anyone have experience with either of these pickups?

Thanks in advance
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You can make a humbucker sound like a single coil with coil tapping which will cut out one of the coil, or series/parallel switching for the pickup. If you go with coil tapping it won't be hum-canceling, but, if I'm not mistaken, it'll be hum-canceling if you do the series/parallel switching.
Quote by Locked_Deadbolt
You can make a humbucker sound like a single coil with coil tapping which will cut out one of the coil, or series/parallel switching for the pickup. If you go with coil tapping it won't be hum-canceling, but, if I'm not mistaken, it'll be hum-canceling if you do the series/parallel switching.

I'm aware of this but i'd rather have the humbucker naturally have the single coil "honk" or "twang" or whatever you call it.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You won't get it without a single-coil there. Coil Tapping is probably the most viable option.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
fender noiseless pickups... it's a single coil with a dummy coil under it so it sounds like a single coil, yet doesn't have the hum
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Woogles
I'm aware of this but i'd rather have the humbucker naturally have the single coil "honk" or "twang" or whatever you call it.
There are two ways to get close to this, using both coils of a HB:

Use a severely underwound pickup with the coils wired in series.
Use a normal or slightly overwound pickup with the coils wired in parallel.

Humbucker from Hell is probably a bit too "hot", but you might have some success with it in parallel.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ohspyro89
The best way to go, is definitely Joe Barden Two/Tones. They are expensive as hell, but the best design I have heard. It sounds like a single coil, but keeps humbucking capabilities. I've played them personally, and they are great pickups.

The Joe Bardens look interesting. Might have to check those out. I usually wouldn't buy pickups that expensive but I am putting them in a pretty expensive guitar.
Quote by brandooon