so, it's my birthday soon
and i decided i want to get a really good pedal
and for ages i've loved the sound of the digitech whammy pedal and the digitech harmony man.
but which do i get?!?!
i cant decide so i'm handing my birthday present choice over to you, Oh Wise UGers
Quote by flamster
Yes I AM jealous.

^ about me
Whammy!

But make sure the Digitech Whammy is suitable for you, I've known countless people who've bought a whammy, then suddenly realised a few days later it isn't for them.
The two are completely different. They're both harmonizers but the harmonies on the Whammy are all perfect, meaning that they never change depending on what you're playing. The Harmony Man is intelligent, so you can program what key you're in and the intervals and harmonies will be set to that key.

Here's an example:

Say you're playing a song in the key of C. The notes in the key are C, D, E, F, G, A, B. Everybody knows that. If you set the Whammy to a third up, it's going to harmonize a major third above any note that you play. If you play a D note with the harmony set to a third up while the song is in the key of C it's going to sound a little weird because a D in the key of C is a minor triad. However, if you had the Harmony Man you could set it to the Key of C and all your notes will fit into the key. Sometimes the perfect interval sound (Whammy) sounds pretty cool. Think "Know Your Enemy" by RATM. That's set in 5ths.

And the Whammy can do other things besides Harmonize. Like Octave up, 2 Octaves up, Octave Down, Divebomb, Detune, blah blah blah all that stuff. Just think of what your needs are.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The Whammy is good as a pitch shifter but the harmonies are a bit lacking.

Check out the Harmony Man or the Electro-Harmonix POG if harmonies are mainly what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Whammy is good for strange noises mostly. I bought one because of Tom Morello, but I rarely even use it anymore for the Whammy part. I mainly use the Deep detune setting for a bit of chorus along with a delay.
The WH-4 is also a pain in the ass because it constantly needs re-calibrating. Mine is so bad (even just after I calibrate it) that the whammy is practically unusable. As soon as you turn it on everything jumps up about a whole step. It doesnt return to the original pitch very well. POG's are great too, I think they have an expression pedal jack so you can use it like a whammy?
The POG is also about $320 and does not have an expression pedal out.

You're thinking of the HOG, which is also a monster in terms of price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by littlephil
The WH-4 is also a pain in the ass because it constantly needs re-calibrating. Mine is so bad (even just after I calibrate it) that the whammy is practically unusable. As soon as you turn it on everything jumps up about a whole step.

Not to hijack the thread, but I also own a WH-4 and it does that to me sometimes. How do you recalibrate it?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I'd go with the Harmony man or a POG. i used to have a Whammy, and the tracking is sh*t. you play a chord, and it's all "doodley doodley ding doodley ding bing doodley warble"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
I'd go with the Harmony man or a POG. i used to have a Whammy, and the tracking is sh*t. you play a chord, and it's all "doodley doodley ding doodley ding bing doodley warble"

That's because few harmonizers are meant to be played with chords. Technically speaking, a chord is a harmonization of a note anyway. So you'd be reharmonizing a harmony already.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Not to hijack the thread, but I also own a WH-4 and it does that to me sometimes. How do you recalibrate it?

unplug the power, push on the footswitch, plug the power back in, rock the pedal back on forth a few times. the lights should move back and forth while you rock it if you've done it right.

the manual explains it more thoroughly.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by VoodooCow229
That's because few harmonizers are meant to be played with chords. Technically speaking, a chord is a harmonization of a note anyway. So you'd be reharmonizing a harmony already.

well, the pog doesn't seem to have that problem. one of the reasons i bought my whammy was to use it as a pseudo 12 string. big mistake.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
The reason why is because the POG is polyphonic (which would require better hardware) and the Whammy is only monophonic.

Also, the Whammy 4 is fairly old, I think... didn't they bring it out in 2003 or something? It's about time Digitech came out with a WH-5.

Or even better: a Hardwire Whammy...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
well, the pog doesn't seem to have that problem. one of the reasons i bought my whammy was to use it as a pseudo 12 string. big mistake.

The POG is more of an octave pedal than a harmonizer. I guess I should redefine what I mean by harmonizer. The Whammy and Harmony Man synthesize notes other than the input note, i.e. intervals. While octaves are intervals, I'm using interval to mean a note other than a 1 (8). The POG was also created to be played with chords. It seems to me that it would be easier to make a clear sound when you play chords with an octave pedal rather than playing chords and harmonizing every note in the chord, thus making the Whammy sound pretty bad when played with chords.

Basically, POG=octaves. Whammy=Tom Morello.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.