Hey there everyone. So I want to start learning the fretboard now and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good free software program that helped them a lot to learn the fretboard. I want to be able to learn it easily and fast, also I would like the program to have a playback option of notes so I can learn notes from their sounds too. Thanks for the help in advance.
Learning to sight read a bit helped me the most, really. But the website therealtater mentions should help.

But as for invervals, using GNU Solfege and drilling melodic intervals with the fretboard interface really helped me get my intervals down. It's also great ear training. Basically, it'll play one note, then another note. The first note is displayed on the fretboard, and you must click where the second note is.

So if you recognize that it just played a minor third down, you click on the note a minor third down from the one it's showing, and it'll tell you if you got it right or not.

Anyways, it's free and generally nice software. It does a whole lot more than what I described. You can find it at:

http://solfege.org
I saw this exact same thread maybe a week ago...
Please...please use the searchbar, it's there for a reason
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Howeman
Hey there everyone. So I want to start learning the fretboard now and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good free software program that helped them a lot to learn the fretboard. I want to be able to learn it easily and fast, also I would like the program to have a playback option of notes so I can learn notes from their sounds too. Thanks for the help in advance.

There is one piece of hardware that you probably already have that can help you with all those, it's called:

Your Guitar.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
There is one piece of hardware that you probably already have that can help you with all those, it's called:

Your Guitar.

+1

That's all you need. Just go trough it one string at a time and get used to where everything is.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
hey i'm actually trying to memorize the fretboard also and an exercise i picked up from another forum and is supposedly something joe satriani recommended at one of his workshops is using a metronome. first you put the metronome on like 40 or something and then you find for example the note E everywhere on the fretboard playing it everytime to land on the metronome's as far as software goes i don't know any. but this is working for me and i'm sure it'll work for you too. good luck
You don't really need a program to help you with it. Just memorize your octaves.

By that I mean, learn the notes on the E and A strings, then learn there the octaves of those notes are on the D and G strings. So if you're looking for the A note on the D string, you'll know that if it's on the 5th fret of the E string, it'll be on the 7th fret on the D string. Eventually if you do this enough you'll stop seeing octaves and you'll just see where all the notes naturally lay.
learn the open strings and then you have learned fret 12..use absolute fretboard trainer make sure you are playing them fast without looking

learn the thick e string horozontally E 0 F 1 FSHARP 2 ETC
you have now learned 2 strings on the guitar both Es

learn the A string this way also reason being because these are vital for barre chord and scale recognition

learn the notes close to fret 0 and 12 remembering the golden rule

there is a fret gap between ALL main notes EXCEPT E to F and B to C

learn fret 5 (which is also fret 17)vertically All Day Ginger Cats Eat Apples
learn fret 10(also fret 22) vertically David Gets Cat Food All Day

play transposable scales and say the notes while you play:- start with Cmajor fret 8 as it has no sharps and no flats. C D E F G A B C

play octaves around the neck and try to instantly recognise the octave from the root, then do the same with perfect 5ths on absolute fretboard trainer

in addition have a fretboard diagram on your wall
Even though there have been plenty of these threads, I feel like sharing this with everyone

A great way to learn both the fretboard and standard notation is by transcribing songs from sheet music. I just recently started doing this and it's helped me a lot because you have to find the right fingerings and such so you really get to know your stuff.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.