Page 1 of 3
Does anybody else think that the media attention that every dead soldier gets is a little OTT? I think theres been 199 british soldiers killed since the start of the Iraq war and Afghanistan and every time somebody is killed theres massive media attention. i dont know if this is the case in America but certainly in Britain they never seem to mention all the civilians killed in these places due to mistakes and such

People join the army to fight for their country and are fully aware of the risk that they are undertaking, which is why i dont understand why they get so much attention. People die all the time but they get no attention from the media.

Anybody else feel the same?

tl;dr: dead soldiers, too much media attention?

edit: sorry if that came across llike i dont care. i obviously have respect for these people that give their lives but the media tries to portray that this 1 person's death is going to effect everybody, not just the family members of the deceased.
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Last edited by wheatmore at Aug 14, 2009,
Not the case in America because over 4000 have died already...
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Quote by rmr024
manipulative strategy the media uses? Maybe? dunno,.

That. It's good propoganda for the war. Makes people feel for the dead soldiers, blame the other side killing our troops, and support the war.
Weekend Warrior
thats the media for you. Whenever the media talks about someones death its always way to much. As with micheal jackson. The media has a total disregard for the terms rest in peace and respect for the dead.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by wheatmore
they never seem to mention all the civilians killed in these places due to mistakes and such

Very much so. It's a one-sided media, not sure why... In Australia the stations that give well-rounded news are the unpopular ones (i.e. ABC and SBS). Same thing when for example a plane crash happens overseas, they go "TWO AUSTRALIANS KILLED IN PLANE CRASH oyeahandaboutsixtyotherforeigners".
There are no civilians in the iraq conflict, only the good guys and the evil communist islamic jesuskilling abortionists who come from mexico (probably) to steal good old american jobs while living on benefits GOD DAMNIT IF ONLY DIANA WAS HERE and destroying british and american culture.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
So you don't approve of honoring dead soldiers that fight to serve your country?

That's not right...
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Kensai
There are no civilians in the iraq conflict, only the good guys and the evil communist islamic jesuskilling abortionists who come from mexico (probably) to steal good old american jobs while living on benefits GOD DAMNIT IF ONLY DIANA WAS HERE and destroying british and american culture.

you forgot global warming.....
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Quote by wheatmore
you forgot global warming.....

AAAND GLOBAL WARMING DAMNIT!!!

If only prince charles was here.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
War pays it's as simple as that. Sad to see a world detiriorated by nonsense and greed. I guess puttin gdown the gun isn't an option cuz obviously it signs the paychecks of many.....But respect to the men and women who are risking their lives so I don't have to.
Last edited by TheJCLK83 at Aug 14, 2009,
A British soldier died in a warzone.

Seriously? Somebody died in a warzone? ****, didn't expect that.

Completely agree its OTT, I don't see what you expect to happen, I have no sympathy for the person, and very little for the family. I'm very patriotic but I do not advocate going into a war like this in any way.
Quote by wheatmore
Does anybody else think that the media attention that every dead soldier gets is a little OTT? I think theres been 199 british soldiers killed since the start of the Iraq war and Afghanistan and every time somebody is killed theres massive media attention. i dont know if this is the case in America but certainly in Britain they never seem to mention all the civilians killed in these places due to mistakes and such

People join the army to fight for their country and are fully aware of the risk that they are undertaking, which is why i dont understand why they get so much attention. People die all the time but they get no attention from the media.

Anybody else feel the same?

tl;dr: dead soldiers, too much media attention?

edit: sorry if that came across llike i dont care. i obviously have respect for these people that give their lives but the media tries to portray that this 1 person's death is going to effect everybody, not just the family members of the deceased.

Fuck you TS.
Your sitting on your ass, while brave men and women are fighting for your country
and your complaining that when one of them gets killed in the line of duty, they get to much media attention.
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by sk8board3r
Fuck you TS.
Your sitting on your ass, while brave men and women are fighting for your country
and your complaining that when one of them gets killed in the line of duty, they get to much media attention.

Are they?

Are they really fighting for our country?

Or are they fighting for a false ideal that will never be realized due to the fact that the middle east isnt going to change because we say it will?

Now get off your high horse unless youre over there fighting in the war yourself.

This war's casualties are pathetic compared to past wars, THATS what TS was getting at.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by rmr024
manipulative strategy the media uses? Maybe? dunno,.

this, and that the media stays up all night hoping that someone dies so that they have something to talk about the next day

I was watching cnn after billy mays died and they were talkin about him and the scrollbar thing at the botton had :

something about a shooting in a gym
change in medicare bill
and somethin about the war

BUT BILLY MAYS AND A STRAW WERE MORE IMPORTANT

****ing media, thats why I dont watch the news alot
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by valennic
Are they?

Are they really fighting for our country?

Or are they fighting for a false ideal that will never be realized due to the fact that the middle east isnt going to change because we say it will?

Now get off your high horse unless youre over there fighting in the war yourself.

This war's casualties are pathetic compared to past wars, THATS what TS was getting at.

i disagree with literally everything said in this statement.
Quote by Unourrit01
i disagree with literally everything said in this statement.

Ok, then state why.

Personally I dont give a rats ass if you disagree if you cant refute my statement.

The points of threads is to discuss shiz, now discuss!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
So you don't approve of honoring dead soldiers that fight to serve your country?

That's not right...

Good job trying to turn a sort of complex issue into an unrealistic black-and-white issue, but I'm afraid that's not how an argument works.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by valennic
Ok, then state why.

Personally I dont give a rats ass if you disagree if you cant refute my statement.

The points of threads is to discuss shiz, now discuss!

well first off they sign up for the military to fight for the country. they are trained to. the point of the military is to protect the country. even thought that may not be the case in iraq, it is in afganistan.

secondly, anyone that is not in the miltary or hasent been, should respect it for the fact that you have a much less chance of being shot at every week.

third, it doesnt matter if 200,000 or 4000 people died in the war. its still people dying in a war. their are not 10+ countries envolved in this heavily like world wars. its mainly 2 countries with the british and a couple others giving some troops so 4000 is a lot.
I compare the casualties of the "terrorists" and the caucasian troops and I feel more sympathy for the brownies.
hue
Quote by Unourrit01
well first off they sign up for the military to fight for the country. they are trained to. the point of the military is to protect the country. even thought that may not be the case in iraq, it is in afganistan.

secondly, anyone that is not in the miltary or hasent been, should respect it for the fact that you have a much less chance of being shot at every week.

third, it doesnt matter if 200,000 or 4000 people died in the war. its still people dying in a war. their are not 10+ countries envolved in this heavily like world wars. its mainly 2 countries with the british and a couple others giving some troops so 4000 is a lot.

Protect us by creating more Osama Bin Ladens every day? or do you expect the children of dead rebels to say "well he was a terrorist so he had it coming USA! USA!"

Well since more Osama's will be made they are actually increasing our chance of dying.

You don't need to have a story on every channel when one soldier is killed. Saying in the bottom text (whatever it's called) during the news that says "3 soldiers killed by road bomb" doesn't bother me at all, soldiers died, that's bad. They don't need to have a whole segment dedicated to it. I would much prefer at the end of the week just say "X soldiers died this week their names were..."
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
The only thing i find disgusting is that they post news of soldiers dying in iraq then straight after it's the latest news on Peter Andre and that slapper Katy Price...
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Lots O' FX
Protect us by creating more Osama Bin Ladens every day? or do you expect the children of dead rebels to say "well he was a terrorist so he had it coming USA! USA!"

Well since more Osama's will be made they are actually increasing our chance of dying.

You don't need to have a story on every channel when one soldier is killed. Saying in the bottom text (whatever it's called) during the news that says "3 soldiers killed by road bomb" doesn't bother me at all, soldiers died, that's bad. They don't need to have a whole segment dedicated to it. I would much prefer at the end of the week just say "X soldiers died this week their names were..."

before i say anything else, i do not fully agree with the iraq war but i support the soilders. im mainly focusing toward afgan.

honestly why should we give a **** about there children? did they give a **** about the people who died in 9/11 or their children? anyone envolved with the taliban or al queda should be hunted down.

and i rarely ever see segments on dead soliders. i always just see these many people died today in iraq/ afganistan. i think the men or women who spend their lives finding the people who tried and succeeded in killing americans, should get 2 minutes for training and putting their lives on the line for that.
Depends on what kind of attention

If the media is saying 4000 have died! PULL OUT! Then that's a little too much attention and to be honest it disgusts me.

If the media is saying RIP to the 4000, another couple brave soldiers died in an IED explosion, then it's honorable.
4000 soldiers died.
How many non-soldiers?

How about how many people die in places like Darfur? How many people KNOW about places like Darfur?
they dont get enough attention. i only know one person that has the stones to fight in iraq (hich school friend) and he's about to go out on his third trip. the survivors of war deserve much more than they get and those who didn't (thanks and r.i.p.) deserve just as much attention and most definitely a memorial...

Quote by Unourrit01
honestly why should we give a **** about there children? did they give a **** about the people who died in 9/11 or their children? anyone envolved with the taliban or al queda should be hunted down.

+1. as far as i see it, its either them or us...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Unourrit01
before i say anything else, i do not fully agree with the iraq war but i support the soilders. im mainly focusing toward afgan.

and i rarely ever see segments on dead soliders. i always just see these many people died today in iraq/ afganistan. i think the men or women who spend their lives finding the people who tried and succeeded in killing americans, should get 2 minutes for training and putting their lives on the line for that.

... His point was by going to war and killing their parents they'll just want to be terrorists like their parents, it had nothing to do with "caring about there children".
Making the soldiers seem like heroes is blasphemy. There's nothing heroic about war. Alot of the soldiers are criminals using their authority in perverse ways to satisfy their perverse needs. Alot of the soldiers aren't there because 'GOD BLESS AMERICA LOLOLOLOL', but the amount of fairly easy money that can be earned by being dumb meat. I'm serious. My country has soldiers there and several have died and noone cares, because that's just the risk of their job. Yes, they're there for the money and shouldn't be mourned. They earn about 5x the average wage.

Furthermore, they do not represent us, the people, but the elite who control them. The war is not in people's interest and there's nothing anyone has gained from the war, except arms manufacturers who need an outlet of products that have accumulated over the years and oil mafiosos who steal the resources of another country.
Last edited by zwound at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by zwound
Making the soldiers seem like heroes is blasphemy. There's nothing heroic about war. Alot of the soldiers are criminals using their authority in perverse ways to satisfy their perverse needs. Alot of the soldiers aren't there because 'GOD BLESS AMERICA LOLOLOLOL', but the amount of fairly easy money that can be earned by being dumb meat. I'm serious. My country has soldiers there and several have died and noone cares, because that's just the risk of their job. Yes, they're there for the money and shouldn't be mourned. They earn about 5x the average wage.

Furthermore, they do not represent us, the people, but the elite who control them. The war is not in people's interest and there's nothing anyone has gained from the war, except arms manufacturers who need an outlet of products that have accumulated over the years and oil mafiosos who steal the resources of another country.

+1
Quote by zwound

Apart from the unfounded generalisations about soldiers being criminals, I completely agree with this.
Quote by Unourrit01

Because they're humans and.. you know children. I'll put it in a way you can agree with, US keeps bombing the bad guys and more bad guys related to those bad guys will be recruited and probably feel more of a passion to fight since the "infidels" killed their father/uncle/brothers.
Why hunt them down? We're just killing them to get back at them at this point, not about justice, its about revenge and malice. And if, WW2 is any indication, it is not a good idea to let those dictate foreign relations or military operations.
You can't defeat the Taliban or Al Queda without killing more or less everyone in the country.

Quote by zwound

Pretty much all of this too
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Last edited by Lots O' FX at Aug 14, 2009,
what are we supposed to do then? just let the people who planned and are still planning terrorists attacks against us attack? we have to have to go after those guys.
Quote by Unourrit01
what are we supposed to do then? just let the people who planned and are still planning terrorists attacks against us attack? we have to have to go after those guys.

you should ask yourself why the US are or were target of terrorist attacks and countries like Belarus and the republic of the Congo arent. you ask for it, you get it.
Quote by Unourrit01

There are more than two possibilities. Trying to turn a complex issue into a black-and-white one is a manipulative, though-stopping argument and I don't like it.

For example, we could stay in our own countries and try and prevent the attacks. We could use more subtle methods to go after them than just invading the shit out of entire countries.
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 3