So I've been playing a year and a half I've learned the general Major chords pretty well

C, D, E, F, G, A, B and so on and also the minors Cm, Dm, Em, F#m, Gm, Am, Bm ( barred chords are kind of a hassle I still can't switch from them fast enough) and so on

I've practiced a lot of songs in the past year to work on my chords and stuff like that I've gotten pretty good at them.
Atleast I think so.. but now I'm stumped.. I have no idea where to go from here.
I don't know what to learn next.. I know there is so much out there for me to learn still but I was hoping if you guys could point me in the right direction?
Just name some stuff I could look up on the internet so I can start learning new stuff?

As I mentioned I'm still pretty new I've only learned the major chords and the minor chords and also some barre ones.
Last edited by Know at Aug 14, 2009,
if you're not fingerpicking, you could learn the less basic chords. i also vote for scales since they would allow you to really get to know your fingerboard and also learn to play leads.
Yes, scales are good. More complex chords and different chord voicings are GREAT to learn too. This means tetrads (chords with four notes, such as maj7, m7, 7 [dominant 7], and even extensions such as 9ths, 11ths and 13ths. Also you're gonna want to learn how the chords are formed (and what "suspended" chords are and how they are built as well as "add" chords).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I'm sorry but what exactly are "scales"? I tried googling but I got no answers on what they really are.
There are also so many different scales which one do I start with?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBrV3RNUz4g

here is a scale in several locations on the neck

Quote by Know
I'm sorry but what exactly are "scales"? I tried googling but I got no answers on what they really are.
There are also so many different scales which one do I start with?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Last edited by patticake at Aug 14, 2009,
I agree with everyone.

Also, try learning some more chords, and maybe even reading up on technique.

Know how to play a Major 7? or just a 7? or a diminished? augmented? They're fun to learn.

Try learning other positions for the chords as well. unless you already have.
Don't neglect advancing with right-hand technique, either. Try the host of different methods of producing sound, from tapping to slapping the top to fingerpicking...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break