I'm playing a gig in a few weeks and I need to bring an amp head to hook up to the cabinets. My friend said I can do this, but is it possible to hook up a line 6 spider 3, 75 watt amp to cabinet.
u can, but why? its a spider...

EDIT: yea i should probably also help. if its like a normal amp (normal being anything other than a spider), it should audio outputs to hookup to a cab.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Last edited by a7xsteve at Aug 14, 2009,
the only thing on the spider would be an audio out (the headphones input) so it wouldnt be a quality head but it would work...
Spiders suck for practice amps, I wouldn't even consider gigging with one.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Night_Warrior
Well the line 6 spider 3 isnt a head
This. It's a combo amp. A headphone output is not going to work, seeing as a headphone output is not a fully powered (sorry for my lack of knowledge of the terminology), whereas a cabinet output would output the full 75 watts. If you want to plug into cabinets you're gonna have to rewire the amp, which I'm assuming you are not willing to do. You're best of micing your amp and having it run through the PA system.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
^
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Nice comic.
Your best hooking the amp to a PA with a mic. If the spider is anything like all of the other small combo amps, they usually only have the headphone out which I suppose you *could* hook into it somehow but I doubt you will get a strong and crisp sound from it.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Just use it as it is. Adding extra speakers will not give you any advantages, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Srsly.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by wildwildwes594
Spiders suck for practice amps, I wouldn't even consider gigging with one.

how can an amp suck for practice? All it has to do is make clean noise, distortion noise, and as an extra plus, it has mediocre effects. What more can you ask for out of a practice amp?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Just use it as it is. Adding extra speakers will not give you any advantages, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Srsly.
This. They'll most likely mic up the amp anyway. Don't worry about it.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by apak
how can an amp suck for practice? All it has to do is make clean noise, distortion noise, and as an extra plus, it has mediocre effects. What more can you ask for out of a practice amp?

I like the sound of a good amp when I'm practicing and I spend waaaaaay more time practicing than I do playing out. Life is too short to be playing crappy amps anyway.
Quote by BobDetroit
I like the sound of a good amp when I'm practicing and I spend waaaaaay more time practicing than I do playing out. Life is too short to be playing crappy amps anyway.

Tell that to a kid that cant afford a nice one and tell me you can sleep soundly at night. If you can, and do, youve become an elitist. Im not trying to be a dick, but amp bashing gets us nowhere.

Its just an amp, not an extension of your.....well you get the idea. His question wasnt "Should I get a new amp"? It was "Will this setup work?"

TS: Yes it will work, you can run the line out into a speaker cab at the correct ohms rating. But I would mic the combo if I was the sound tech.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Tell that to a kid that cant afford a nice one and tell me you can sleep soundly at night. If you can, and do, youve become an elitist. Im not trying to be a dick, but amp bashing gets us nowhere.

Its just an amp, not an extension of your.....well you get the idea. His question wasnt "Should I get a new amp"? It was "Will this setup work?"

TS: Yes it will work, you can run the line out into a speaker cab at the correct ohms rating. But I would mic the combo if I was the sound tech.

Amen to that
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

That would be a valid argument if there weren't any better amps at that price, but there are. Even more so when you get into the price range of the 75w, not to mention the 100w half stacks.

TS, your best bet is to just mic the amp & hook it up to the PA.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Last edited by ub3r_bassist666 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

Yay for standing up against the elitist attitude. First the amp bashers, and next the classical guitarists! (The classical guitarists part tongue in cheek, I like classical guitar too. Still, some are super elitists.)
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
There will always be somebody with garbage equipment, and then somebody else that will trash it, and then somebody else who will trash the trasher for trashing it.

Happens EVERY SINGLE thread about a Spider/MG/Frontman.
I wish we could have a Spider thread without the bashing. For it's price, it's an amazing amp. If you want better or worse, that's subjective. In all honesty, someone could prefer the tone of a Spider to that 3K+ Diezel VH4 that UG seems to cream over. Personal preference guys, get used to it.

Also, to TS: If you can't use a PA to mic up your amp a bit, then hooking it up to a cab will not make it any better at gigging volumes. At that point, it probably just doesn't have the power to play the venue/overpower a drummer, etc
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

I certainly didn't mean to bash anyone's gear and if you were offended by my careless comment I apologize.
theres no point hooking it up to a cab its already got two speakers another 4 will just make it push more air either hook it up to a PA or just play normally
Quote by BobDetroit
I certainly didn't mean to bash anyone's gear and if you were offended by my careless comment I apologize.

No offense taken.

Im just tired of bashing, hating, and acting like the only thing the Spider and Mg and FM are good for is kindling. Whi gives a s*** what people buy with thier money. Its not like every kid in the world can have UG personal amp shoppers.

I thought Guitar Elitists were the worst, you know? Always talking about "I dont play that garbage, or that band is gay." I was wrong. Gear Elitists are worse. Not that I am saying that you are, but you must realize, bashing someone for owning a piece of equipment that you dont like is childish.

I will defend the little guy, the poor guy, the misinformed, and those that own spiders.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Okay, first of all, you WILL NOT be able to hook it up with a cab. Playing a gig with a Spider III isn't even a good idea in the first place.

And second of all, guys, it's not like anyone in the crowd is gonna be worried about what his amp sounds like... I once played a "show" for everyone in the show choir and their parents and stuff and I used a Spider III (just cuz it was the only amp I had at the time) and no one cared that my tone sounded like **** except for me, cuz I still played really good...

Most music listeners who don't actually play guitar don't really care about tone. I mean, look at Dimebag... His tone makes me want to tear out my eyeballs, throw up on them, eat them up, and throw them back up again, but some consider him one of the best (I'm not one of those some, but still...)
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Aug 17, 2009,
That really is my point.

I've heard several people say that they were not fans of Dimebag's tone, saying it was crap and what not. Thats cool, its your opinion. Eddie, Zack, Kerry and Jerry would disagree with you, and I am a bit more inclined to follow them, and yet I formulate my own opinion.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204