Like the title says, I was just wondering how important the fifth of the chord is to the overall sound of it. I know the 3rd is where most of the tonality is. I just seem to remember coming across some extended chords like add chords that had the root and 3rd but no fifth. Do you treat this as a normal chord? How does this work?

Thanks
Well since the human ear has a hard time differentiating (sp?) between the root and fifth (that's why power chords sound good), not very important. In jazz, the fifth is usually omitted either to fit more important notes in, or to give a simpler, "less cluttered" tone to the chord (coupled with the finger-style (or hybrid style) chord playing) (sorry about all the brackets).
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Its usually the least important note in the chord. Especially when you have a 7th acting as the dominant
I'd say fifths are neccesary in triads but nowhere else. When you get into some chords the root is also left out sometimes if your playing with a bass player it is not neccesary.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
dont you use 5th's in harmonizing?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712

NOOOOO!!!! That gets very stale very fast. You use thirds and things to keep it musical. A riff with fifths on top sounds like the same riff. Thats why power chord riffs aren't progressions. Power chords are basically one beefed-up note.

This was originally a rule of classical music, that parallel fifths and octaves are very stale and should be avoided.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Thirds and sevenths are the most important. Fifths are important when they are altered #5, b5.
Quote by bass-man9712

No, that's terribly frowned upon (at least outside of the rock world).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
In reality, fifth's aren't very important at all. Unless you're writing a riff, then they are. They're used in power chords...but personally I believe chords sound fine. It's the third that defines if it is major or minor. The second & fourths would make it suspended, the sixths would make it a....6 chord...lol, idk. And sevenths are sevenths. So really the fifth doesn't mean anything. Poor kid.
Quote by Ribcage
NOOOOO!!!! That gets very stale very fast. You use thirds and things to keep it musical. A riff with fifths on top sounds like the same riff. Thats why power chord riffs aren't progressions. Power chords are basically one beefed-up note.

This was originally a rule of classical music, that parallel fifths and octaves are very stale and should be avoided.

lol very good to know thanks
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I always thought it was because the fifth already rings out rather prominently in the harmonic overtones of the root (the 3rd harmonic is an octave and a fifth above the 1st)

so playing the fifth only adds more power to the root note (e.g: power chords where thats all you're playing)

Quote by bass-man9712

only if you're slayer
Quote by jsepguitar
Thirds and sevenths are the most important. Fifths are important when they are altered #5, b5.
Thiiiissss.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Not very, unless your playing rock.
you can play everything with a 5th and everything without. How important is merely a matter of personal taste
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Originally Posted by Ribcage
A riff with fifths on top sounds like the same riff. Thats why power chord riffs aren't progressions. Power chords are basically one beefed-up note.

^^^if you are playing a power chord all by itself then yes, but that is what a melody is for.
Also, if you play an E chord muting the g string, then you have a more rounded power chord that can sound good in context. It is all about context.

And if a power chord is a beefed-up note, then the fifth is very important because some notes need beefing up to stand out. It's all about context

Hey......It's all about context
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by seljer
I always thought it was because the fifth already rings out rather prominently in the harmonic overtones of the root (the 3rd harmonic is an octave and a fifth above the 1st)

so playing the fifth only adds more power to the root note (e.g: power chords where thats all you're playing)

only if you're slayer

The fifth is important. However it is as seljer says prominant in the root note itself. Hence you can leave it out completely and it's still there. It is also such a strong harmonic companion to the root that when you leave it out you can still hear it, somewhat in the harmonic overtones and somewhat in your head (as a result of your expecting to hear it).

The fifth does add power to the root note. Not just in power chords but in any chord. It is called the "dominant" for a reason and reinforcing that harmonic overtone really emphasizes the root note as the root note. Hence having it can help determine the root of the chord.

It is, as has been mentioned, very harmonious with the root. As such it does not provide any dissonance or interest. It is the most consonant interval (after the unison and octaves). As such it doesn't add much in the way of flavour to a chord. This is done through the more dissonant intervals of the third and seventh - and whatever other chords tones are thrown in to spice things up.
Si
The perfect fifth is an important melodic interval, but not an important harmonic interval. The diminished and augmented fifths are important harmonically, however.
Quote by bass-man9712

Thats gregorian chant. But you would use fifths sometimes, but not all fifths. I would assume the fifth is pretty important in all rock though, considering its what makes a power chord powerful. ANd where would we be now if it werent for the powerchord?
I like sharped fourth a lot. It lets you have many options to resolve it, if you want to.
The song explains an emotion, as an end to lifelong mysteries, and the fantasy, for the fantasy is final result of reality...
Fantasy Engines
Josip Pesut
Quote by Thepredster
Time to inset a question-
Are power chords even chords? Or are they Dyads???

Dyads, or intervals. A chord has three or more different notes.

That's why this (a three string power chord shape):

x
x
x

is not a chord. Though there are three notes, there are only two different notes.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 14, 2009,