Lately, I've been working on getting a new fuzz. Right now, I'm using the one in my Zoom multi-effects, but I find it harsh, noisy, and trebley. So, I was wondering: For about $100-150, what would be the best fuzz for a Dan Auerbach tone like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ

I've been looking at the Analog.man Sunface and a Sovtek Green Big Muff. Would either of these work well?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
well i know for a fact that one of the fuzzes he uses is a sovtek green muff, so that's a good starting point. i have the regular black russian big muff, and it get's a half-decent keys tone for the price.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
I wouldn't get a sunface for thickfreakness tones. The Sovtek muff would work, look into an earthquaker devices hoof fuzz, mjm foxey fuzz, as well.

Anyway, russian muff clones and/or tonebender clones, there are lots of options in both those categories.
I know for a fact he uses a sunface, at least in all the pics of his pedal board I've seen.
Quote by getmad24_7
I know for a fact he uses a sunface, at least in all the pics of his pedal board I've seen.

I'm sure he does, but not on that song. Pretty sure it was a fulltone soulbender, possibly a mfz-1
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by pak1351
I wouldn't get a sunface for thickfreakness tones. The Sovtek muff would work, look into an earthquaker devices hoof fuzz, mjm foxey fuzz, as well.

Anyway, russian muff clones and/or tonebender clones, there are lots of options in both those categories.

This. Pretty much any tonebender or big muff will work, the russian and triangle and before muffs being the best for it.

Also, look into Maestro, Guild, and Mosrite fuzzes, if you can find them.
Quote by getmad24_7

Really?

Doesn't look like there's one there... And I took this picture myself in Pomona, at The Glass House on the Attack and Release tour.
Quote by pak1351
I'm sure he does, but not on that song. Pretty sure it was a fulltone soulbender, possibly a mfz-1

I'm 80% sure he used a Maestro MFZ-1 for the majority of that album, and a tonebender MKII clone (could have been the soulbender) for Rubber Factory. I could be backwards, though.
Quote by imgooley
I'm 80% sure he used a Maestro MFZ-1 for the majority of that album, and a tonebender MKII clone (could have been the soulbender) for Rubber Factory. I could be backwards, though.

yeah, i forget the exact order as well. Good luck finding a mfz though.

Nice pic, up close and personal. best place to be
Quote by pak1351

I've find several on eBay this past few days. Thanks.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by pak1351

Last time I saw one, it went for 75 bucks.

I was broke at the time
whoa, i figured dan using it would jack up the prices they go for. Oh, they reissued them as well. Analogman peppermint fuzz is supposed to be very similar as well

As a side note, any experience with an ampeg scrambler?
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 14, 2009,

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

either of those will do, I personally like the sovtek better. he changes what fuzz he uses quite often
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
i ****ing love dan's tone.

whenever i get the time to buy guitar stuff again, i'm getting a russian muff and modding it. right now i'm planning to add a starve mod for sputtering fuzz when i need it and remove some diods for more bass response.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ