Page 1 of 2
Has it ever crossed anyone elses mind that anyone could be very successful in politics if they were just honest about everything? Surely such a politician would be very popular with the voters and as long as they did their job relatively well they would be unstoppable?

Thoughts Pit?
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
That's completely illogical. Politics are all about deception and greed.

And I'm not being sarcastic.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
No.
In fact many systems are set up against people who are both intelligent and honest. As statistics show people who are more intelligent are generally less religious, and stats have also told us that most people won't elect an atheist.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
No chance. Every decision in politics is a bad one, no matter how many people are made happy by a certain choice, twice as many are angry because of it. Hence where the lying comes in. If a politician told the whole truth every time, yes, it'd be nice to hear, but nobody would support him after a month.
That's where your wrong.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
They start out as honest but the drugs, hookers, and other scandal-ganda corrupts their minds. Think of it as a straight "A" student that is a good kid and became friends with a total druggie that always sleeps with all the girls. Somethings gonna give
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I am convinced that there are no honest politicians in the US government. No politician does anything that doesn't benefit themselves (or their wallet) in some way.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by food1010
That's completely illogical. Politics are all about deception and greed.

And I'm not being sarcastic.

I know but surely a politician who didn't treat it as such would be very popular. Maybe not with other politicians but if the voters love them then there isn't really much they could do.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Politics, much like wars, are based on the easiest means of getting a large number of people to do what you want them to do. This way is usually deception as it provides a convenient way for both parties to get what they want; a leading group and a following group.

Besides - people don't want honesty. They want excitement and something that looks and/or sounds good as opposed to what's necessary.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
They seem honest until a story comes out about them dressing up as a nazi and being fucked in the arse by a hookers stilletos.
*parp*
Last edited by Bleurgh at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by IDread
I know but surely a politician who didn't treat it as such would be very popular. Maybe not with other politicians but if the voters love them then there isn't really much they could do.
If people had minds of their own, yes this would work.
-Chick Corea
Quote by IDread

The major decisions in government are made by politicians voting, not the public. There probably are one or two honest politicians, they just won't do any good by themselves.
Why would anyone vote for someone who's going to tell the truth?

The people want to hear ridiculous promises as much as the politicians want to tell them.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Wow everybody is so cynical.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No.
In fact many systems are set up against people who are both intelligent and honest. As statistics show people who are more intelligent are generally less religious, and stats have also told us that most people won't elect an atheist.

Seriously though..

WHY THE F*** DOES RELIGION PLAY A ROLE IN POLITICS???

Im Christian but I wouldnt hesitate to vote for someone just because their beliefs are different from mine.

Quote by Zigler9
That's where you're wrong.

Fixed
/Grammar-Nazi
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

I could kick you in the stomach
And catch you unawares
I could swear to God you accidentally
Fell that flight of stairs
Quote by KeepOnRotting
The major decisions in government are made by politicians voting, not the public. There probably are one or two honest politicians, they just won't do any good by themselves.

You're right there.

Quote by stratdud39
no, they're realistic

Hate to say it but you are also right.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Politicians rely on the claims that they make to win votes. If they promise to make all the claims and say that they can't, then they don't get votes.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

you would have to really really really handsome.

like, more handsome than this guy:

you can't get anymore handsome than him.
Sent from my iPad.
get your head out of your ass and realize that your thread title is a complete oxy-moron, as i'm sure my fellow UGers have mentioned already a hundred times
Quote by KeepOnRotting

This is, in all probability, the most factually accurate post in this thread.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
this makes sense and would work but all of politics are crooked so it will never happen.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by djmay71
get your head out of your ass and realize that your thread title is a complete oxy-moron, as i'm sure my fellow UGers have mentioned already a hundred times

I know its an oxymoron. That was intended.

Did you know that the word politician comes from Greek and roughly translated it means "multiple faces"?
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by IDread

Did you know that the word politician come from Greek and roughly translated it means "multiple faces"?

Did you know that Zachary in Greek means "Sugar"?

Quote by MinterMan22
Did you know that Zachary in Greek means "Sugar"?

Did you know that your avatar looks like Frank Zappa going to town on a vag?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by IDread

Did you know that the word politician come from Greek and roughly translated it means "multiple faces"?

*parp*
Quote by strat0blaster
Did you know that your avatar looks like Frank Zappa going to town on a vag?
I noticed that too
-Chick Corea
I think most politicians are honest people, but as they get higher in the world of politics they have to tell more and more lies to compete with the lies that other politicians are telling. I don't think any politician, as an individual, has a choice in the matter. Either Lie, or not get votes. If every politician was honest, there would me no need for any of them to lie if they wanted votes. But sadly, that is unrealistic.

tl;dr politicians are honest, but they are forced to lie because it is the only way to stay in office.
Let me ask you, are you always honest with your parents?
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Highway60Bob

Yes. I haven't lied to my mother since I was five.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Highway60Bob

Yes.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by In The Mist
I think most politicians are honest people, but as they get higher in the world of politics they have to tell more and more lies to compete with the lies that other politicians are telling. I don't think any politician, as an individual, has a choice in the matter. Either Lie, or not get votes. If every politician was honest, there would me no need for any of them to lie if they wanted votes. But sadly, that is unrealistic.

tl;dr politicians are honest, but they are forced to lie because it is the only way to stay in office.
Yeah I agree.
-Chick Corea
Quote by MinterMan22
Seriously though..

WHY THE F*** DOES RELIGION PLAY A ROLE IN POLITICS???

Im Christian but I wouldnt hesitate to vote for someone just because their beliefs are different from mine.

Purty darn sure atheists are the most distrusted group in America, and there's no way anyone can down play the role religious groups have on politics.

Psst, check out his location.
Not everyone's true beliefs are what the majority agree with. That is why they lie.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Page 1 of 2