well ive been playing guitar for about 2 years but with the same little setup....im ready to upgrade my amp and maybe some pedals but i need to know the best amp to get for the price. i play hard rock/metal and price range no higher than 300 or 400 dollars. help? btw i want something LOUD
Do you need it loud because you will be gigging?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Used tube combo. As far as what's 'right,' that's highly dependant on what you like tone wise. Gotta play a bunch and decide what you like. I'd say save up a couple hundred more, though.

And practically (not to say you don't want one bigger/louder), you're not going to need one with more than 60w unless you're playing MASSIVE gigs with no front of the house mixer.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
you should save up alot more for a decent tube amp. and for the love of god dont get a line 6 spider!
Quote by songmaster
you should save up alot more for a decent tube amp. and for the love of god dont get a line 6 spider!

Yes.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by shottieholikk
what about a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp?? ($350)

It's a great amp, but it will not be good for metal. The most it can do is hard rock.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
It's a great amp, but it will not be good for metal. The most it can do is hard rock.

also wat about effects pedals? what would be the best to get for hard rock?
I'm tellin you man, save up another $200 if you can and go for something then. I found a Peavey XXX 2x12 for $500. You just have to be patient and know how/where to look.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
A Peavey Valveking would be a nice choice. Its a 50w all-tube amp, which is plenty loud. And its quite versatile too, with some pedals it could probably do whatever you wanted. It might be a little more than $400, but its the loudest thing you can get in the price range im pretty sure.

EDIT: For hard rock, with the VK, a Tubescreamer or other overdrive would work. Even a boost pedal would be okay, it seems to have enough gain with the right guitar.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by qotsa1998
A Peavey Valveking would be a nice choice. Its a 50w all-tube amp, which is plenty loud. And its quite versatile too, with some pedals it could probably do whatever you wanted. It might be a little more than $400, but its the loudest thing you can get in the price range im pretty sure.

is it really worth it tho?just making sure cuz i dont know about you, but $400 isn't cheap. plus the pedals.
I've heard the Valveking is pretty decent. Heard really good things about B52 amps as well for price and quality.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Peavey Vypyr, sounds pretty good, had tons of effects built in (not as good quality as pedals) and can get pretty loud aswell
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think you're the only person on the planet who is worried about how mainstream muffins are.
Quote by strat0blaster
I've heard the Valveking is pretty decent. Heard really good things about B52 amps as well for price and quality.

do you think it would help if i posted a thread saying 'buying used guitar gear' or something
No, I think you got the answers here, man.

1. Go try amps and see what you like.
2. Try the suggested amps first.
3. Decide.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Valvekings are $420. If you already have some pedals, then use those and save your money for some really good ones. If its only practice, the best sounding effects wont help you get your band's songs down.