hello all I know your going to be super helpful and I already appreciate it so thank you.

I don't want to say my Chord knowledge is limited but, it is not really good.... (nice grammar) here is the chords I do know.

I know "All" the open chords
I know all the major's with the CAGED method
I use the same method to know 2 3 forms of minor barre chords
I know that a power chord is just a major 5th ( I hope yikes not confident know)
I know 1 form of the 7ths.
o
x
o
o
o
x
(form like that make shift tab haha)

I think I know 1 form of a 13th that is about it

I really only know the notes on E and A strings but I do know the octave tricks...

know that I look at this list I kinda think it is allot maybe the application is the problem. like I kinda freeze up on my guitar when some one asks play the c7 all though I do know that the C is on the 8th fret when typing and of course in standard tuning what do you guys think?
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but if you want to broaden chord knowledge, shouldn't you learn as many chords as you can, then learn to practically apply them?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Learn how to construct the chords and other extensions, suspensions, ect. Learn how to harmonize the major scale, learn to create voicings and about inversions as well.
A power chord is a root and perfect fifth (theres no such thing as a major fifth or fourth, only perfect, diminished(down half-step), and augmented(up half-step)). And it's not really a chord, because it is not "three or more different pitches played in unison".

I say learn the basic barre shapes of major, minor, dominant, diminished triads and their seventh versions. Then learn chord construction, and learn what notes will make your chord a certain chord (for C7 take your Cmaj barre shape and replace a doubled note (such as the root or fifth) with the minor seventh.)

Make sure you know how to read the chord names and how they're spelt (C7= 1 3 5 b7, Cdim= 1 b3 b5 bb7)

vThis guy knows whats up.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Last edited by Ribcage at Aug 14, 2009,
wouldnt it be pointless to memorize every chord? if you knew how to form them you wouldnt need to sit there and memorize them, am i right? i really dunno
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
wouldnt it be pointless to memorize every chord? if you knew how to form them you wouldnt need to sit there and memorize them, am i right? i really dunno

Well, if you were sight reading it would be easier to see the chord name and already know a chord voicing, but learning to construct chords is also very important to know.
Learning how to construct chords is key. Then you can look at chords you know/learn and change a note or two and create new chords. It's easier to learn this way than to learn a bunch of random chord patterns. Just my opinion.