Page 1 of 2
Why do people get 414 cabs instead of 212 or 112 when its SO much easier to carry around.
Is it because 412 has more headroom? or louder? not sure..

Also, where do you mic a head & cab at a gig ..like if its a 412
27mMoV31II7.a2
Depending on materials, speaker amount, speaker wattage, brand of speaker, size/shape of cab, type of speaker....

Anyway - short answer is that it all changes the tone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Bass response, headroom and more if they actually know why they want it.

If they don't actually know the benefits, they just think it looks cool.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Well, MOST people want to look cool, and it's understandable. Every guitar player on the planet wants a halfstack. Also, it pushes more air on stage, more bass, and you cant exactly run a 100w head on a 112. Well, they make 100w speakers, but you know what I mean.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
My head is 50 w
So...maybe a 112?
I dont gig often YET right now mostly just practising and jamming with band, so i do have to move it around on a weekly basis
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
My head is 50 w
So...maybe a 112?
I dont gig often YET right now mostly just practising and jamming with band, so i do have to move it around on a weekly basis

If you do get a 112...Mesa Thiele
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

is the speaker good for blues and classic rock?
I was gonna get an avatar with celetion v30 but avatar only ships to the states
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27

I may not have read correctly, but you're asking for a speaker for a 112 cabinet, but a fifty watt head?

a celestion vintage thirty speaker will blow if you have a fifty watt head only going to one of them, you'd need at least a two by twelve, that way it would be rated about 50 watts,
Quote by Antimage27

Get the one with the EVM-12L; you should love it

Quote by eberg2
I may not have read correctly, but you're asking for a speaker for a 112 cabinet, but a fifty watt head?

a celestion vintage thirty speaker will blow if you have a fifty watt head only going to one of them, you'd need at least a two by twelve, that way it would be rated about 50 watts,

V30s handle 60W usually. Some are 70W.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

oh but my combo had 1 V30 and its 50 watts as well
works fine...My head is Marshall Vintage Modern

anywyas i think ill get something similar to this
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ExpressCABS/Express1x12-19LG.htm

its super light and has V30 ...i think its the perfect one
but ive heard that mesa cabs are overpriced
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27
oh but my combo had 1 V30 and its 50 watts as well
works fine...My head is Marshall Vintage Modern

anywyas i think ill get something similar to this
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ExpressCABS/Express1x12-19LG.htm

its super light and has V30 ...i think its the perfect one
but ive heard that mesa cabs are overpriced

Just go used, if price is an issue. If you're close enough to the US, take a drive across the border and buy cheap Craigslist stuff

But ask around for opinions; Express 1x12 loaded with V30 VS Thiele 1x12 loaded with EVM-12L They're both around the same price used...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Last edited by no.mop at Aug 14, 2009,
a halfstack is designed to keep your amp head up higher so that you don't have to bend down to tweak, especially during a show.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
to answer your second question, when you mic up a 412, you mic ONE SPEAKER.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I'll sell you my EVM-12 (pre-zakk wylde) for $175, and I have a lot of Canadians coming to my house (long story) quite often, so I could probably make shipping a breeze. PM me if you're interested! You'll have to get your own cab for it, but that's easy/cheap enough!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If your in canada, on long & macquade's website, they sell a 212 traynor cab with celestions for 300.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Antimage27
Why do people get 414 cabs instead of 212 or 112 when its SO much easier to carry around.

Presence.

More speakers make your tone sound more open and less boxy. So if you're the only guitarist in the band, it doesn't sound like you're boxed in by the bass and drums.

More speakers = more air moved around.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I admit, I got a 1960A knowing nothing about cabs. I just thought I needed one to match my head. It never occurred to me to try running a Marshall through a Mesa cab, or any other brand.

Now, I've learned a lot the hard way. My tone sucked until I put V30 clones into the cab (stock G12T75s... ugh). If I had to buy gear all over again, I'd get an Orange or a Mesa 2x12.
Whenever i get a real tube amp, i plan to get a nice 2X12.
Smaller and easier to carry.
Plus, i think they look better.

Tonally (bass-wise), i don't think there'll be an issue.
I plan to get a Sunn.
Quote by Antimage27
My head is 50 w
So...maybe a 112?

212 with Greenbacks for classic rock.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'd always say 212 or 412, because having more than one speaker, adds so much more "umph" to the sound
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
www.thomann.de

harley benton 212 vintage cab

two celestion v30's in a cab for less than the price of the speakers on their own.

There are a few vids on youtube too.

It's legit. Thomann's the biggest guitar store/supplier in Europe.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
I gig with a 1x12 combo, but I'm adding a 1x12 extension to that. I think that 2x12 is perfect fot the majority of guitarists.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by metalcorefan
http://www.steamcomusic.com/ you can order an avatar cab from them

They don't carry Avatar anymore - they ship direct to Canada now.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by metalcorefan
http://www.steamcomusic.com/ you can order an avatar cab from them

No you cannot.

They are making their own cabs, but don't count on them having them in stock anytime soon.

Saxon Cabs are where its at in Canada, and you won't eat it on shipping like you will shipping a cab from the states.

www.saxon-cabs.ca

They destroy Avatars and are on par with a Mesa etc at the same price as a new Marshall.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
No you cannot.

They are making their own cabs, but don't count on them having them in stock anytime soon.

Saxon Cabs are where its at in Canada, and you won't eat it on shipping like you will shipping a cab from the states.

www.saxon-cabs.ca

They destroy Avatars and are on par with a Mesa etc at the same price as a new Marshall.

ok thnx ill check them out
anyone else recommend Saxon ?
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Brendan.Clace
No you cannot.

www.saxon-cabs.ca

Thats weird because its still on their website
Bass response
Wattage requirements
Casters for easy portablity
Sits up higher
Gets the cab directly off the ground
Closed back or open back options
Headroom

and a 120 watt head sitting on top of 112 cab would look retarded..
Quote by metalcorefan
Thats weird because its still on their website

They haven't bothered updating.

Go to Avatarspeakers.com and look under FAQ. They ship directly to Canada now and no longer deal with Steamco.

It's been that way since April 2009.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Bass response
Wattage requirements
Casters for easy portablity
Sits up higher
Gets the cab directly off the ground
Closed back or open back options
Headroom

and a 120 watt head sitting on top of 112 cab would look retarded..

My 212 has casters, though it's an oversize and is pretty much 5/6 the size of my Peavey 4x12.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Go to Avatarspeakers.com and look under FAQ. They ship directly to Canada now and no longer deal with Steamco.

It's been that way since April 2009..

Ahh ok I see
Quote by bubb_tubbs

It's been that way since April 2009.

My 212 has casters, though it's an oversize and is pretty much 5/6 the size of my Peavey 4x12.

You should probably check their website.

Quote by AvatarSpeakers.com

3. Are your products available in other countries? YES

Canada: We were planning on shipping to Canada but got too much red tape from Canadian Govt/ Fedex Canada so we are not shipping there presently. We'd suggest finding a freight forward in the US that can forward shipments to you in Canada. We can also ship to someone in the US that you know who can receive items for you.

I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Antimage27
Is it because 412 has more headroom? or louder? not sure..

Because those people are not weak pussies.

Nah I'm kidding. I think.

I think the 412 cab is easier to come across than a 212 in most instances. The 212 almost seems like a specialty item in some places. Some music stores just don't carry anything in a 212 flavor. Plus, a 412 looks much more badass on stage. And I don't like bending down to adjust the controls on my amp head, personally.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 17, 2009,
4x12 have sex appeal for sure. i was mistaken when i thought it would just straight improve my tone though. did make me a bit louder. i promptly bought an orange ppc212 cuz i wanted something smaller, i was also mistaken when i thought the orange ppc212 was much smaller than a 4x12. wouldn't trade it for the world though.

there is a few occassions where a 4x12 will just fit the bill, they do have a place. for example, if you want a cabinet with celestion alnico blues, but your head is say... 50 watts. a blue is only rated for 15, now you could probably just get away with a 2x12 and just 'round' the speaker and hope it doesn't blow(it probably wouldn't, thats a different debate though). well that is all fine and good if you don't mind a speaker pushed into distortion, what if you're playing metal and that muddies up the mix? well a 4x12 of alnico blues would be rated for 60 watts, and this will probably sound much more stable. now, i know a metal guitarist probably wouldn't play with alnico blues, but it is an invented example to give you an idea.

in the very real world of the 60's, many amplifier makers were confronted with pretty much that problem though. and many of them made 4x12's, 2x15's or 6x12's to deal with the high-powered amps and the low-tolerance speakers. 100+ watt marshalls were known to blow 4x12's loaded with g12M-20's. it is one reason the G12H-30 became popular to mix in 4x12's, it kept cabs from blowing

maybe you just want 4 different speakers in your amp.

maybe it makes you look good, my old 4x12 made me look like a sexual tyrannosaurus
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 17, 2009,
My 412 cab is rated for 300 watts. I've yet to encounter a cost-effective 212 with enough power handling to keep from getting raped by my 120W 6505.

Now, If I had an Orange Tiny or Duel Terror (Which i'm very interested in.) I'd most definitely opt for the 212 arrangement, as Id probably be use the TT or DT for blues. The last blues gig I played had me backed up against the wall with my halfstack, and everyone else was using Fender Twins and little 1-speaker Mesas. Needless to say, I was a little over dressed for the occasion. Even so, with the right EQ tweaks, you'd be very surprised how good a blues tone you can squeeze out of the Dealer of Death Metal that is the 6505.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
My 412 cab is rated for 300 watts. I've yet to encounter a cost-effective 212 with enough power handling to keep from getting raped by my 120W 6505.

Now, If I had an Orange Tiny or Duel Terror (Which i'm very interested in.) I'd most definitely opt for the 212 arrangement, as Id probably be use the TT or DT for blues. The last blues gig I played had me backed up against the wall with my halfstack, and everyone else was using Fender Twins and little 1-speaker Mesas. Needless to say, I was a little over dressed for the occasion. Even so, with the right EQ tweaks, you'd be very surprised how good a blues tone you can squeeze out of the Dealer of Death Metal that is the 6505.

i too had that problem, i owned a tiny terror, thd bivalve, etc. low wattage amps. i got myself an orange ppc212 thinking "120 watt rating is more than i'll ever need". enter the sunn 1200S and the music man 130hd. both were in immaculate condition and i couldn't pass them up. but then i started thinking "is my cab really gonna handle those heads?". i don't prefer on too much speaker breakup on those amps for what i use them for anyway, and i wanted to make sure i had enough 'padding' so they wouldn't blow.

so long story longer i ended up researching and finding nothing i was happy with. then i ran across these weber speakers, available in up to 100 watt versions. a 200 watt rated cab is in my taste. go ahead and model them after 50's vox and 60's marshall speakers with magnet options. cheaper than real celestions too, made in america, by hand, modeled after reverse engineered vintage speakers using top quality/true to original design components.

2 ceramic silver bells rated at 100 wats @ 8 or 16 ohm: ~220

i love mine, got 1 blue dog alnico(vox style) and 1 silver bell ceramic(marshall).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

The standard that I've seen and used is to mic the upper left portion of any of the speakers (whichever keeps the mic and stand out of the way as much as possible). Be sure the mic is pointing directly to the cone and not the surround (the outer ring around the cone) and not the cap (the sphere looking part in the center of the speaker).

And you don't mic a head
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by JoePerry4life
If your in canada, on long & macquade's website, they sell a 212 traynor cab with celestions for 300.

I strongly support this decision. You can get a sexy looking, V30 loaded Traynor cab for $340CAD. Why in the world not?
http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=3153

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by eberg2

you are an idiot
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I have a important question for you guys...
Ive heard a lot of people say "omg mesa makes the best cabs"
my question is what makes a cab GOOD...the wood they use? the shape or design? their speakers?

If the difference isnt that big Why would I ever spend that much money when i can spend half without the "mesa" or any other big brand names on it
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 17, 2009,
The most important things for the sound are the dimensions of the cab (along with open vs closed back) and the speakers. The rest is construction quality/wood and cosmetics which are secondary concerns. Mesa cabs are great, but they are too expensive for what they are. Check out that Traynor cab I posted a little while ago.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Page 1 of 2