yeah i'm on here and well yeah sad to say im 17 and ive been playing for five years. im not amazing like everyone on here but what i notice is that im missing gaps in my guitar technique. i notice i need theory but i got help for that but what i need is advice on furthering my skills. i have a lot of the basics down such as hammer ons and pulls offs and bends i can do a three string sweep pretty good and a 5 string sweep decently (room for much improvement) i can solo with simple stuff. the biggest thing i kno is the intro to cliffs of dover (compared to song im very slow.) im not fast and but im accurate. i need speed. i find tho that i excell at rhythm. like chords and back round stuff, i can play six and laid to rest and some COB stuff. solos i struggle with (badly) i can alternate pick well. i can do pinch harmonics. and i think thats it. so yeah any ideas? i need improvement. all music genres is welcome. mainly metal tho (my favorite) thanks...
Work out exactly what you want to learn and work it into a practice schedule, maybe. Also try and find if you have any bad habits that you can fix.
Learn to play with a metronome. Everyone says it but it's true. It helped me build up speed and it helps anyone who wants to play fast or learn a song properly.
Try learning new genres, or sub genres of your favorite genre. Try improv and writing your own stuff.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Don't go too big. Play stuff that is challenging, but possible. For example, don't go trying to play the solo to Soothsayer (26 nps). If you try to play something that's out of your range, you're just gonna get disappointed. And play songs that use techniques that you need work on, like KSE has a lot of melodic parts, string skipping, etc, and LOG has more chugging riffs.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
what i did was learn songs that have the techniques you want to improve and watch how other people do it and then you try it and improve it. with speed you just start off slow until you cando it perfectly then increase speed until you can play as fast as you need, ts time consuming but it helps
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
thanks. next i got speed thanks to u guys but what i would like to know is how to shred. is there like a scale or something for that? as for bands what bands can you recommend that would have a metalcore feeling? like at the gates and crazy stuff like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6YmOvmSVo
im really into this kinda stuff but no idea where to start. websites welcome
It's just practice, there's no magic exercises.

Concentrate on the basics and get damned good at them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
take some lessons that way the teacher will know exactaly what your doing wrong or right and he or she will figure out what you should learn next

or u could get some books to teach yourself. they usually have a lot of helpful exercizes(sp?) in them
Quote by angel6746
thanks. next i got speed thanks to u guys but what i would like to know is how to shred. is there like a scale or something for that? as for bands what bands can you recommend that would have a metalcore feeling? like at the gates and crazy stuff like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6YmOvmSVo
im really into this kinda stuff but no idea where to start. websites welcome

The first bands I think of like that are All That Remains and As I Lay Dying. (Perhaps Unearth as well)

As for the scales, none of them will really teach you to shred. Playing chromatic exercises could help I suppose. Shredding is really just scales (most of the time) played fairly quickly. Just pick a few scales and then practice playing them forwards and backwards. Increase your speed each time you can play it cleanly. It will be very beneficial if you rearrange the scales as well into new patterns. You don't necessarily have to play the notes in sequence either as long as they are all notes in the scale.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
ok thanks u guys. can anyone give me a song to start with and a reason why? cuz there is like 50000 different metalcore songs