Im buying some new gear. The stuff in my sig has been gone for a few months now and Im finding myself missing playing. So, I wanna get back into it but just for my own personal benefit. Im not going to be playing gigs or anything and will probably just noodle around in my room with it all. So I've been looking and doing some homework on it and was wondering if yall thought the following would be a good set up for my needs.

Guitar: Agile AL-2000
Amp: Used Line 6 Flextone II (Or if I cant find that) Roland Cube 20X

I know that tubes are normally the way to go and all but I dont really feel justified spending a shit load of money on gear for my bedroom. So do yall think this is solid equipment?
Agiles have the best bang for your buck in the budget range, IMO. But definitely take the Roland over the Line 6. But I can't really give a good recommendation without knowing what you play.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Pretty much everything. I play blues/jazz/funk/prog/metal/classic rock/the whole nine yards. Thats why Im looking at the modellers cause I dont want alot of pedals and everything.
Quote by music_mike
What about Vypyr 15's?

Could you stretch for the Vypyr 30? I think that is the one with the USB connection so you can update the amp's firmware (if the 30 doesn't have a USB connection, then its definitely the one above that).

Since its a digital modeller, being able to update the firmware is highly critical in the event there is some weird **** under the hood that's just lurking and waiting to screw the firmware over.

A lot of people on UG love it, but some of the more amp-savvy UGers didn't seem AS impressed with the Vypyr as a lot of the newbs seem to be, hence I wouldn't give it a "definitely-buy" vote.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well I've owned some pretty decent tube amps in my time of playing, its just that now Im getting back into it and dont want a huge rig to store in my room. So just something small that can handle mainly blues and classic rock or some older heavy rock would be perfect with me. And something that preferably has features like delay and reverb cause thats really all I use.
fender champ xd?
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by music_mike
Well I've owned some pretty decent tube amps in my time of playing, its just that now Im getting back into it and dont want a huge rig to store in my room. So just something small that can handle mainly blues and classic rock or some older heavy rock would be perfect with me. And something that preferably has features like delay and reverb cause thats really all I use.

I understand your hesitance in using high wattage amps for bedroom practice, but for practical rather than tonal reasons, I'd recommend getting the Vypyr which has a USB connection so you can update the firmware.

Maybe you could also consider the Roland Cube 20 or 30.

Alternatively what about a Pod and a low wattage FRFR amp?

Have you considered something like a TonePort or the Guitar Rig Kontroller edition? Running your rig through your computer does have a number of benefits, such a patch storing and switching options.

Also while it does not have built in effects, the Orange AD5 is an awesome low wattage tube amp for the bloos and the rwak. Orange AD5 for $489.

The Tiny Terror combo also needs to be mentioned as an amp you can consider.

Vox is also another one you can look at, especially the Vox AC4-TV. It has a built in attenuator to switch between 4 watts, 1 watt and 1/2 watt for the low level pushed sound.

The Vox Valvetronix series is also another series of modellers that come in 15 watts and 30 watts amps. Pretty good stuff as I generally see good reviews of these amps. I think they have a single 12AX7 for the preamp section, but I'm not certain if it has a tube power section.

Alternatively, while I doubt you're keen on considering a mini stack, but theVox Night Train looks cool. 7 watts in triode mode and 15 watts in pentode mode. Yeah I am aware that as it is 7 watts has more than sufficient sonic power to blow your balls off at pushed levels, but a mini stack ALWAYS looks cutely cool!

EDIT: Haha I realised that as I start recommending more amps, tubes amps start crowding out solidstate amps!.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 15, 2009,
Well the Vypyr with the USB interface is the 75 watt model, and with that wattage and a price of $300, Im gonna say that thats out of the question. Its not that I cant afford $300, I just didnt really want to have to spend it on something that'll never see more then my bedroom walls.

Thats kinda my same beef with a pod and a power amp. I had, at one point, looked into a Tech 21 Power Engine and a floor modeler but still at 60 watts and a price tag of well over $500, I just cant justify it.

My biggest problem with buying now is that there are several other things that I am going to have to do here in the next month and buying a high priced amp would kill me at this particular moment. I could in 6 months or so, but even then I still dont need anything huge. And with college going on for the next 10 months Im not going to be playing too terribly often. I mean the last time I bought an amp I wasnt worried about any of this and I just impulse bought, but now I have gotten a bit wiser and dont see any reason for that.

The amps I have been looking at so far have been the Cube 15, which I like and for $100 its a reasonable price for what I'll be doing but its features are a bit limited. Then there is the Vypyr 15, although the problems with firmware and digital sound are turning me off slightly to it. The Cube 20 is $189 and has some nice features, but that may it doesnt seem to pull a nice bluesy tone that I really would want. Then there is always my fall back plan of buying an Epi Valve Junior combo and modding it. I have done that before and they can actually sound really nice. Plus its tube which is a plus. And its only $160. I could get by with that for now and then go back and buy a reverb and delay after the first of the year. Im just really kind of stuck.
Quote by music_mike
Then there is always my fall back plan of buying an Epi Valve Junior combo and modding it. I have done that before and they can actually sound really nice. Plus its tube which is a plus. And its only $160. I could get by with that for now and then go back and buy a reverb and delay after the first of the year.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Valve Jr.

Have you looked on Fleabay and CL?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well around me eBay and CL dont really have much and people on there are a bit stupid about their prices. And pawn shops are hard pressed to stock anything good. At least at GC I could talk them down a bit if I really wanted to.I mean I figure I cant probably pick up a VJ for about $150. Then another $15 bucks for some electrical parts and I could have a really nice little bedroom amp... Thats really got my interest going pretty good right now...
Quote by music_mike
Well around me eBay and CL dont really have much and people on there are a bit stupid about their prices. And pawn shops are hard pressed to stock anything good. At least at GC I could talk them down a bit if I really wanted to.I mean I figure I cant probably pick up a VJ for about $150. Then another $15 bucks for some electrical parts and I could have a really nice little bedroom amp... Thats really got my interest going pretty good right now...

Honestly, based on your requirements, I suggest you go used first.

Get something as a stopgap measure. Sort out your other stoof first, then go get what you want. Reselling a used product, you should not experience much (if any) depreciation.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ok, so I found a used VJ on CL for $75 and its the combo version. I think thats going to be the route I go. It seems more logical to do that because at least I know I'll be able to get a good tone out of it, even if its just for my own enjoyment.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Agiles have the best bang for your buck in the budget range, IMO. But definitely take the Roland over the Line 6. But I can't really give a good recommendation without knowing what you play.

your thinking of the spider bub
the flextone would be a very nice amp especialyl for just fiddling round in your room

id definately recommend it
The Flextones beat the **** out of the Cubes, Vypyrs, and Vox Valvetronixes.

Bad advice is bad. TS, get the Flextone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--