Poll: Epiphone Prophecy or PRS SE?
Poll Options
View poll results: Epiphone Prophecy or PRS SE?
PRE SE Custom 24
66 77%
Epiphone Prophecy
13 15%
Other (Please specify in post)
7 8%
Voters: 86.
Page 1 of 2
Some of you may remember a while back my thread about whether or not it would be worth getting an Epiphone Prophecy SG, however I've now also been considering getting a PRS SE, being somewhat poor and given PRS' reputation as the maker of some of the finest electric guitars on the market... the idea of owning a PRS, even a Made In Korea model, appeals to me greatly. I know what a lot of you will be saying "Play both and decide which one you like more", but I'd like to here some far wiser and far more experienced opinions than my own regarding what (for me) is a very important and very special purchase.

I'm DEFINITELY open to suggestions, but I'm most heartset on one of those two right now... Perhaps someone has an experience owning a Korean PRS SE, perhaps someone has experience owning an Epi Prophecy... Maybe someone has played both?

I want...
Slim, playable, "shred"-style neck
Low action
24 frets, I suppose jumbo ones would be nice, but whatever
Good intonation and tuning retention (I play in several tunings, going down to Drop B or Drop Bb, C# or C standard on occasion...)
Good sustain
Under $1000 (of course)
Good sounding clean, or wickedly distorted (although in all likelihood it's the wickedly distorted tone that will matter more... I have plenty of distortion from my pedals, however...)

I really don't care about...
Tremolo bar. If I have it, great, if I don't, who cares?
Pick-ups. I'll probably just change them anyway, unless I get an Epi Prophecy SG EX which already has a good set of EMGs, but pickups aren't a concern for me at all seeing as they're the most easily changed aspect of a guitar's tone.
Weight. The lighter the better, obviously, but I'm not a small guy and have no problem with heavier axes.

Thanks in advance, and sorry to all of you who remember my thread from before... I hate to bore you with my bull****, I'd just like a few solid opinions. I am in a band that plays mostly heavy music... My favourite electric acts are Opeth, Bathory, Bolt Thrower, Led Zeppelin, Death, Black Sabbath, Electric Wizard, Uriah Heep, Kyuss, Thin Lizzy, Atomic Rooster, King Crimson, Sodom, Kreator, Jex Thoth, Megadeth, Motorhead, Malmsteen, Judas Priest, I'm sure you get the idea by now.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
PRS > Epiphone

simple as that

PRS even the Se series are nothing to fret about (pun intended)
they are awesome guitars, i have never played a PRS that i didn't like

but i've played many a crapiphones that feel like utter cow **** in my hands

but thats just me
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I've never been at all impressed with PRS's SE range. I'm surprised they have the balls to make them, given that other brands make better quality full carved tops for the same price.

That said, Epiphone produces a lot of foul guitars too, so if you go with them make sure you get to a store and play a lot of them to make sure you're getting a good one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by WillB13
How about this?

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1489&CategoryID=
String through.
Neck-through.
Looks like secks.
Great set of SD pick-ups.

Screw the guitar, I want that amp!

Anyway, I say PRS SE Custom 24
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The Schecter is better for your style. Also Check out the Hellraiser and Blackjack series. They're better than any guitar in the SE series.
PRS, if I'd have the money for it I'd get that bove anything else.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
i can tell you from first hand experience that prs' do shred very well. schecters have a neck shape similar to the wide fat prs neck so i wouldnt reccomend it nor any other prs se for shred unless you are into fat necks.

also, theres no reason why you shouldnt look into ibanez, jackson and ltd as well (even though i would still take the prs). you should check out all the possible options before making a decision.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Aug 15, 2009,
Wow, I hate to be influenced by looks, but that Schecter is gorgeous! The Jackson also looks great... (edit: as an axe, not cosmetically) I think I may be voting for "other", although the overwhelming support the PRS has in the poll over the Epiphone is amazing, Prophecy or otherwise. Thanks guys, I'll definitely have to check those two out.

I have read reviews of Ibanez' and LTD and so on, but often people will state that they prefer their PRS SEs to previously owned RGs and whatnot... I guess I really have to pay more attention to Schecter and Jackson.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Last edited by divortium at Aug 15, 2009,
What do you guys think of the Schecter Devil? It's not as pretty as the C-1, but I think it might be a little bit better spec'd for me...
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Last edited by divortium at Aug 16, 2009,
When you buy a Schecter or Ibanez as a metal guitar, that's all you're getting, a metal guitar. When you guy a PRS as a metal guitar, you're also getting a blues guitar, a jazz guitar, a rockabilly guitar, a funk guitar, a...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by divortium
although the overwhelming support the PRS has in the poll over the Epiphone is amazing
There are two factors in this:

1) The majority of this forum will blindly hate any of the following, regardless of whether or not they have any experience with the item in question: Epiphone, Line 6, basswood, China, pop, country, punk, low-output, solid state, anything that costs more than is currently in their bank accounts, anything their parents won't buy them, thick, big, wide, high action, tasteful, anything made between 1970 and 1993, signature, Avril Lavigne.

2) In stark contrast to the above, many people on this forum will blindly love anything that has any connection to the following, regardless of whether or not they have any experience with the item in question: PRS, Schecter, Ibanez, Agile, Made In Mexico, DiMarzio, EMG, Joe Satriani, metal, black, death, shred, speed, fast, faster, progressive, alternative, brutal, drop-A/B/C/D, breasts.

This is by no means a fair, balanced and unbiased forum. Every poll that is put on here always swings massively for or against one thing because "I've never played it myself but my cousin's friend's girlfriend's brother's friend played one once and he said the neck was a bit big for his hands, so it must be total garbage".

The best thing to do is forget the polls: pay attention to what people are actually posting, it's easy to see if someone doesn't really know what they're talking about and it's also easy to see if any particular posters are into the same sort of thing you are: for example, if you were asking for a good Telecaster to play country music on, pay attention to what 'Countryboy450' says and don't pay attention to what "megadeth4lyfe" says.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

1) The majority of this forum will blindly hate any of the following, regardless of whether or not they have any experience with the item in question: Epiphone, Line 6, basswood, China, pop, country, punk, low-output, solid state, anything that costs more than is currently in their bank accounts, anything their parents won't buy them, thick, big, wide, high action, tasteful, anything made between 1970 and 1993, signature, Avril Lavigne.

2) In stark contrast to the above, many people on this forum will blindly love anything that has any connection to the following, regardless of whether or not they have any experience with the item in question: PRS, Schecter, Ibanez, Agile, Made In Mexico, DiMarzio, EMG, Joe Satriani, metal, black, death, shred, speed, fast, faster, progressive, alternative, brutal, drop-A/B/C/D, breasts.

This is by no means a fair, balanced and unbiased forum. Every poll that is put on here always swings massively for or against one thing because "I've never played it myself but my cousin's friend's girlfriend's brother's friend played one once and he said the neck was a bit big for his hands, so it must be total garbage".

The best thing to do is forget the polls: pay attention to what people are actually posting, it's easy to see if someone doesn't really know what they're talking about and it's also easy to see if any particular posters are into the same sort of thing you are: for example, if you were asking for a good Telecaster to play country music on, pay attention to what 'Countryboy450' says and don't pay attention to what "megadeth4lyfe" says.

I think i want to sig something here....
I'm going to disregard Mr. Fibble's sarcasm. All of the PRS guitars I have played have been great, I wish I had the cash for one. As for epi's they can be hit or miss. Not to say that epi's are "bad", it all goes back to the golden rule of play it first. But if I had to recommend one or the other I would go PRS. The SE isn't from the American plant, but the Korean built models are nothing to sneeze at and they beat the crap out of most epi's that I have played.

Quote by rooster456
When you buy a Schecter or Ibanez as a metal guitar, that's all you're getting, a metal guitar. When you guy a PRS as a metal guitar, you're also getting a blues guitar, a jazz guitar, a rockabilly guitar, a funk guitar, a...

QFT! Unlike other brands, PRS' really aren't pinned down to one genre. If I buy a Strat, I'm mostly going to be doing blues and classic rock, but the PRS can do that and seamlessly switch to drop tuned metal and sound great.
Last edited by Zmatt at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Zmatt
I'm going to disregard Mr. Fibble's sarcasm.
Who the hell says I was being sarcastic?

All of the PRS guitars I have played have been great
That's funny, because all the ones I've played have been **** except for the £2000+ models, which clearly aren't the models the OP is looking at buying. Every SE model I've played has been turd on a stick, and I wanted to like them. I've wanted a good PRS for a long time and lord knows if the SEs had turned out any good I would have bought one, but I must have tried at least six 22's and three or four 24's and they were all turd. The joke of it is that they're flattops too, while other companies make full carved top PRS copies for the same price and clearly betere build quality (Tokai, Vintage, I'm looking at you).

With PRS SE, you're paying for the PRS name and that is all you're getting. You're buying the ability to say you own a PRS guitar. You're not getting any of the things that make the full PRS guitars great. At least with Epiphone, Squier and LTD, they have the nuts to not even pretend they're Gibsons/Fenders/ESPs.
Quote by MrFlibble

Funny, everything on your "love" list, with the exception of PRS and (possibly) DiMarzio, can kiss my ass. As for the "hate" list, I'm cool with a wide neck, and I don't mind pining over guitars that I can't possibly afford. On the whole, hell of a rant for an '08er. PRS makes some pretty incredible lower-end guitars, and they all, IMO, play like a dream. The OP said he wasn't too concerned about pickups, so what it really comes down to is playability, and that's where the SE series shines. Also, claiming that the majority of the forum you've been given the privilege of posting on hates anything that's "tasteful" is a fine way to make yourself look like a pompous ass. And this:
Quote by MrFlibble
I've never been at all impressed with PRS's SE range. I'm surprised they have the balls to make them, given that other brands make better quality full carved tops for the same price.

That said, Epiphone produces a lot of foul guitars too, so if you go with them make sure you get to a store and play a lot of them to make sure you're getting a good one.

Is a real gem. All the guitars in the SE range have a carve on the lower cutaway, and the Singlecut models have a carved top. To be honest, I don't know what you're going on about carved tops for, since that doesn't effect the playability or tone of the guitar at all. It'd probably also help your case if you were to descend from your high horse for long enough to suggest a solution instead of shooting the OP's options out of the sky.
I was really disappointed with the debut of the prophecy line and haven't touched them since.

The C-1 Classic does what you want, and well. The C-1 Classic is not just a metal guitar -- but it can do metal pretty decently, and caters to more amps, imo, than the EMG-model Schecters. (After experiencing a Hellraiser for quite a while, I can say that I am now not very impressed with the EMGs...)

The PRS SE series is nice... but not nearly as nice, imo, as the Schecter. But I do wish for a tremolo.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM900 100w w/1960 cab
Monster Effects: Mastortion user!
Quote by MrFlibble

That's funny, because all the ones I've played have been **** except for the £2000+ models, which clearly aren't the models the OP is looking at buying. Every SE model I've played has been turd on a stick, and I wanted to like them. I've wanted a good PRS for a long time and lord knows if the SEs had turned out any good I would have bought one, but I must have tried at least six 22's and three or four 24's and they were all turd. The joke of it is that they're flattops too, while other companies make full carved top PRS copies for the same price and clearly betere build quality (Tokai, Vintage, I'm looking at you).

With PRS SE, you're paying for the PRS name and that is all you're getting. You're buying the ability to say you own a PRS guitar. You're not getting any of the things that make the full PRS guitars great. At least with Epiphone, Squier and LTD, they have the nuts to not even pretend they're Gibsons/Fenders/ESPs.

Way to justify your claims, why don't you drop the carved-top/flattop issue, which is, for the most part, irrelevant, and tell us why you thought the SE series were "turds on a stick" if you want to make a valid point?
Quote by MrFlibble

Well your post definitely came across that way. My bad if I misread it.

Quote by MrFlibble

That is funny. I can't speak for your experience and I wont try to, but I can speak for mine. Here I can get an SE for $600 new. Comparing that to other guitars in the price range, Basic les pauls, Standard Strats etc they are far superior. Sure they aren't as good as the higher end American made models, but there are very few other guitars in it's price range that are made in America. Not only that but the Korean makes have been improving a lot recently. Is the SE a "studio" quality guitar? No, but it's a good second guitar for someone learning and ready to upgrade or a beater for gigs. They sound good, for me play and feel good and are decent quality. And I would definitely put them against other guitars i the same price range. I haven't played everything even half of what is out there, but from what I have access too I would have to say that the SE is one of the better values.
After fairly extensive testing, I think that the PRS SE is a better option. Oddly enough, I own an Epiphone. Not bad, but the pickups suck, as does most of the hardware and the electronics. Now, The PRS Stoptail to be frank is a terrible idea. Why would anyone put a non-adjustable saddle bridge on a guitar that wasn't an acoustic? Their tremolo, however, I love. Best one (except for a Wilkinson Gotoh Vs100 on my self built guitar) I've ever used.

Flibble, calm the fuck down, man.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

On top of everything I've said, (and excuse me for being a bit anal about this,) your definition of "a long time must be different than mine because the SE 22's and 24's were just introduced recently. As for the branding issue, at least PRS doesn't force you to buy a $1500 guitar to see "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock as opposed to "Squier" or "Epiphone". Sorry I'm so adamant about this; I just can't stand to watch someone try to turn a newer guitar player off to a credible instrument using a single and irrelevent source of evidence. OP, go with your heart, and if you're gonna take somebody's advice, just make sure their claims check out. Keep rockin'.
As i mentioned in a previous post about the SE line, they simply "feel" cheap to me. I really want to like these guitars, and one of my friends has one and really likes it, but they never feel right in my hands. Honestly, its hard to put into words what was wrong, its simply personal preference. Anyways, just play both and make the best decision. Usually within seconds of picking up a guitar ill know whether ill like it or not.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Quote by rooster456

PRS. Please.

One of the most versatile guitars, in my opinion.
Quote by nakki
PRS. Please.

One of the most versatile guitars, in my opinion.

+1
i own one and the stock pickups are practically good..
neck is would to 9.5k.. bridge is 10.5k..
more modern than a vintage paf yet not very high output.. can handle many genres very well..

i don't like the ones with the trem though.. it's true that intonation can be adjusted spot on, but it's a floating trem.. maybe i'm just not a fan of it coz i don't want to constantly set it up when something terrible happens..

anyway.. PRS for me..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Ive tried a PRS SE it puts the PRS name to shame, they should really drop that line of guitars so PRS is once again an exclusive brand. OP just get an EC 1000 ASB.

Fixed
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by RoflCopter Ace
which is, for the most part, irrelevant,
This is the point at which your input became invalid because there is not a single knowledgeable guitar player in the world who will downplay the value of an extra 3/4" solid wood on top of the guitar. It greatly effects tone, sustain, and depending on the bridge you have on the guitar it can severely change the playability of the guitar too, especially at the higher frets. Whether you actually like those changes or not is up to you, but to call it 'irrelevant' shows your inexperience on the subject.

Quote by RoflCopter Ace
On top of everything I've said, (and excuse me for being a bit anal about this,) your definition of "a long time must be different than mine because the SE 22's and 24's were just introduced recently.
I've been looking for about a year, which for me in guitar-buying terms is a long while. I mean my Strat, that took me about two weeks to decide on. My main Les Paul, that took me about three months to decide I'd definitely buy one and then find a good one. I started looking at PRS guitars about a year ago and after trying a lot of PRS SEs and deciding they were crap, trying some proper PRS models and deciding they were good but not worth the £2500 price tag, and playing some copies, in the end I've gone with making a new Warmoth build, but hey-ho. But yeah, to me a year of looking and trying is a long time as far as buying guitars go.

As for the branding issue, at least PRS doesn't force you to buy a $1500 guitar to see "Fender" or "Gibson" on the headstock as opposed to "Squier" or "Epiphone".
Neither do Gibson or Fender, which actually was my point. So congratulations, you just agreed that my argument is correct.

Sorry I'm so adamant about this; I just can't stand to watch someone try to turn a newer guitar player off to a credible instrument using a single and irrelevent source of evidence.
Now I don't know where you're pulling that from. What, you think I've got some kind of blind vendetta against PRS? This isn't the Line 6 bandwagon we're talking about here. OP asked for opinions; I've played the guitars, I have an opinion on the subject, I presented it. It's not some ****ing conspiracy to sabotage PRS' sales.

OP, go with your heart, and if you're gonna take somebody's advice, just make sure their claims check out. Keep rockin'.
Which is actually exactly what I just said in another thread too.

Quote by Zmatt

That is funny. I can't speak for your experience and I wont try to, but I can speak for mine. [more words cut out to save space]
Well then fair enough, perhaps it's down to the selection in your local stores and/or the price differences between countries. If that is the case then that's fine. But as I've said, certainly for me at least, with what I have access to and our prices, I can get better from, for example, Tokai, for the same price as I'd be paying for a PRS SE 22. other guitars in the same price band as a PRSE SE 22 here are things like an Epiphone Ultra-II, some of the ESP-LTD 1000 series, the Vintage Advance range, etc etc. So certainly from my perspective, there's just no point in the PRS SEs to me; I've played better for the same cost, and I've played the same for a lower cost.

Quote by Killedelphia19
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SLSMG-Super-Lightweight-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=520316

I'd suggest this over the SLS3 because this has a satin finish, and nicer (imo) inlays
Active pickups really aren't for everyone.
I picked the Schecter because it looked like you could play anything on it. It has a JB/Jazz (or 59) set of SD pick-ups which would play almost every genre. It also has AMAZING specs. Just look at 'em.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
First, thanks for all the opinions everyone... I guess there's nothing left to do now but try an SE, try a Schecter and try a Jackson and see which one I like more... Thanks for scaring me away from the Prophecies, I'll still try one if I get the chance. And to the more opinionated posters in here (I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about), thank you very much! Opinions were just what I was asking for. I appreciate the help very much, and will be referring back to this thread for reference.

Anyone have anything else to add?
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Last edited by divortium at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
This is the point at which your input became invalid because there is not a single knowledgeable guitar player in the world who will downplay the value of an extra 3/4" solid wood on top of the guitar. It greatly effects tone, sustain, and depending on the bridge you have on the guitar it can severely change the playability of the guitar too, especially at the higher frets. Whether you actually like those changes or not is up to you, but to call it 'irrelevant' shows your inexperience on the subject.

I've been looking for about a year, which for me in guitar-buying terms is a long while. I mean my Strat, that took me about two weeks to decide on. My main Les Paul, that took me about three months to decide I'd definitely buy one and then find a good one. I started looking at PRS guitars about a year ago and after trying a lot of PRS SEs and deciding they were crap, trying some proper PRS models and deciding they were good but not worth the £2500 price tag, and playing some copies, in the end I've gone with making a new Warmoth build, but hey-ho. But yeah, to me a year of looking and trying is a long time as far as buying guitars go.

Neither do Gibson or Fender, which actually was my point. So congratulations, you just agreed that my argument is correct.

Now I don't know where you're pulling that from. What, you think I've got some kind of blind vendetta against PRS? This isn't the Line 6 bandwagon we're talking about here. OP asked for opinions; I've played the guitars, I have an opinion on the subject, I presented it. It's not some ****ing conspiracy to sabotage PRS' sales.

Which is actually exactly what I just said in another thread too.

Well then fair enough, perhaps it's down to the selection in your local stores and/or the price differences between countries. If that is the case then that's fine. But as I've said, certainly for me at least, with what I have access to and our prices, I can get better from, for example, Tokai, for the same price as I'd be paying for a PRS SE 22. other guitars in the same price band as a PRSE SE 22 here are things like an Epiphone Ultra-II, some of the ESP-LTD 1000 series, the Vintage Advance range, etc etc. So certainly from my perspective, there's just no point in the PRS SEs to me; I've played better for the same cost, and I've played the same for a lower cost.

You've sure got a lot to say, but you sill haven't explained why you think PRS's SE series is "crap". Also, the question of carved versus flat top on an electric guitar is, in most cases, purely aesthetic. I'm sorry if you took my statement about you turning the OP off to the SE series the wrong way: I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I tend to take offense when someone claims that the same model guitar that I own is a "turd" or "crap" on the pretense that it doesn't have the kind of top that they like. In fact, the guitars that you suggested (Vintage Advance, Epiphone Ultra-II, ESP 1000 Series) have maple tops with a flame or quilted maple veneer, just like the SE series. The wood used in these tops is no more or less "solid" than the wood used in the SE's tops, so all the carve does is marginally change the shape of the top of the guitar. The difference between the carved tops of these guitars and the carved top of the SE Singlecut and SE Singlecut Trem models is negligible. So, if you would be so kind, I'd like to know what the Vintage series, the ESP 1000's, and the Epiphone Ultra II can do for you that no guitar in the SE series can.
Just gonna throw this out there but the reason UG bandwagons so much is because most of the stuff we bandwagon is crap. I own a spider 3 and i hate it, i own an agile and i love it. I have also owned an epiphone and i borrwed a custom shop les paul from my uncle for 3 days. So yes we all lean one way or the other, BECAUSE WERE RIGHT. That is all.

To TS: take the prs. they are a high quality name brand for a reason
~Defiant~
Quote by MrFlibble

obviously. I was just giving him another option
Jesus ****ing Christ, check out these reviews for the Schecter C-1 Classic... I'm going to play one ASAP, and if I can't, I might even take a blind leap of faith...
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--SCEC1CL
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Quote by RoflCopter Ace
You've sure got a lot to say,
And you're terrible at quoting. If you're going to quote someone's entire post, just remove all the text and leave their name, save everyone form having to scroll down it again.

but you sill haven't explained why you think PRS's SE series is "crap".
Except I did, right away.

Also, the question of carved versus flat top on an electric guitar is, in most cases, purely aesthetic
Absolute bollocks, as any long-term player or luthier will tell you. Ever played a carved top Strat? Ever played a flat-top Les Paul next to a regular one? There is a huge, huge difference in tone and feel, not to mention the issue of playability as as the neck pocket has to be angled which in some cases can drastically hinder/improve higher fret access. Then of course there's the plain sustain issue which is absolutely undeniable, more mass = more sustain.
You might not like carved tops, and that's fine, but they do make a huge difference tot he feel and especially the tone of a guitar, and most people looking at PRS are after the full carved top double cut style that PRS is most famous for.

The wood used in these tops is no more or less "solid" than the wood used in the SE's tops, so all the carve does is marginally change the shape of the top of the guitar.
Actually, this is where you're really wrong and it pains me to even have to go over this again. Let's take the Epiphone as our key example since it's the most widely available and easiest for you to check this on: Epiphones have carved, solid maple carved caps. The only veneer is a prettier flame or quilt veneer used on some models, since though the top is already solid maple, it is not maple chosen for it's aesthetic qualities. So you're now wrong on both counts: firstly on how much a carved top effects the guitar, and secondly in how other brands are made.

So, if you would be so kind, I'd like to know what the Vintage series, the ESP 1000's, and the Epiphone Ultra II can do for you that no guitar in the SE series can.
The primary thing is they've got better hardware. It's undeniable and as simple as that: Vintage Advance have Gotoh/Wilkinson hardware, Epi's have things like Grover tuners (not licensed Grovers, actual Grovers) and LockTone bridges, and the ESP-LTD 1000 series get a variety of locking tuners, Grover tuners, the FR-1000 bridge which is for all intents and purposes exactly like the OFR - and so forth. The quality of the wood seems to be on par with the PRS models in most cases though I've come across a fair few LTD-1000's that have certainly had higher grade maple and rosewood in their necks, then there's been the build quality; I'm not saying every Vintage, Epi and ESP I've played has been totally flawless, but what flaws there have been have been few and far between and I've certainly found a few instances which have been as close to flawless as you can expect to get at this low price range. On the other hand of the PRS SE models I've played, every single one of them has had a mixture of finish flaws, poor fretwork, poorly cut nuts, etc etc. Tonally the PRS SE's have suffered too; the Vintage Advance guitars have the same sucky muddy tone but at least they cost less; the Epi Ultra-II's tone is mediocre but at least it's got it's shadowmag pickup to add interest; the LTD 1000's tone has always been simply great right out of the box.

Do I need to go on or would you like to know my thoughts on the strap buttons and what shirts our salesmen wear too?

Quote by divortium
Jesus ****ing Christ, check out these reviews for the Schecter C-1 Classic... I'm going to play one ASAP, and if I can't, I might even take a blind leap of faith...
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--SCEC1CL
To be fair, they are damn nice guitars for the money. There's a reason why they get suggested in nearly every thread here.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

Except I did, right away.

Mind refreshing my memory?

Epiphones have carved, solid maple carved caps. The only veneer is a prettier flame or quilt veneer used on some models, since though the top is already solid maple, it is not maple chosen for it's aesthetic qualities.

That's exactly what I said (though I didn't take the time to explain the purpose of the veneer.) Same as the PRS SE Singlecut. Do your research. The SE Singlecut, both stoptail and trem models, have carved tops. A carved top doesn't mean more wood or mass. The double-cutaway models in the SE series have what is essentially the same top as the guitars you suggested (and as the Singlecut) without a carve. The fact that you made it clear in an earlier post that you thought all SEs were flattops doesn't lend you the credibility that your condescending tone would suggest, and if I didn't like guitars with carved tops, I wouldn't own one. I understand that you don't like the SE series, and that's a matter of preference. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the hardware on my Singlecut or any of the other ones I've played, and the neck plays like a dream. You're entitled to your opinion.

Do I need to go on or would you like to know my thoughts on the strap buttons and what shirts our salesmen wear too?

I really hope that was sarcasm...
Jesus christ Mrflibble has an opion big woop everyone is entitled to one, I don't like Epiphone I think they're crap but people don't keep onto me about it. I like PRS but on the SE series everyone i've tried has had really crap paintwork on the neck.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Last edited by Tokai09 at Aug 16, 2009,
Page 1 of 2