I'm having trouble creating the song form while writing music

I know the basic AABA, rondo, Verse-Chorus-Bridge stuff, but how do I go about structuring something more complex?

For instance, a ten minute long so with multiple parts- how do I go about structuring it? What are the more complex song structures?
You could do a through composed piece. That's where you never repeat sections. You may do a playback to an earlier section, but nothing like a return of A or B.

Also, look at the song One by Metallica. It's almost like two songs chained together, except same lyrical material and flow. I don't know if my explanation there made sense.
Listen to a bunch of songs by your favorite bands and analyze them, that's probably the best thing you can do.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Do you have something to say that will take ten minutes to say, and ten minutes of music to go along with it? Don't write a long song for the sake of doing so (except as an exercise to improve your songwriting ability, but we play chromatic exercises to improve speed, so exercises don't really count). That's how you end up with something like Angel and the Gambler. The song has a lot of catchy riffs, but it should have been two minutes shorter. How many times can one ask if another thinks he can save a life?

It's okay to have verse-chorus structure in an epic song. The Odyssey by Symphony X is in that format, albeit, that's a long interlude. Other long Maiden songs (I've been a Maiden freak this summer and I don't think I want it to end) with psuedo verse-chorus structure are Dream of Mirrors and The Clansman. Quite a few Dreat Theater songs are 7 or 8 minutes long, but use two verses, three choruses: standard verse-chorus format. Under a Glass Moon comes to mind.

Of course, there are long songs that don't follow any clear format. Opeth's Blackwater Park doesn't seem to follow any standard structure; they just "sing" and play when they want for twelve minutes.

If you can't write a three-minute pop song, you can't write a ten-minute epic. It does not work that way; one is bad at something before one is good. However, one can most certainly make improvements by practice and work. Yes, music is supposed to be fun, not like some boring school subject like math - only the regulars will find that comment funny - but it's more fun when you're good. You don't have to like everything about music at every moment in your life. It's okay to do something unpleasant to improve your skills, knowing that when you get better, whatever you were doing will be a lot of fun and the hard work will have been worth it.
Quote by Anteaterking
You could do a through composed piece. That's where you never repeat sections. You may do a playback to an earlier section, but nothing like a return of A or B.

Also, look at the song One by Metallica. It's almost like two songs chained together, except same lyrical material and flow. I don't know if my explanation there made sense.

I'd rather not do a through-composed piece, it's too... non-directional

The thing I don't like about songs like that is that they give the listener nothing to latch on to; they just feel too non-directional, ya know?

But yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to go through and analyze songs of bands I know
Quote by The Horror!
I'd rather not do a through-composed piece, it's too... non-directional

The thing I don't like about songs like that is that they give the listener nothing to latch on to; they just feel too non-directional, ya know?
You can have a repeating riff.
long songs r awesome the longer the better
a lot of long songs ive listened to start out fast then have a slower part in the middle then and fast. u can try that.

sometimes repeating sections makes a song more interesting to me but DO NOT repeat it to much and make it annoying :-P

something like abcabdabecde would sound awesome!