im looking for a Les Paul type guitar that has a reasonable price but is reliable because i had one where the neck bent after you played it once, anything under $1000 is good i guess cuz if its more im better off just buying an actual one. so any suggestions?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
epiphone?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Edwards.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Koshman32
epiphone?

i havent gotten good feedback about epiphone's, i heard their tone is horrible

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
the higher end ESP/LTD EC series are pretty good. I wouldnt call them a knock off though. but they do have a different feel than a les paul.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Last edited by Drew Dolezal at Aug 14, 2009,
Epiphone, Tokai, ESP (or ESP-LTD for their more affordable models), look in the pre-owned market for a mid-90's Gibson LP Studio, depending on what country you're in and how much you're willing to spend on importing then Agile/Vintage (Agile is good for the USA but costs a lot to import to any other countries, Vintage tend to be better guitars but aren't easily available in the USA and can cost a lot to import to Mexico and Canada).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ESP Eclipse: I've never played one but I've heard nothing praise for them
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Michael Kelly Patriot, high end guitars for a low price because they're a relatively new manufacturer trying to get their name out. I own one and switched in some seymour duncan pickups and now it rocks. much better than epi and a lot of other similarly priced LP knock offs
Quote by bass-man9712
i havent gotten good feedback about epiphone's, i heard their tone is horrible

And don't listen to this, the sound is pretty close to a Gibson's tone. Not as good as a Gibson, but still good.
Quote by MLilienthal
tokai les paul's are awesome

i've taken a look at some and they're nice but where do you think i could get ahold of one? besides over the internet

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
i've taken a look at some and they're nice but where do you think i could get ahold of one? besides over the internet

I saw one at Steve's music in Toronto once and it was incredible.. I don't know if you can find them in a lot of stores
I have a greg bennett and it sounds pretty good. It was a bit bright for me at first but I just adjusted the pickups and it sounds great now. The body looks a little different on the avions but I like it.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
A gibson studio, edwards, tokai love rock, or a ltd ec-1000 should serve you right.
if you're going to spend up to $1000 i'd look around for a nice ESP LTD EC-1000 or something along those lines

unless you're completely against LTD guitars, i think these look great. would give you a few features a real LP wouldn't, too. like a thinner neck and 24 frets. when you factor that in it's almost not even "Les-Paul-like" at that point lol but up to you

i'm not a fan of the binding or inlay on them, though
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by ZoSo_bc89
Michael Kelly
I just looked at their stuff and it looks awesome,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
the obvious answer seems epiphone and if you have only heard that other people don't like their tone doesn't mean you wont go to your music store and try them out and than try out every other LP in your price range and see what you like
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
epiphone....whoever said they have bad tone is stupid, basicly the closest thing to gibson les paul
I would already own an ESP Eclipse if it weren't for those God damned EMG's they have in there. Hate those things. Absolutely hate em. And their "w/ Duncans" models all look like **** because they only come in Honey Burst.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Will you shut up, not all Eclipse with SDs come in sunburst.

Quote by VanTheKraut
I would already own an ESP Eclipse if it weren't for those God damned EMG's they have in there. Hate those things. Absolutely hate em. And their "w/ Duncans" models all look like **** because they only come in Honey Burst.
people say epi's tone sucks cause the pickups are crap, but gibsons stock ones are all that much better. get an epi and throw in some after markets (duncan, dimarzio, emg, whatever floats ur boat). if u find one that plays nice, it will be just like a gibson, and sound better.

however, go tokai if u want a real les paul without the gibson price, or else get an LTD/Schecter soloist for something a little flashier and emgs.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I would search for a used Gibby first and foremost if that didn't pan out. I would go for an Epi IMHO they are the closest you ever going to get to a Gibson LP in some cases better IMO. The next choice would be an Agile they make a great LP copy. A few ESP LPs I have tried were OK but IMO over priced and the lower end LTDs I just didn't care for.

I have tried Tokia and Edwards but I never really cared for any that I got to play. Truthfully there are some less popular brands like Alden Raven West and Jay Turser I thought were much better. I am really becoming a fan of Jay Turser guitars I am working on getting another LP very soon.

In the end you need to go out and try guitars for yourself with an unbiased frame of mind. Try Gibsons, Epis and what ever other LP copies you can find. Compare them and buy what your happy with.

John
I say Tokai's the best.
Same specs as Gibson, no difference in body shape at all (even headstock and lettering are the same). Mahogany body with maple top, and a great finish.
I'm not talking about the ones that look like Studio LPs, I find those sketchy. I'm talking about the ones that look like standards/classics.
The only difference I've noticed is a little on the neck... but it's definitely a good thing. Feels smoother than a Gibson standard.

They will be hard to find in North America, since it's illegal or something for shops to order and sell. However, some shops (in Canada, at least) will still have some in stock, either because they have some left over before it became illegal in Canada (happened three years ago), or they buy them off of other shops. Even so, they're still only about $500-600Canadian. For the price, it's amazing.
Tokai is the closest thing you'll get to a Gibson...I don't even think Gibson are as close to Gibson anymore since the whole Robot thing and their new Standard models suck.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
The Agile AL-4000 which is somewhere around $600. They might be discontinued though.

If you have $1000, I'd say look for an Elitist.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I can put in a good word for the ESP/Ltd EC-1000, I've played them and they're outstanding, especially for their price. Have a look at espguitars.com and see what you think of the different pickup and finish combinations, and maybe some different models if you don't like abalone.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60