Recently my wrist really hurts, right at the joint. It's the side with my pinky finger on it. It hurts when I strum. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and if so how they fixed it.
Thanks
Well I'd lay off the guitar for a while thats sure
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
make sure your not tensing up your arm or any other part of your body when playing. I say take a couple of days off and ice it or something
Where's Waldo?

yay
u shouldn't suddenly stop play very relaxed no crazy strumming give it some r&r for a few weeks it will go away and over time it will not hurt in a way your wrist will gain more stamina if u continue strumming hard at this moment u may develope carpel tunnel syndrome which will risk your guitar playing and will require an operation to fix so don't worry bout it and relax.
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
under ice and you'll be fine

be careful of carpel tunnel syndrome that **** keeps me awake at night
Internet forums are not meant to be a source of medical advice. Just put down the guitar for a while and if you're really concerned about your wrist, see a doctor.

Sorry to be a dick about it, but the site can get into legal trouble because of stuff like this as far as I know, so *reported*.
warm up properly and it won`t happen, i posted a warmup routine about a month ago go find it amongst my posts `cos there`s no way i`m typing it out again other than to say a proper warmup takes 30-45 minutes. and relax when playing, there`s also threads on how to hold a guitar, how to adjust strap length ect all of which can/will contribute to you getting back to playing

i don`t think it`s carpel tunnel syndrome `cos the pain you describe is in the wrong area of his wrist.

@ quailman did it really warrant a report or are you just here to get peeps banned
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 15, 2009,
You've got to take responsibility for how you manage injuries, there aren't too many physiotherapists on UG. I've had sprains, carpal tunnel and nerve damage and had to deal with them so I could play, but I wouldn't recommend any particular method for someone else.

I actually got to the point that playing bass was affecting my ability to use my left hand at work, and I contemplated giving it up in case it prevented me from earning a living (damn you Chris Wolstenholme). I did get past that.

The only advice I will give is that if you're straining your picking hand, you may find that a heavier gauge pick takes some of the strain off, although it will feel really clumsy at first.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by ibanezgod1973

@ quailman did it really warrant a report or are you just here to get peeps banned

If you ask for medical advice in the pit, the thread immediately gets locked. When I used to post there regularly, the mods didn't get tired of telling people to stop asking medical questions.
I think it's because things can go like this:
TS asks for medical advice -> Somebody gives bad advice -> TS' problem gets worse following the advice -> TS sues UG for f*cking up his health.

I don't think he'll get banned, or even warned. Not like he posted goatse or anything.
Quote by TheQuailman
If you ask for medical advice in the pit, the thread immediately gets locked. When I used to post there regularly, the mods didn't get tired of telling people to stop asking medical questions.
I think it's because things can go like this:
TS asks for medical advice -> Somebody gives bad advice -> TS' problem gets worse following the advice -> TS sues UG for f*cking up his health.

I don't think he'll get banned, or even warned. Not like he posted goatse or anything.

the trick is not to give med advice but 9/10 it`s not a med problem peeps need to understand that in order to play guitar for an hour means that uou need to warm up as if you were going for an hours run, if you don`t loosen muscles and get the blood moving your gonna injure yourself it`s common sense not med advice.

if i lost both my arms in some freak accident i`m not going to come to ug to sutre them back on, if you want medical diagnosis ask a doc if you want a opinion on what your doing wrong and why, then i`m sure there is no prob with these threads.

QUOTE]
that is unbelieveably stupid. and you could've just said "hey man the site could get in some legal you might wanna edit/delete your post" no need to report someone, snitch.

the sad thing is there are people stupid enough to sue...lmao can you imagine this:
TIMY! Wtf happened to you?!?! How did your arm fall off causing your guitar strings to snap and cut your dick off?!
But TheQuailman on UG told me to do it so my wrist would stop hurting when i strum!!
That's it mister! We're suing this "UG"

And to TS, I suggest you take a break for a day or 2, ice it, and smoke a lil weed to stop the pain. Plus, it'll chill you out so you'll be good and relaxed when you start playin again.

Oh, and if your mommy catches you.....DONT SUE!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser

And to TS, I suggest you take a break for a day or 2, ice it, and smoke a lil weed to stop the pain. Plus, it'll chill you out so you'll be good and relaxed when you start playin again.

Oh, and if your mommy catches you.....DONT SUE!

i`ve already reported 1 person this week for promoting drug use
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i`ve already reported 1 person this week for promoting drug use

marijuana is legal, for medicinal uses anyway. In about 14 states I believe? One of the uses of medicinal marijuana is to help pain, plus it is natural and non-addictive like many other painkillers that doctors prescribe.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by TheQuailman
Internet forums are not meant to be a source of medical advice. Just put down the guitar for a while and if you're really concerned about your wrist, see a doctor.

Sorry to be a dick about it, but the site can get into legal trouble because of stuff like this as far as I know, so *reported*.

its a guitar related problem what the hell is your problem?
Quote by Archieisted
its a guitar related problem what the hell is your problem?

I believe he quite clearly stated his reasons.
Quote by Splagl
Recently my wrist really hurts, right at the joint. It's the side with my pinky finger on it. It hurts when I strum. I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and if so how they fixed it.
Thanks

Yeah should definitely have a wrest for a bit. Next time when you strum, try and losen your wrist, if you are tensing it to much this may be what is causing the pain.
Yeah hard "strumming" Nah just rest your hand for a while and warm up before you play
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
What is with all these people getting reported? Lol. Well thank you to those who have given good advise. And the advise of people saying relax and ice it wouldn't cause any bad problems where I would sue UG. I don't even think I could. That's like getting help over the phone and something went wrong, would I sue the maker of the phone? But yeah my wrist has been acting up for a couple days so I might see the doctor today.
Thanks again for the advise.