Hey guys, I know there are 50 threads a day about this stuff, but I don't know that I have the answer I need. After reading this board for the last week or so I have officially joined the bandwagon (after trying not to) and returned my Spider III 15w today that I bought a few weeks ago.

I am a total noob to guitar, I have an Ibanez RGR421 on order and have been waiting for it for a couple weeks, so in the meantime I have been researching amps. I have literally never strummed a guitar through an amp before, but I do think this is a hobby I will stick with for a while.

I need something small, something relatively cheap (say around $300). I am willing to buy used but it's a pain up here in Canuckistan with shipping across the border. I like mostly classic rock and 80's type metal (Metallica, Megadeth, G'nR etc etc) and that is the music I will most likely start out playing, so I would like something that has some decent distortion without a pedal for now.

I have found some good things on here about the Blackstar HT-5 but I may have to go used for that.

Would I just be better off to get something like a Vypyr 15/30 being a beginner?
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Aug 14, 2009,
If you are an absolute beginner - the Vypyr. It will give you reasonable representations of amp/cab/effects (digitally modeled) everyone here talks about. That's more usefull for a beginner. And it's a decent/cheap amp to boot.
The Blackstar is an awesome budget practice amp (it'll hold it's own live with and without a mic - depending on the drums). But you need some experiece with tone and technigue to get the most of it. This amp is best when you can feel it.
You can also consider the Roland Cube series. Cheap with good tones.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
You can also consider the Roland Cube series. Cheap with good tones.

I was just gonna say...
After looking around a bit more I think I am going to go with the Vypyr 30. I don't really need the extra power, but the extra effects and footswitch capability etc will probably be worth it in the long run. Should do me well for a couple years when and if I decide to get serious.
I'm getting a B-52 AT112 soon, maybe you could try looking into it?
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
blackheart
cheap and they take pedals really well.
or you can get a VT VOX which has preamp tubes
Blackheart = win!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I just read the user manual for the VT15 and it looks pretty darn good, and I like the fact you can limit the power on it and keep the volume up.

So, it's between the Vypyr 30 and Vox VT15, I do NOT need the extra power of the 30 watt, I would just be upgrading to it for foot pedal capability and the stompbox effects, price is basically the same up here between these two.

My main question now is, will the Vox play heavy enough for me? I don't care if it's gets into ridiculous black metal distortion, but I need it to be able to Godsmack like distortion...
The best price Ive seen on a great Tube amp is a used Peavey Classic 30. They can go as low as 250 on CL. I would have bought one at the time, but it was quite a drive fro me, it was in dallas.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Guys, please read the whole thread, I think a tube amp is out of the running now as I don't want to spend that much quite yet, plus I would need a distortion pedal... Leaning toward the VT15 or Vypyr 30...
Sounds good. Pick the one that looks cooler/lighter/has the best warranty plan/has the best bumper to bumber coverage.

Bout the same, then?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
theres the vox vt-xl series that is supose to be really good on metal distrotion. check it out and see. the vox vt series is realy versible....
the vypyr or roland cube will do fine..good luck!
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I'd say take the vypyr 30. Can do metal better than the vox and can do classic rock and such just fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by potatohead_33
Guys, please read the whole thread, I think a tube amp is out of the running now as I don't want to spend that much quite yet, plus I would need a distortion pedal... Leaning toward the VT15 or Vypyr 30...
The Vypyr's not a bad amp, but a tube amp shouldn't be out of the running. A Super Champ XD is $300 and is capable of your distortion requirements w/o using pedals. You could even go with the Vibro Champ XD for $200. Both have the same distortion options, but the SCXD is 15 watts (and 2 channel)vs 5 watts for the 1 channel VCXD.