I've figured out a pretty good muting technique for lead playing that I haven't read about anywhere. When playing your awesome solo have your right hand actually resting on the strings over the pickups. Have it resting on all the low (bass) strings below the string you are picking. To stop the higher (treble) strings from ringing use your left hand to mute the strings sine they are above the string you are picking and under your fingers. So your left and right hand act as a team to mute the strings on both sides of the sounding string(s).

For example.

Lets say you are playing a note on the high E. Your right hand would be resting on every string except the high E.

If you are playing a note on the low E, your left hand would be muting all the strings except the low E.

If you are playing on the D string, your right hand would be muting the low E and A strings while your left hand is muting G, B and E strings.

It feels very natural for your left hand and gives your right hand a great flexible and comfortable place to sit with a purpose!
Last edited by Boxxxed at Aug 14, 2009,
I don't think I've ever considered that a "technique," more just something I've always done instinctively. Nicely explained, though.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
thats a good technique but im pretty sure ive read about it before, i think it was a lesson on UG
hate to burst your bubble, but

this is already widely known and is actually one of the basics. this is one of the first things beginners usually learn.

thanks for trying to help though
It came natural to me and I personally haven't read about it anywhere. Wasn't sure if it came natural to everyone so I thought I'd make a post about it.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
I don't think I've ever considered that a "technique," more just something I've always done instinctively. Nicely explained, though.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M