Watching joe pass instructional

i suppose extensions, like Am6 is the same as Am13th? and so is 2nd to 9th, 4th to 11th, etc. (n+7)

thanks!
pretty much. however, i believe the higher numbers are higher octave. like on a piabo, an Am6 will all be in the same octave, while an Am13, the aminor triad will be in one octave, and your 6th will be an octave higher then normal? i think thats how it works
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
It is true that a 13th is a 6th, just up an octave. But when you have an extended chord such as Amin13, that chord will contain the original triad, as well as some important steps. So basically the Amin13 is = Amin+b7+9+11+13.
I'm guessing you mean Am7b13?
The biggest difference between a m6 and a m7b13 is the presence of a seventh. Furthermore you can have other extensions such as ninths and elevenths in a thirtenth chord. What the others said about extension being in another octave isn't necessarily true, especailly not when dealing with inversions.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
The biggest difference between a m6 and a m7b13 is the presence of a seventh.

This is wrong. The 6th is always a major 6th above the root unless it is altered.

TS, Am6 is not the same as Am13, because the Am13 contains other notes. However when considering extensions it is helpful to remember that the 2nd is the same note as the 9th, and likewise 4th and 11th and 6th and 13th, which seems to be part of your question. Taking that knowledge, go and read about chord construction and the different scale degrees included in each chord will be explained.
And right you are. I was convinced that minor sixth chords had a minor sixth degree. THe main difference is still the presence of a seventh though.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane