Page 1 of 6
This an extension of the thread in musicians talk https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182763&page=1&pp=20
Basically Gibson's ceo is, as reported by a multitude of workers, a clueless asshole who is running the company into the ground.
Which brings us to this, http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/savegibson/
I'm not sure how much good it'll do, but the goal of the group is pretty much to raise awareness regarding what's going on with Gibson and why their quality control isn't what it used to be.
Not to mention the reverse v, holy explorer, etc...you get the point
Edit: Even though the link is i nthat thread I'll put it here anyway
Worker reviews of the company: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm
Most, if not all, point out that the lessening quality of Gibson products can be attributed to the current CEO.
Edit2: Disturbing thing I just found on here http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-02-20-forum-gibson_x.htm
As CEO, Juszkiewicz turned around Gibson, and now he's determined to transform it into a broader kind of a company — a "musician lifestyle" company, as he calls it — modeled as much on Nike as on any guitar maker.

Q:What else did you do? A: I said we are going to increase prices. Prices were ridiculously low. And people said, the price has been decreasing 20% a year, how can you reverse that? I said I'm just going to double the prices on a lot of models. I actually tested it and got an inverse price curve. Basically it showed that every time I raised prices a certain amount, volume would go up.

^Gibsons are ridiculously overpriced...well here's why^
Edit3: TO ALL THOSE NOT JOINING BECAUSE THEY DISLIKE GIBSON
Quote by Waffleguy
It's not about whether you like Gibson or not it's about a legendary company that is going down due to some idiot CEO. If you don't like them because they are overpriced and bad quality that is the fault of the CEO. In the interview he said he just doubled the prices .

Edit4: To anyone blaming it on incompetence of the workers
The worst place I have ever worked. The CEO is the worst ever, resulting in the most dysfunctional corporate culture I have ever experienced or even heard of.

I was repeatedly assigned projects that had nothing to do with the job I was hired for, and things that I had no experience with. For example, I was once asked to do a project using a specific new software that the company had purchased, and given a deadline of two days. The software was recently released and very complex, and I had never used it, nor had anyone else in my department. I opened the tutorial, and it was 3 DAYS long. And I was charged with learning the software and producing this very complex report in 2 days. When I explained the problem to the CEO, he laughed and said, "Guess you'll have to sleep here," and walked away. When the project was not completed on time (duh), I was reprimanded and written up.

Later, when I was fired (with no severance, by the way), my "failure" on the above project was one of the reasons cited.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 15, 2009,
Yea, its sad what they've done the past couple years...
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Meh. I'm good.

While I do enjoy a few Gibsons, I wouldn't call myself an avid fan.

If the company goes under, I'm indifferent.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Joined the group. I had no idea Gibson was doing so badly. We can't have shoddy guitars from such a big company; it's bad for their reputations, and for new players who buy their guitars and aren't satisfied.
<<My lyric. Critique, please?

You can't change the world but you can make a dent.
It's basically just to raise awareness as to what's going on inside the company and why they are losing their touch

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Just read some of the reviews from workers.

That's terrible. That Henry dude needs to go.
Seeing as this is the godliest guitar ever created, I would be rather sad if Gibson went under.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/iommi_files/IommiSGBlack.jpg

Quote by crazy8rgood
Just read some of the reviews from workers.

That's terrible. That Henry dude needs to go.

Linky, please?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Aug 15, 2009,
I never liked Gibsons that much anyway. I prefer no-name guitars
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I'm not a Gibson fan. I'm fairly indifferent to them, but I like Firebirds and ES-335's. I'm signing because of three reasons:

1. Gibson has such rich history, same with Fender and Epiphone. No Gibson, epiphone take a HUGE hit, and they are essentail to the guitar market as we know it.
2. In honor of Les Paul, not to be all "ZOMG RIP LES PAULz!" or anything, but you get the point.
3. I want to raise awareness for something other than breast cancer and racial discrimination for once.
Quote by darkstar2466
Seeing as this is the godliest guitar ever created, I would be rather sad if Gibson went under.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/iommi_files/IommiSGBlack.jpg

Linky, please?

It's in the thread that I linked in the OP

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Those reviews were very surprising I've always kinda wanted to work there but good god it sounds awful. I joined the group but not because I love Gibson or anything mostly because it's a legendary brand and I would hate to see it go because the name in it self is iconic and those guitars are what started me off (not owning one but my guitar idols at the time played Les Pauls and SGs) I really hope things turn around for Gibson.
I was disappointed when I found out that Gibson was just becoming a corrupt "money > customer" company. I mean all companies are like that, but moreso with Gibson than Fender.

I read another thread where a Gibson employee had contributed to. Apparently they don't even care about the quality of the woods on the 2008 models. The chambering pretty much makes it unidentifiable.

The Les Paul is so goddamn expensive when compared to their other models. I understand it's their flagship model, but look at Fender.

Hopefully, removing the CEO will fix it, but how?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
meh, fender>gibson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Quote by Strato-Massacre
meh, fender>gibson

But they need eachother, otherwise the guitar market would suffer. Basically, they each have a perfect counter for eachother.
Quote by AntiG3
I was disappointed when I found out that Gibson was just becoming a corrupt "money > customer" company. I mean all companies are like that, but moreso with Gibson than Fender.

I read another thread where a Gibson employee had contributed to. Apparently they don't even care about the quality of the woods on the 2008 models. The chambering pretty much makes it unidentifiable.

The Les Paul is so goddamn expensive when compared to their other models. I understand it's their flagship model, but look at Fender.

Hopefully, removing the CEO will fix it, but how?

Who knows, maybe if we get enough support for this we could actually get a protest of some sort going...maybe even a strike? I'm not sure, but something has to be done.

Maybe the CEO will see our plight and his heart will grow three sizes and he'll remedy the situation
/fairy tale ending
Edit: Also, anybody want to design a better group logo? I just did that hasty MS paintjob to have something as a placeholder

Quote by i_killed_bill
No. They're ****ing expensive

Look at edited OP

Quote by musiclover2399
I haven't read the article yet, but aren't CEOs typically voted on by fellow executives and share holders? You would think they'd do something about this.

Unfortunately not in this case, as Gibson is a private company.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 15, 2009,
Damn, i hope they dont go belly up for another 10-20 years, because that is when im planing to buy a Gibson!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
i like fenders better in every aspect.

however, it is a company and it is important (even if they are the pepsi to fender's coke) to musicians. and if workers are complaining, something must be done. the workers are the ones who do everything anyway.
#DTWD
Carvin > Gibson

Gibson can go by the wayside and I wouldn't really care.There are plenty of other quality American guitar makers out there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I'll be CEO.

Im getting my MBA in approximately 10 years so, i hope the company keeps turning to **** until i can swing in to turn things around and resave the company!

Jk.

But yeah i'll join because of the history of the brand and because it is legendary, etc...
Quote by primusfan
i like fenders better in every aspect.

however, it is a company and it is important (even if they are the pepsi to fender's coke) to musicians. and if workers are complaining, something must be done. the workers are the ones who do everything anyway.

...So you prefer Coke? I'm assuming because you called the company you favored more Coke.

If they disappeared, it would be a blow to the market, but I honestly can see someone completely taking their place eventually; probably a foreign company too. The only thing I could see happening is them going under, followed by whatever estate is in charge of copyright holding onto the guitar designs for years and licensing the shapes to other companies but at jacked up prices. I have no idea what would happen to Epi though.
Quote by musiclover2399
...So you prefer Coke? I'm assuming because you called the company you favored more Coke.

If they disappeared, it would be a blow to the market, but I honestly can see someone completely taking their place eventually; probably a foreign company too. The only thing I could see happening is them going under, followed by whatever estate is in charge of copyright holding onto the guitar designs for years and licensing the shapes to other companies but at jacked up prices. I have no idea what would happen to Epi though.

Epiphone is branched off of Gibson (mother company)

Gibson goes, Epiphone goes
Quote by Steeze
Epiphone is branched off of Gibson (mother company)

Gibson goes, Epiphone goes

Yeah, I said I don't know because I honestly feel that if Epi's owner/CEO/manager tried hard enough, they could probably buy themselves away from Gibson. It would be like a hero escaping through a hole in a wall in a teetering castle that's falling apart.

I've been playing too many RPG's, but I think the point should come across.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
They're basically how Fender was for a lot of the 80's (it was 80's right?.)
Don't suppose we'll get a nice reliable Japanese guitar company out of this do you?

Didn't Fender become cast aside in the 70's because of the CBS buyout and then continued to skid by until a rebirth in the 90's under new management?

I heard that nobody wanted to play new Gibsons in the 80's, especially because of quality. I also heard they had really low prices at the time, so back then they admitted that there was better but they're pretty pretentious now.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Aug 15, 2009,
the only really good guitars they're pumping out today are the historic series but they are massivly overpriced. gibson need to get rid of all the **** holy guitars and Zoot suit stuff and spend their money on qc and making a product that everyone wants
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
It's not about whether you like Gibson or not it's about a legendary company that is going down due to some idiot CEO. If you don't like them because they are overpriced and bad quality that is the fault of the CEO. In the interview he said he just doubled the prices .
Quote by Waffleguy

THIS
Seeing as I'm in the area, I might go and protest outside their UK headquarters in a few hours. I think this is complete bull**** what they're doing. The quality has gone down but the price has gone up. It should be reversed...Brilliant guitars at low prices but alas, that isn't going to happen under the current management.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
They should really get a new CEO. I've joined the group.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Oh damn, I love Gibsons. I'l join the group, didn't know just how badly they're doing.
Considering how many modern guitar companies base their guitars off of Gibson's classic ones, it'd be a massive shame to lose the original company. Plus a lot of beginners rely on Epiphone to give them decent guitars for a fairly low price. I'll join the group, something has to be done. I remember reading those reviews last night and it's just such a shame.
I actually hope the company falls. And nothing of value was lost.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.