(Not sure if this is where I should place the thread, but whatever.)
Alright, so it's about that time to goto college and I've been looking into music schools. Now, I live in Southwestern Ontario and am willing to goto school anywhere in Ontario or the northeastern United States, is anyone familiar with any good music schools in these areas. I'm looking for study in orchestration, teaching music, or movie/television scoring.

Now, I've looked into Berklee a little bit, but I'm looking for other options as well.

Any help would be great.
I personally plan on attending Berklee, mainly because I live on the east coast, otherwise I'd go to MI.
Berklee seems to be a bit more jazz/theory oriented than MI, which is primarily a performance school.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Standard colleges have music programs and I suggest that route over a pure music school. College is a lot of fun.

There are myriad good schools in the northeastern US. State schools are generally good value and you can count on getting in to most of them if you've done well in high school.

The Ivy Leauge schools are in a class of their own, of course, and I'm sure you know of them. I know nothing about their music programs, or even if they exist, but a diploma from Columbia is going to look good, and you can take classes with world-famous professors in subjects other than music. Imagine applying to graduate school for an advanced degree in music education with an letter of recommendation from a distinguished professor of education.

Quote by guitarskater11
Don't go for music, go for something that could be a backup if music doesn't workout for you.
One does not preculde the other. One could go to medical school or law school with a music degree (not kidding about the med school comment).
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Aug 15, 2009,
Waterloo, U of T, York are good schools, though I haven't checked out their music areas, or if they even have them.
If you have the grades, I would recommend staying in Ontario, they have a really good scholarship program.
Quote by catalan123
i hear berklee is quite hard to get in to

Notoriously so

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by guitarskater11
Don't go for music, go for something that could be a backup if music doesn't workout for you.

I agree.

Take music as a minor or something
To everyone saying don't do it: There are countless music careers other than performance. Session guitarist, audio engineering, music therapy, etc...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
Quote by catalan123
i hear berklee is quite hard to get in to

Actually, it's notoriously easy to get into as long as your check doesn't bounce.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Mcgill has an extradorinary music performance/jazz studies program and one of the top masters programs in Music Technology. If your good at classical or jazz look at universities like Temple University (phillidelphia) loyola new orleans (where im going to school, no better city for jazz) or University of New Orleans (which has one of the top jazz guitar teachers- steve masakowski), if your a true beast maybe look at NEC, NYU, University of Rochester (eastman) etc).
if you want only contremporary music Berklee and GIT (at musicians institute) and CalArts seem to be good places to look at.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Standard colleges have music programs and I suggest that route over a pure music school. College is a lot of fun.

+1 and I've been to both.
shred is gaudy music