yes, three days ago I was looking for a new hobby
and I had a guitar laying around so I decided why not try to play?
so i looked up how to read tabs and once I learned, I tried playing a song and here it is

I just need some pointers on techniques and stuff because this is my third day playing and I need some advice

Yes I know I'm not a good singer but singing just look and try to help me out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA32_yyz2NE
Kill yourself

But for reals when you sing open your throat hole(It should feel like your yawning) and breathe from your diaphragm. Also, you can contract your diaphragm to make it sound better. The guitar was pretty good.
i kinda feel like im choking when im singing like idk its wierd lol but thanks this is my third day, first two days were really hard but its getting easier

by the way guys
im a big boy
i can take insults and criticism so go ahead
Last edited by jeremygp24 at Aug 15, 2009,
Huh thats strange. You should warm up by singing the major scales or if you get more into it, I'd recommend buying a dvd called the Zen Of Screaming. Its focused towards screaming but, I've found that it helps singing vocals as well.

EDIT: Most people dont say anything about covers or "hows my playing" videos.
Last edited by neozeke at Aug 15, 2009,
The guitar was pretty good. For the singing, I think you just need to be a bit more confident. Ignore the fear and doubt and use your full voice.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Oh yeah one more thing dont forget to sit up straight, It does wonders.
yeah that could help but guitar is my focus right now, im still not too good at switching chords but its only been a few days so ill keep practicing and see
Practice the open chords and barre chords. For the next little while, the lessons on UG are going to be your best friend and your worst enemy.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
time to use google cuz i dont know what those are haha
i just went on a tab site and went with that so im clueless about actual guitar stuff
Although I wish I could fix my technique when I first started off, that would have bored me to death and I probably would have never picked up the instrument. The same might go for you, but I won't shove that down your throat.

Assuming that this is your case, I recommend this path of progression:

• Learn as many chords as you can, just play as comfortably as you can. Once you're good enough to play along to tabs without thinking about it.. ditch 'em immediately. This means that you've gotten your playing to a sufficient enough level that you can actually start working on proper technique. Note: you don't have to play along perfectly to the tabs or even hit all the notes, what matters here is that you're just building your fingers into finely tuned fretting machines. You have to be able to develop the ability to just play the thing at first.
  • You might actually be terrible at that point and might be hesitant to stop using tabs. I recommend that you still quit using them despite any concerns you may have then. Here is the reality, or at least my idea of reality: tabs are a crutch and it'll only teach you two things. One: how to play other people's stuff according to the transcriber's biases. Two: the actual foundation for guitar playing that you can work on and develop in order to make you a stronger player.
  • From then on you just need to be dedicated and put in your hours... but it's not JUST hours, it's HOW YOU PRACTICE during those hours later on! Ever since I heard Tom Hess talk about why guitar players fail to progress, the word 'complacency' has been finely engraved into my head. If you search up any of my posts on this forum, I think I've said it a dozen times. Complacency is your worst enemy. Never be too satisfied with yourself, otherwise you might stop playing and waste precious time that could be spent getting better.

Or you could just wing it and progress the way you think you should. I wouldn't call my method the path to virtuosity because I'm nowhere near awesome or even a shred of virtuosity, but I find it would work for people who don't have the patience to practice properly at first and just need foundations for playing.
yeahh i need to start learning chords
another problem i have is when i try to switch to play another song
its really hard to sing and strum correctly
that just takes practice right?
Quote by jeremygp24
time to use google cuz i dont know what those are haha
i just went on a tab site and went with that so im clueless about actual guitar stuff

I would say just check out the lessons section of UG. There's a lesson for anything you could imagine.

Barre chords are chords that require you to "bar" one of your fingers across part/all of the neck at a certain fret. For example, here's an A Major Barre Chord:

e|-5-
B|-5-
G|-6-
D|-7-
A|-7-
E|-5-

For that, keep your index finger straight and fret all the strings at the 5th fret. Then use your ring finger for the 7th fret of the A string, pinky for the 7th fret D string, and middle finger for 6th fret G string.

Open chords are just chords that have a string ringing open. Here's an open C Major chord:

e|-0-
B|-1-
G|-0-
D|-2-
A|-3-
E|---
Quote by Geldin
oooohhh i get it
thanks that was informative
yeah at first i couldnt do bar chords but i got new strings on my second day of guitar and i could, its maybe just my head or the strngs helped
No problem. If you ever need any advice, just ask. That's what we're here for. Have fun and good luck.
Quote by Geldin
i have another problem

when im strumming and singing a new song
i tend to strum to the beat of my singing
or sing to the beat me strumming you know?
and it screws the song up
is there a technique to fix that or should i just practicE?
Quote by jeremygp24
i have another problem

when im strumming and singing a new song
i tend to strum to the beat of my singing
or sing to the beat me strumming you know?
and it screws the song up
is there a technique to fix that or should i just practicE?

That comes with practice. I do it as well when I am learning to sing. I'd learn the chords VERY well first. Learn them so well that it takes no effort at all to play them, and after that, slowly work in the vocals. It's easy to do!
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
That's mostly just practice but there are a few things you could do. First, learn each part separately. Memorize the lyrics before you look at the tabs. Play the guitar part over and over until you can do it perfectly without thinking about it at all. Then all you have to do it synchronize the lyrics with it and if you know the song well enough it usually isn't that hard. Start with something simple like Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. The main riff is really easy to play and it mostly just repeats throughout the song. Play that over and over until it's second nature. Then add in the vocals.

Another thing that you will come across is chord changes that are in different spots on the neck. So if you are playing a chord progression like A, D, E, you could so it all as open chords or you could do it as barre chords. If you use barres, what I've seen some people do is layer some pieces of tape on the back of the neck in the spot where your thumb is for each chord. Then you don't even have to look down at the guitar, you could just rely where the tape is.
Quote by Geldin
Stop trying to sing and play and just concentrate on the guitar for the time being -singing and playing together is 10 times harder than doing one at a time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com