hey all. I hardly ever go on this forum but recently i really got more into acoustic music. anyway im interested in buying one. I cant decide between classical or acoustic though. I love to just strum around, but i also like to fingerpick alot when playing acoustic songs. If i opted for classical would it be worth it to kill alittle of the tone for nylon strings which are easier on the fingers. Or should i get an acoustic and try and build up my fingers. thanks!
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
Get a classical, it's worth it for finger picking
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Would i still be able to play acoustic steel string songs fine without having it sound bad. I often play coffee house gigs and the other artists mainly use steel string. altho they are mostly all rhythym cause they sing and i accompany on a lead guitar sort of part.
Gear.
a guitar with low action and light strings can be just as easy on the fingers as a classical. try light silk and steel strings with a short scale steel string acoustic - i don't mean a 3/4 size, but a 24.5 or so inch scale like a gibson j-45 or a lot of taylors or a seagull s6. my husband uses 10's on his j-45, tunes down one step and that guitar plays like buttah i keep 10s on my seagull but keep it to E, and it's still gentle and easy to play.

btw, i played coffee house gigs with a classical for years - a lot of them, actually. never had a problem with the sound. lots of people preferred the nylon strings, but i prefer steel so i finally switched.
Last edited by patticake at Aug 15, 2009,
They both have majorly different tones, but with the steel string, it is a lot louder, and you can also get electric steel strings, or use pickups with it, so playing in a coffee house, it would be better to hear. That being said, you can mic up the nylong string.

Just go with what feels best for you to start with, and by your musical tastes, and over time you may end up with one of each
well i within the last 10 minutes found out i will be coming into an old 1980's acoustic sometime next week. Im sure its not good but ill get it a good setup and new strings and it should do the job till i decide. I think i will try the 10's if it is a shorter scale guitar. It will be my first acoustic so if it is a normal scale what gauge do you recomend?
Gear.
Quote by Stratoman95
Would i still be able to play acoustic steel string songs fine without having it sound bad. I often play coffee house gigs and the other artists mainly use steel string. altho they are mostly all rhythym cause they sing and i accompany on a lead guitar sort of part.
If you played songs normally played on a steel string on a classical guitar it wouldn't necessarily sound bad. It would just have a very different sound, which may be a sound you are partial to. I personally prefer the tone that a steel string produces but I find any electric guitar solo played acoustically sounds better on my classical. It just has more....twang.

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

10s are always softer, whether the scale is normal or short. they're thinner, you see, and therefore less tension. i hear that's also true of silk and steels, but although i bought some to try on my s6, i haven't actually tried 'em yet as i put on d'addario phosphor bronze 10s and so far am liking 'em.
Thanks and one last question. can i put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic?
Gear.
no you can't.

also, my opinion is to get a steel string.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143