It's been a while since I've played a humbucker equipped guitar, and was wondering. Do humbuckers have that same bite (for a lack of a better word) as single coils, or does it basically sound like when I use two single coils on my guitar?
They are two different types of pickups, hence two different sounds. If they sounded the same, why would two different types of pickups ever be invented in the first place?
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
To me, they sound less trebley and thicker.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Flying Afros
They are two different types of pickups, hence two different sounds. If they sounded the same, why would two different types of pickups ever be invented in the first place?

To get rid of the hum that regular single coils make?
Quote by Alex Vik
To get rid of the hum that regular single coils make?

If that was the only reason, why would they continue making single coils? I've never met a guitarist that liked the "Hum of my strat idling"
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Humbuckers have a deeper mellower sound while single coils have more twangy sound. The thickness and wood in the body also slightly affects this. Event though they'd have identical pickups, a SG would have a twangyer sound than a Les Paul because of the design
somebody correct me if i'm wrong. but i'll try to answer his question..

single coils to me have more high end trebly snap snarl and bite yes i can hear it in them, there seems to be a phenomenon that happens when you hum cancel two signle coils, it take out some of the clarity and snarl..

a humbucker is basically two single coils put together but i think they are wound to negate some of the down sides that come with a tele or mustang arrangement with the neck pickup being reverse? wound so they will cancel the hum when the pickup switch is in the middle postition. And if i'm not mistaken tele's have a electrical part that gives em more high end twang thus the famous tele twang.

ok in my experience witch is limited, a strat using a middle pickup with sucks for distortion it make everything flubby in the base. i hate strats for heavy gain and distortion. but i'm trying to see if i can get my sx strat to be like a mustang.

humbuckers are closely arranged aswell and negate some on what i was talking about earlyer in strats they are better suited for distortion. but again i like the mustang type distortion found and Nirvana's classic album Nevermind.

the distortion in that nirvana album to me is my type of sound and its not easy to create outside of a mustang that i can't afford anyway.

so i'll be buying a reverse would pickup for the neck probably from guitar fetish and some sort of strat set of pickups to see if i can't coax that sound from my new sx 24 inch neck guitar.

so strats suck for high end gain. i've not seen one that works as well as a humbucker in the bridge. in fact for truly high gain there's probably nothing better than a humbucker in the bridge. Everything else is up to your and everyone else's taste in sound
To someone that isnt a guitar player, they most likely wouldn't notice if you were uing a single coil or a humbucker, unless your guitar has coil tap and you play one then switch to the other. but i doubt most average listeners would notice much of a difference unless they were a musician of some sort...thats just my opinion though....lol sorry i didnt really answer your question. single coils just have more twang, tats the simplest way to put it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
To someone that isnt a guitar player, they most likely wouldn't notice if you were uing a single coil or a humbucker, unless your guitar has coil tap and you play one then switch to the other. but i doubt most average listeners would notice much of a difference unless they were a musician of some sort...thats just my opinion though....lol sorry i didnt really answer your question. single coils just have more twang, tats the simplest way to put it

I think average listeners(non-guitar players) are most definately able to tell the difference between the sound of a humbucker and a single coil. They might not be able to tell you that it's a single coil or a humbucker, but it's not like they're ****ing deaf or something.
Quote by wesselbindt
I think average listeners(non-guitar players) are most definately able to tell the difference between the sound of a humbucker and a single coil. They might not be able to tell you that it's a single coil or a humbucker, but it's not like they're ****ing deaf or something.

Maybe if it's just the guitar playing, but they definately wont be able to tell with some bass, drums and vocals goin the same time as the guitar. Especially the way music is these days...
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by kerpus
somebody correct me if i'm wrong. but i'll try to answer his question..

single coils to me have more high end trebly snap snarl and bite yes i can hear it in them, there seems to be a phenomenon that happens when you hum cancel two signle coils, it take out some of the clarity and snarl..

a humbucker is basically two single coils put together but i think they are wound to negate some of the down sides that come with a tele or mustang arrangement with the neck pickup being reverse? wound so they will cancel the hum when the pickup switch is in the middle postition. And if i'm not mistaken tele's have a electrical part that gives em more high end twang thus the famous tele twang.

ok in my experience witch is limited, a strat using a middle pickup with sucks for distortion it make everything flubby in the base. i hate strats for heavy gain and distortion. but i'm trying to see if i can get my sx strat to be like a mustang.

humbuckers are closely arranged aswell and negate some on what i was talking about earlyer in strats they are better suited for distortion. but again i like the mustang type distortion found and Nirvana's classic album Nevermind.

the distortion in that nirvana album to me is my type of sound and its not easy to create outside of a mustang that i can't afford anyway.

so i'll be buying a reverse would pickup for the neck probably from guitar fetish and some sort of strat set of pickups to see if i can't coax that sound from my new sx 24 inch neck guitar.

so strats suck for high end gain. i've not seen one that works as well as a humbucker in the bridge. in fact for truly high gain there's probably nothing better than a humbucker in the bridge. Everything else is up to your and everyone else's taste in sound

Kurt Cobain modded his mustang to have a humbucker in the bridge position. So unless you put a humbucker in the bridge of your sx strat, you won't get the Nirvana sound.
Humbuckers have a beefier sound which is warmer and when played with distortion sounds heavier.
Where as single coils are lighter and twangier, and in my opinion sound better clean.
It doesn't sound anything like using two singles together if that answers your question.

Your best bed would be to go to your local guitar store and try out some different guitars and get a feel for the sound, i'm sure the sales assistants won't mind and will probably give you some good advice if you are serious about learning and not just in there to muck around.
Or atleast get onto youtube and look up some demos of various guitars.
I love white guitars!
Quote by wesselbindt
Better word: twangy.
And no. Humbuckers don't sound even remotely twangy.
not true at all.
Quote by weezeman
Kurt Cobain modded his mustang to have a humbucker in the bridge position. So unless you put a humbucker in the bridge of your sx strat, you won't get the Nirvana sound.

True. He always had Seymour Duncan JBs in his Strats and Mustangs and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in his '66 Jaguar.

If you want more info on Kurt's gear you can always check the Kurt Cobain Equipment FAQ (Google it).
Quote by TheOpenMind
True. He always had Seymour Duncan JBs in his Strats and Mustangs and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in his '66 Jaguar.

If you want more info on Kurt's gear you can always check the Kurt Cobain Equipment FAQ (Google it).

http://kurtsequipment.com/
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Quote by al112987
not true at all.
Seconded. It's a matter of EQing and woods.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
^Aye, a better generalisation is that high output humbuckers mostly sound arse for cleans.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by TheQuailman
Play a Gretsch and see.

Indeed. And what's in common between Gretsch and Fender?

25.5" scale. One of the most influential factors of a guitar's sound, IMO, that often is forgotten.
Quote by Kurapica
^Aye, a better generalisation is that high output humbuckers mostly sound arse for cleans.
Volume knob, maybe a little bit of flanger, EQ. Why don't we just do away with generalization, ya?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
It depends on the humbucker. No it won't sounds like a single coil but there are some HBs out there with some serious "bite". It isn't just a matter of treble either because the treble on a SD JB is different from the treble on a standard Fender bridge SC. If you want single coil bite and humbucker fatness, check out some P90/soapbar equipped guitars. The most overlooked pickup IMO. Still hums though, and the only reasonably affordable noiseless P90s dont sound right to me.
ah fretz you beat me to it! I was gonna say P90's!
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by wesselbindt
Better word: twangy.
And no. Humbuckers don't sound even remotely twangy.

This.