So I started playing guitar a little over a year ago, and at that point I was just playing acoustic. I've been playing electric for about 6 maybe 7 months now and I enjoy it so much that I feel that its worth putting some amount of money into. I had a Peavey Rockmaster set that had a guitar and amp that I quickly found to be too basic for what I wanted to be doing. I then invested in a Fender fat strat which I basicly fell in love with, but I still have the amp from the old guitar that can't really do anything! It's not very loud and the sound seems to be low quality. I have been reading around many of the other threads but I'm not quite sure that the amps mentioned would be right for me. So what I'm looking for is an amp that has good distortion (I'm into punk rock) AND one that could keep up with a live drummer seeing that one of my buds is picking up the drums again. My budget is relativly low ($200-$300 dollars at most) Any ideas?
The only thing I can really think of is a used Peavey Classic 30. Maybe a Valveking, but if you can find the C30 for that price, I'd get that instead.

You could also look into a used Line 6 Flextone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
stretch the budget a mere 60 bucks and you get the excellent B-52 At112 for 360 bucks.

you won't need another amp FOR A WHILE
Quote by MatrixClaw
The only thing I can really think of is a used Peavey Classic 30. Maybe a Valveking, but if you can find the C30 for that price, I'd get that instead.

You could also look into a used Line 6 Flextone.

+1

If you had to go new, though, you could look into a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75, or a Vox VT30. Any of them will keep up with a drummer, but the 75 will do it better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
+1

If you had to go new, though, you could look into a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75, or a Vox VT30. Any of them will keep up with a drummer, but the 75 will do it better.

Unless his drummer hit pretty soft, neither of the 30W amps will work.

The Vypyr 75 is loud enough, but if you can go used, the ones I mentioned would be a better investment There was actually a Peavey Classic 30 combo on Harmony-Central for sale for $250, not sure if it's gone yet, but I'd definitely go look as soon as possible, that's a steal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless his drummer hit pretty soft, neither of the 30W amps will work.

wat.jpg

I could get over my drummer with my 15w MG... granted, I had to push it to like... 7 or 8, but I'm pretty sure I was heard. The Vypyrs are also supposed to be very loud for their wattage, too.

The Classic 30 will serve you better in the long run though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
wat.jpg

I could get over my drummer with my 15w MG... granted, I had to push it to like... 7 or 8, but I'm pretty sure I was heard. The Vypyrs are also supposed to be very loud for their wattage, too.

Really? I had a Vox AD30VT and with the volume cranked up to max, I couldn't be heard by any drummer I know, in fact, I could only hear myself if I was standing right next to it I also have a 15W Crate that there's no way in hell it could be heard over a drummer.

When playing drums, I can barely even hear someone playing through my Vetta or 6100 until it's over 1/4 up. My friend who plays bass has to turn his 4x10 stack up to over halfway to even be heard through my cymbals, and his amp is rated at 450W. A friend brought over his 5W Blackheart, cranked to the max with a distortion pedal, I couldn't hear it. I'm not even that hard of a hitter either, I mostly play classic rock/blues with people when I'm playing drums, which means I hit as lightly as possible on my set
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
He said an inexpensive amp for a learner. Maybe tubes wouldnt be the best thing? Maybe a cheaper modeller would be better. I'm sorry i can't really offer any advice. I live in aus and the prices and currency are so different
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077