Traded my EHX Small Clone + $100 AU for a HomeBrew Electronics Big D!

Used, but in very good condition. Only been able to try it for a few hours, but so far i love the bluesy overdrives im getting out of this thing.
I got it as i wanted a better OD, as i feel the only letdown with the HT-5 is the blues tones. (I have only recently discovered blues is actually fun to play...)
Its replacing my Digitech Bad Monkey on my (2 pedal) board. Im very happy with my tone at the moment, all i need is new pickups and then i should be set for atleast a month...

Heres what you came for - TEH PICS

Should get clips up tomorrow...i hope.

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
HNP! Looks like a fine thing to me, I'd love to hear the clips!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Sexy rig, HNPD!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Cheers guys.

Yeah, delay is in the loop.

Quote by Danyg
HNPD!!! I had a HBE power screamer at 1 time top notch products!!! How are you liking the repeater?
I'm loving the Nova Repeater. I use it MUCH more than I first expected.

Quote by Danyg
i read it too quickly and misread "Bigger" as something else

HNPD, dawg!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
sweet, i've got one. Mine's pretty bright though, i'm not sure if they're all like that or if my (second-hand) one is slightly faulty.

why'd you get it for blues tones, though? surely an OD would be better for that? Though granted on soft clipping and with the gain down lowish it does a decent low gain tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNPD!

I bet that sounds badass with the Repeater. One of the few delays Id consider for replacing my DD6 (love that pedal despite the hate around here)
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Clip up on profile. Its not very good quality, as its just recorded with a Stealthplug out from the HT-5's emulated output. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. Ive only just started playing a bit of blues, so some advice would be great. I will try and upload more clips soon. (The Big D comes in at 20 seconds, its very bassy at the start, thats the stock Epiphone neck pickup for you )

Dave, isnt the Big D an overdrive AND distortion pedal? Thats what its listed as anyway. Whatever it is, i like it
Would you be able to share some settings? Im not very good at dialing in tones, and this pedal has heaps of options.

Quote by Danyg
Another clip up, any helpful suggestions for either of the new clips would be great.

Heres some gut shots:

Quote by Danyg
I'm really GASing for a TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger. They look sweet.
No comments about the clips?

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ

Dave, isnt the Big D an overdrive AND distortion pedal? Thats what its listed as anyway. Whatever it is, i like it
Would you be able to share some settings? Im not very good at dialing in tones, and this pedal has heaps of options.

yeah, it possibly is, though it strikes me as being more like a distortion than an OD, but there is quite a bit of overlap. it doesn't sound quite as "hard" as a lot of distortions (even on hard clip mode), but it doesn't sound quite as soft as a lot of overdrives either, and doesn't seem to have as much sustain.

I never really fiddle all that much with settings to be honest, generally i always have it set to soft clip (though on mine this means it's very hard to use the "bigger" setting, as it involves a gigantic volume jump), on the first diode, with the gain somewhere between about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and tone set to taste, depending on your pickups, guitar and amp etc.

if you don't currently have a fuzz pedal, the last diode setting (5?) can be fun. but 1, 2, 3, and 4 are pretty similar, with only subtle differences. as i said, i think i prefer the first one, it sounds the most "classic", imo.

as i said, through certain setups i find it very bright indeed, though with others it sounds really nice indeed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 16, 2009,
Yeah, I agree. Diode 1 sounds the beat to me so far. The fuzz type thing sounds pretty good aswell, though I haven't used it that much yet.

Quote by Danyg
yeah, i got a fuzz pedal recently so i never use it now, but i didn't use it much before i got one. But it was handy if you needed a fuzzy tone, and didn't want to run out and buy a fuzz pedal, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhhhhhhh! jealousy hurts.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Ahhhhhhhh! jealousy hurts.

Don't worry, I'm much more jelous of your rig.

Quote by Danyg
Next step: new pickups.

Clips sound decent. Though, on the first one, the second phrase you play is completely out of key.

I like "blues riff" though. Sounds very cool.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
Next step: new pickups.

Clips sound decent. Though, on the first one, the second phrase you play is completely out of key.

I like "blues riff" though. Sounds very cool.

Yeah, im in real need of new pickups. I already have a Tone Zone in the bridge, but im thinking of taking it out, and just buying a new set. Air Norton looks quite good for the neck, not too sure on the bridge yet. Any recommendations?

Yeah, i have no knowledge of theory whatsoever, although im starting to realize how important it is. The clip was mainly guesswork, as i have no clue about what key to play in, and all that stuff. I better start to learn

That blues riff i played is off a dvd called 'Lead Guitar', that ive had for a year, and only bothered to watch last week. Ive actually learned a fair bit about scales in the past few days. Up there with the best $4 ive ever spent

Cheers for the feedback.

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ
I'm really GASing for a TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger. They look sweet.
No comments about the clips?

I didn't look at them yet.
Will do as of now!

And I have a Craving for a Nova Repeater and Nova Reverb myself.