Hello UG. Do you have an exercise for switching from open chords to barre chords cleanly, and switching from one barre shape to another cleanly?
yes I do. it is called practice. Just practice changing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
just pick a song you like, from which you know there are barre and open chords, and just use those randomly to switch around (or according to the song whatever)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Yeah I think learning songs is a better approach. Try playing the chord sequences through first in open then in barre, then mix em up and do different voicings and inversions.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
learn to move economically and work out which fingers need to move and which don`t and any short cuts e.g open chords D to E the 1st finger stays on the third string and moves back 1 fret. E to Em just requires you to lift your 1st finger

with barre chords they are a extension of open chord shapes and when barring you are effectively creating a new nut position (is the simplest way of putting it)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
learn to move economically and work out which fingers need to move and which don`t and any short cuts e.g open chords D to E the 1st finger stays on the third string and moves back 1 fret. E to Em just requires you to lift your 1st finger

with barre chords they are a extension of open chord shapes and when barring you are effectively creating a new nut position (is the simplest way of putting it)

Thanks, this is very helpful .
To those that suggested practicing a song with barre's in it: That's what i've been doing, and it still sounds awful.
That's why it's called practicing

You practice things because you're awful at them, and eventually you get better. Just remember, don't keep trying to play the song at full speed and be patient.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When I play bar chords without switching fast, they sound good. However, if i play a song WITH bar chords and have to switch between them, it sounds crappy. Why? How do i improve this? This bar chord practice is getting really boring.
Quote by Boxxxed
Practice power chords before barre chords

No, don't do that
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by robinlint
When I play bar chords without switching fast, they sound good. However, if i play a song WITH bar chords and have to switch between them, it sounds crappy. Why? How do i improve this? This bar chord practice is getting really boring.

I had the same EXACT problem man. I had no problem playing but when actually playing a song I could barely get 3 notes to ring out right. The only thing I have to tell you is that after maybe a month or so, probably a bit less, I had no problems at all and now I actually prefer to play barre chords over open chords. Once you master barre chords the way you play rhythm guitar, and guitar in general will have changed completely for the better.

Just stick with it man, eventually you will get it just like everything else you've learned on guitar, just if you're anything like me, it will take a bit longer than some other things.
Patience is everything.
Just keep trying and failing the same thing over and over, and you'll start failing less and less.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by thekidkid32
I had the same EXACT problem man. I had no problem playing but when actually playing a song I could barely get 3 notes to ring out right. The only thing I have to tell you is that after maybe a month or so, probably a bit less, I had no problems at all and now I actually prefer to play barre chords over open chords. Once you master barre chords the way you play rhythm guitar, and guitar in general will have changed completely for the better.

Just stick with it man, eventually you will get it just like everything else you've learned on guitar, just if you're anything like me, it will take a bit longer than some other things.

Boy do I need to practice Barre chordsk, I suck at them. Though I am getting better, spose it's just a matter of time. I think my problem, is I need to build up strength in my left hand more, and I think thats where my weak ness lies.
Quote by reaverman
Boy do I need to practice Barre chordsk, I suck at them. Though I am getting better, spose it's just a matter of time. I think my problem, is I need to build up strength in my left hand more, and I think thats where my weak ness lies.

Yea that's all, that muscle isn't really used for much so it takes time to build up. If you have an acoustic definitely practice on that, or something with higher gauge strings. I know my barre chords started improving a lot more once I started playing on my acoustic. Still to this day i have problems every so often with barre chords ringing out perfectly on my acoustic, but once I switch back to electric it's no problem at all, like I said I prefer it.

Another thing that worked for me was making sure that the guitar was almost perfectly horizontal. This allows my wrist to be able to be straight and makes it much easier, for me anyway, to apply pressure to the strings. My old play style had the guitar a little crooked and I remember trying to play a Jack Johnson song and having to stop after a minute or so cause of the pain. Switched the position and didn't have as much of a problem. Worth a try