HEY

So,

For my 18th, my parents were gonna buy me a Jackson RR3 Crimson swirl.

I was woundering wheather the SD Blackouts or EMG 81/85 would be better? and if EMG's which would be the best wat round?

The type of music I play is metal, but would use the guitar for mostly: Rock, Metal, blues, clean stuff, and heavy stuff. I play both lead and rythm.

Scotty

<|M|
Seymour Duncan Black-Outs, no doubt. Also, make sure you get the new upgraded version. The AHB-2.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

U said u play blues rock and clean stuff as well...active pickups are the worst ever for that. THe're only good for metal and metal only.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by 스코티Scotty
blues, rock, and clean if I decide for a little variety

As said before, If you're really going for active PUs, Black-outs are the best choice, but if you really want to play a lot of clean stuff and blues and such. Then I'd advise you to get passive PUs.

I just ordered myself a Seymour Duncan SH-8 for bridge position, which I mostly use for distortion, and a SH-2 for in the bridge position when I'm playing clean stuff or bluesy things.

My Youtube Page

Quote by 스코티Scotty
you can't have 1 active and 1 passive ?

It's possible, but there are several issues which come along.

The primary issue here is, you're getting active PUs for a guitar which was designed with passive PUs in mind, so you're going to have to bring it to a guitar shop to get it rewired a bit (which will cost you a decent amount of money), and afterward you'll have to spend another amount of money on the new pick-ups.

The RR3 Crimson Swirl already comes with 2 pick-ups which are great for what you're going to use them for. The SH-2 Jazz is a great PU for cleans, blues and of course Jazz & rock. The TB-4 has a decent output, is definitely not bad for metal, but can always be replaced by another PU if you find this necessary. (Though I believe Dave Mustaine used to use the same PU, so I doubt the output should be too much of a problem).

The point here is, you are about to spend a lot of money on something you don't actually need. I'd personally stick to the passive PUs and maybe just think of getting a bridge PU with higher output for metal. In this case think in the direction of Seymour Duncan Invader, or a DiMarzio X2N.

My Youtube Page

EMG's for heavy ****. Blackouts are pointless. They're made to be more natural, but they still sound active. Most people prefer an all passive or all active tone. Not anything like a blackout. I thought the Blackout sounded OK at best. If you have a chorus for cleans, EMG's sound awesome on the clean channel. If not, they sound really dry, not that they don't clean up well.

^ you dont have to spend a lot of money to get it rewired. I switched out the pickups myself in my RR5. there's plenty space for a battery.

And I didn't buy my EMG's. I desoldered and disconnected all the wiring a guy came over to trade pickups. He gave me the 81 and 85 and pots and jack, etc. and I paid nothing for the pups. However, yous hould just try those stock pickups first and see how you like them. I didn't like the JB, so I switche it out. Might be a different story for you.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Thanks for that Apsk. Does anyone think that the Line 6 Spider III 120 watt would be good with the RR3 or would something else around £200 - £250 sound better???????????
The Spider III sounds like you're playing in a tin can, I promise. I have one and hate it.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Check out a small tube combo, like the Vox AC4TV, or the Epiphone VJ. Those will both out-tone the spider by far.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
spider sounds good for practice.. If your'e playing by yourself, it's perfectly fine. However, a pickup change most likely won't change the tone the way you would want it. It may get better, but the same crappy spider tone will stay.

Oh yeah. 81 in the bridge and 85 in neck. If you do it the other way around, IMO the 85 sounds better on only the 3 thickest strings, and worse on the three thinner strings. Kind of a compromise. If you do a lot of leads on bridge, 81 is best. 85 in neck is pretty good for leads and rhythm. Great neck pup.

Is the spider the amp you have now? If so, I highly suggest buying a decent tube amp made for metal. Maybe a Mesa. Don't know how the prices are in Europe, but if you translate the budget into US dollars, you can buy a used Mesa combo (F or DC) or a used 5150 combo in the US. Maybe you can buy a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo in the UK because they're made there . That's a fairly good amp for the price if you buy it used.

No problem helping out one of my Korean brethren.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Save the money that you would spen on the spider amp and the money for the p'ups. This leaves you with about £450. This could get you a decent valve amp that would sound great with your guitar and be suitable for gigging.
play your guitar before you're gonna pay to replace anything. who's to say you won't like the stocks enough to play'em until you can really decide whether you want a better amp etc?
------

Shwiggity.
hey peoples,

thanks for that.

1./ The JSN R3 - CS, will be a prezzie so no need to pay =]

2./I will have decsided to just get an amp rather than pick-ups, because I can allways get them later on,

3./ To: apak, I'm english ^^ not korean,

4./ to: -MintSauce-, I would F*ckin' love this guitar, but I've pushed my luck as it is.

I was looking at this bundle:

Marshall MG100DFX + Staff 1.5 head cable + Marshall MG-412A 4"12

for £397 + P+P

would it be worth it?
no, just as bad as the spider. the MG sounds like you plugged into a beehive filled with angry yellowjackets.

you seem to care more about wattage than tone. i suggest the 50w vox valvetronix.
100w is barely louder than 100, but usually alot cheaper.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
yep thats the one.
also, to explain my wattage thing, 5w is half as loud as 50w. 50w is half as loud as 500w.

100w is ~1/8 louder than 50, which only becomes noticeable at very very high volumes (like all the way up)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
goddamnit. Why is your name korean then? Lol..

Anyways, the MG IMO is much worse than the spiders. are you willing to buy used gear? That makes life a lot easier.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
lol, Its cuz I do a korean MA, and yeah I will do used but depends on condition and wheather it's in my home currency = £ lol ^^

I looked at a Messa boogie 5:25 on ebay but it was in a different currencey: *sad face*
If you play mostly leads go for EMGs+18v mod. If you're gonna play a lot of cleans and more rhythm then go with the SDs. I have had both in my guitar, and leads EMGs rule, while for cleans and rhythm SDs sound more natural but I found that you just never get the clarity with SDs that you get with 18v mod EMGs.

Ok... as far as amps please dont get an MG. I dont usually bash equip. but god they (mostly) suck. Look into a used peavey XXX,or something like that (not valveking) . Sick distortion, nice crunch channel and an amazing clean channel. If you have money then check out the line 6 Spider Valves. They have a huge range and they have tube power and a lot better tone than anything else L6 makes.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Used buddy. Trust me. just because somebody bought it, the value decreases by a couple hundred US dollars. Get the new 6505 1x12 combo when it comes out. It's gonna be only 500 bucks new!!! that's a heck of a deal considering peavey is famous for amps that last forever.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Blackheart and Blackstar make small tube amps that go for under $500 new, which is pretty close to what you posted as a basic budget, you should look into them if you want a small tube amp
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by 스코티Scotty
I looked into the peavey XXX, but they don't make them anymore, and I can't find them anywhere

They dont make the 212, but I'm pretty confident that they make the 112 and the head/cab version still. If your looking for a 212, then keep an eye out for a used one or go with the 6505.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by racman92
They dont make the 212, but I'm pretty confident that they make the 112 and the head/cab version still. If your looking for a 212, then keep an eye out for a used one or go with the 6505.

nah they discontinued it because it didn't have too good of a rep and because people didn't like how it looked. They released the 3120 though, which is supposed to be similar in tone and concept.

i mean, they're still around, so if you can find one, jump at it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Peavey Valveking?
Great budget tube amp.
Others are B-52 AT-112, Blackheart Little Giant, Marshall JCM

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Wait a minute...

This is gonna be the real situation:::

I'm gonna be in a metal band that has influences of:

Annihilator, BLS, Metallica, Pantera, BFMV, Slipknot, LOG, e.c.t

What would be a good amp for this style of play at a good price that is GiG proof, that wont cost an arm and a leg???
Line 6 Flextone III. /thread.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.