Im looking to buy a line 6 spider iii hd 150 and was wondering about cabs, origionally i wanted an orange 4x12 but realised they are waaaaay too expensive so thought about the line 6 spider cab to go with the head and i have read good and bad reviews on it so was wondering who could help point me in the right direction
thanks
so you know im in the UK too lol
Last edited by No One911 at Aug 15, 2009,
Don't get the spider, you can get much better for the price.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Also, dont go 4x12 on your obvious budget.

Genre?
Gigging?
Budget?

Etc...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I know the head im getting is the line 6 because it has the variety of tones i like to work with. i generally play metal/rock but i like to play clean stuff too.
i am getting a stack because my band is starting to gig now so i feel i need the loud quality of a stack compared to my Line 6 75w combo
i plan on spending up to around £400 on the cab
Quote by No One911
I know the head im getting is the line 6 because it has the variety of tones i like to work with. i generally play metal/rock but i like to play clean stuff too.
i am getting a stack because my band is starting to gig now so i feel i need the loud quality of a stack compared to my Line 6 75w combo
i plan on spending up to around £400 on the cab

If you buy the Spider head:
1. You won't get that much louder.
2. You won't sound any better.
3. You are wasting your money.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thats fair enough but i prefer the sound of the line 6 to marshall anyway ive played marshall amps and they aren't my personal choice. all im asking is for general reccomendations of cabs because i don't know a lot about them.
Line 6: Spider III 75W Combo BC Rich: WMD - SOB
whats your total budget for head and cab?
would you go used?
would you consider a tube combo?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
total budget ide say is 700 at very most. the new series spider 4 comes out so it knocks the 3's down in price. average the head is around 250 at the moment that ive seen
i would use second hand, have the fbv express for my line 6, for me having the 4 channels and volume pedal is pretty usefull to me so thats partly why im looking at the line 6 heads becausei can use those features. not terribly worried about effects.
and depends on the soudn really, as ive said im quite keen on the sound of the line 6 but open for suggestion
so we have a £700 budget and you want a good clean, OD and crunch channel?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
sounds about right yeah, preferably be able to change channels too but not a requirement
tube combos:
Engl Thunder
Marshall DSL, TSL
Marshall JCM800/900 combo

Flextone III combo's

head and cab's are a little too out your budget i think

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I get confused reading posts like this. Especially the: "but i prefer the sound of the line 6 to marshall anyway ive played marshall amps and they aren't my personal choice."

Can i ask what Marshall you played? Where? and what didn't you like about it. If you played the Mg, then that doesn't count in my oppinion. Especially if your band is starting to gig. Before you rule line 6 the best amp choice in the world, take the time to try out a few of our reccomendations.

You live in the UK, depending on where, i can understand how difficult it can be to find good gear in the local area. But with a bit of searching you'll be able to find something.

Try out some more marshalls (Jcm 800/900. Dsl if you can). Peaveys too (look for used 6505 or 5150 or something.) Pretty much everything you try is going to sound better than your spider.

And for cabs, Orange 2x12. No question about it. Best cab for the price in the UK imo. 4x12 isn't needed on your budget, but then a stack isn't needed on your budget but i'm not going to go say "Don't get a stack" cause it's not my decision.
Ramble.
Sweet.
yeah
+1 to BC_Warlock

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Thanks for the respons guys i appreciate it a lot. i think it was an mg marshall i tried 50 watt
yeah it is really difficult findign places to try good gear as most places have the same stuff. ill look into some of the stuff you guys have suggested and look into it.
yeah i originally wnated an orange cab because i know the quality they produce but were a bit too pricey for me.
like i said will look into it all have a play around with some set ups etc.
any thing about vox? i know they are pretty decent too just dont know all too much
150W is NOT twice as loud as 75W, if you like the spider then you don't need to go out and buy another unless you want a back up. To be honest, if you like your tone I'm not sure why you want to upgrade.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by No One911
Thanks for the respons guys i appreciate it a lot. i think it was an mg marshall i tried 50 watt
yeah it is really difficult findign places to try good gear as most places have the same stuff. ill look into some of the stuff you guys have suggested and look into it.
yeah i originally wnated an orange cab because i know the quality they produce but were a bit too pricey for me.
like i said will look into it all have a play around with some set ups etc.
any thing about vox? i know they are pretty decent too just dont know all too much

Yeh, you've never tried a Marshall amp if you've only ever played an MG (by "Marshall amp" I mean the kind of amp they built their professional reputation with). The MG's are little practice amps for kids (and in the case of the MG stack, wannabes...). Compared to a decent Marshall, the difference is laughable.

You'll have to be a little more specific with the term "vox", they make a lot of stuff.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by No One911
thats fair enough but i prefer the sound of the line 6 to marshall anyway ive played marshall amps and they aren't my personal choice. all im asking is for general reccomendations of cabs because i don't know a lot about them.

I assume that you tried an MG stack.

They both suck extremly hard and you are wasting your money.
fair enough it was a combo. i dont know a lot about marshalls really, and vox heads and stuff, my friend has an AD 30 and its pretty decent.
guessing i need another trip to sounds great lol
try an Engl and you will say F*ck Line6.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
which engl would you reccomend looking at?