Hello Ultimate-Guitar members,

I'm new to the electric guitar. I started playing my first notes on the guitar a month ago and I've already made some progression. I'm learning the guitar without a teacher (so with websites and tabs). I'm also a little bit scared I'm playing the guitar in the wrong position (thumb, right hand, fretting hand, ...)

I'm young and Dutch and my English isn't that good as it should be. Sometimes I wonder what the tutorial websites mean with "Scales". They say every good guitar player needs to learn them and memorize them and practise them each day.

So, I wanna know from you guys what a scale is and how to play them and how many types there are.

Thank-you

-Anton

(P.S. If you're Dutch please tell me, I'll send my emailadress to you so you can explain me in Dutch, it would help alot)
-WingedBull
Scales, in the most general of ways, are groups of notes that sound good together. from them you can build chords and melodies much easier then simply trial and error.
a scale is a group of musical notes collected in ascending and descending order, that provides material for or is used to conveniently represent part or all of a musical work including melody and/or harmony.[1] Scales are ordered in pitch or pitch class, with their ordering providing a measure of musical distance.
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
warning the following is dutch;

kerel ik snap wat je bedoelt, 'scales'' zijn eigelijk toonladder en een toonladder is gewoon een zooi noten bij mekaar die een bepaald muzikaal gevoel geven.

verder kan ik je eigelijk ook niet helpen ik ben er zelf nog niet echt naar aan het kijken al zou ik het wel moeten doen denk ik.

voor elke noot is er wel zo'n ding en dan heb je nog majeur mineur en mineur harmonisch etc

het best is denk ik als je een paar lessen neemt om dat te leren van iemand

succes!
Last edited by wolvenrick at Aug 15, 2009,
To help you understand music better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by wolvenrick
warning the following is dutch;

kerel ik snap wat je bedoelt, 'scales'' zijn eigelijk toonladder en een toonladder is gewoon een zooi noten bij mekaar die een bepaald muzikaal gevoel geven.

verder kan ik je eigelijk ook niet helpen ik ben er zelf nog niet echt naar aan het kijken al zou ik het wel moeten doen denk ik.

voor elke noot is er wel zo'n ding en dan heb je nog majeur mineur en mineur harmonisch etc

het best is denk ik als je een paar lessen neemt om dat te leren van iemand

succes!

He is right, I would like to add;

Scales helpen je met het beter groepen van noten te onthouden.

Het helpt ook bij akkoorden maken en leert je welke noten lekker bij de akkorden passen zodat je makkelijker melodien kan maken.

Het gaat er niet zozeer om dat je de scales uit je hoofd leert, maar dat je scales leert, en dan meteen leert welke akkorden er bij passen.

Zo ontwikkel je in je hoofd alleemaal mogelijkheden om noten, melodieen en akkoorden te gebruiken.

Ik zou begginen met the majeur en mineur toonladder (Major and Minor scale).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
So, which should I learn than? And can I jam after I learned the scales?
-WingedBull