Good day to you all

On to business....Was at the house of the other guitarist in my band yesterday before a gig. He has lying around a Squier telecaster '72 custom. Its the all black one with the two 'duncan designed' humbuckers.

He uses it as a back up sometimes but I've actually never seen it before. Anyways he told me how amazing the neck was and I didn't really believe him, but after playing it....I have to say it is actually one of the best necks I've ever played on and straight away I wanted one.

However, I didn't plug it in or anything and so didn't get to hear the admittedley suspicious sounding 'duncan designed' pickups.

Basic question being - anyone who has one/played one/other squiers - what are the electrics like when amped up? Any problem with buzzing or whatever? Basically - does the sound match the looks and playability - which were amazing. Especially considering they go for around 100-150 quids on ebay....Seems like a cool back up guitar to have at my disposal. My back up at the mo is an Epi Les Paul which needs quite a lot of work on it to bring it up to speed.

Thanks all!
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
Well, I've never actually played one, but I have played another couple of Squiers with Duncan Designed pickups, and they were quite decent sounding. You can always change them anyways, to something fairly cheap and decent, and that'll do the job.

If you really like it, then go ahead and use it as a back up guitar.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
im not sure about the teles but will say the couple i played are definitely good for the price. Obviously you will not be getting a godly guitar....but for the price they sound and feel excellent
Duncan designed pickups are usually better than the normal cheap pickups. I have Duncan Designed humbuckers on my guitar (Ibanez SZ320) and they sound pretty good.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Go back and try it out through an amplifier comparable to your personal one, the same model if possible.

Or the best amp available, Idk which is a better suggestion.

Well all know Squier's reputation, but there is always a chance (even if it's something as low as 0.000001%) that that Tele COULD be a 'godly' guitar.

How was the FEEL of it, though?
Quote by lukeylynch
Go back and try it out through an amplifier comparable to your personal one, the same model if possible.

Or the best amp available, Idk which is a better suggestion.

Well all know Squier's reputation, but there is always a chance (even if it's something as low as 0.000001%) that that Tele COULD be a 'godly' guitar.

How was the FEEL of it, though?

definitely have it right...highly unlikely it will be godly, but i guess there always is that chance it could be.....its all a matter of opinion....I'd go with what luke is saying here
With a Squier, in my experience, you have to accept that there is a wide variance in the quality and playability. For that reason I'd always advise playing it before parting with cash. Good ones will rival MIM and MIA Fenders, but bad ones are pretty bad indeed. Electrics seem serviceable but when you need that bit extra at a gig, you'd want to have better than stock pups, tuners etc. Find a nice one and bring it up to a good standard and you may save a bit overall. Especially with the price of MIA's in Europe.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i've got a squier strat "made by fender", well it's my dad's one... and to tell the truth, it's a really good guitar, when you look at its price... The're 3 single pickups, and they're good enough...
The luthery isn't so good, though.... But it does its job, I swear it =) !
like anything you get good ones and complete duds!

Ive played some cool ones and iv'e played some that are so bad i wouldnt even let the pooch play chew on it...

Play em, if the feel and sound is right you'll know, that stupid grin pops up on your mug that you justm cant help. Thats how I choose guitars
I have a Squier Telecaster, but I put Seymour Duncans 59T in the neck and Little 59T in the bridge. I just use it for practice. For me it's excellent. It only cost me a few hundred bucks including the pick-ups. I dare to guess that some tone rangers might not be overly impressed with the sound.
i think the seymour duncan pickups are better personally!

love the neck though and i have owned one for ages now!

the electrics are good, especially for the price but when it costs so little you have to realise that quite a few aspects of the guitar feel cheep! tuners aren't too good and the 3 way switch broke after a few years so i couldn't play the bridge pickup! but all fixable and i really do like that guitar!

(and defo better than an Epi LP in my opinion )
Last edited by Mini-Jimmy-Page at Aug 15, 2009,
Some of the Squier Teles are consistently good, some are consistently awful, some are mostly awful with the occasional good one popping up.

By the way, there is no 'Squier Telecaster '72 Custom'. I believe the one you're describing ('all black with Duncan Designed pickups') is the Vintage Modified Custom II with P-90s. There's also the Vintage Modified Custom with two regular generic Squier humbuckers (not Duncan Designed).

Anyway, the necks on those are made to the same dimensions as the Fender equivalents. There's no particular reason to think they're better than other necks, it's a very generic profile. As I said, the much better Fenders will have the same profile.

Also, those Vintage Modified Custom/II Teles have agathis bodies - not good cuts of agathis either, it'll be the usual cheap multi-ply stuff. If you're lucky you might find one you could pass off as an average basswood body, but that's not exactly ideal anyway.

Generally speaking, the only Squier Tele that is consistently worth bothering with is the Classic Vibe Tele, but that's a pine body (great for some, horrible to others) and double singlecoil, usual Tele configuration.

My advice would be to maybe shop around for the Squier VM Custom II and hope you find one of the rare good ones, but overall bank on saving your money up and getting the Fender '72 Tele Deluxe, or if you really want to keep that P-90 tone then the Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe w/ Black Dove pickups. They'll be much, much better guitars, last you a lot longer, sound better and feel the same if not better. For reference there are a few major bands in the charts right now who have recorded albums using the current Mexican-made Fender '72 Tele Deluxe, that's how good it'll hold up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I own one.
I love it. My girlfriend gave it to me for my 18th and it was my only guitar untill i turned 20. I still use it quite frequently. I replaced the neck on mine with an mia strat neck (for that fender 72 tele custom look) and was pretty disappointed that it didnt feel any better. (Looks awesome though) the pickups are good but not duncan designed. They got me through my metal stage and they sound great for most styles. Not muddy either. The agathis body wasnt a problem for me. The tone is fine. Maybe a little heavy though. I would never sell this guitar.
Quote by touch_of_autumn
I own one.
I love it. My girlfriend gave it to me for my 18th and it was my only guitar untill i turned 20. I still use it quite frequently. I replaced the neck on mine with an mia strat neck (for that fender 72 tele custom look) and was pretty disappointed that it didnt feel any better. (Looks awesome though) the pickups are good but not duncan designed. They got me through my metal stage and they sound great for most styles. Not muddy either. The agathis body wasnt a problem for me. The tone is fine. Maybe a little heavy though. I would never sell this guitar.

Finally not another tonewood snob, I was getting sick of them on here.
Thanks all!
Some great advice. I reckon I'll play it at the next practice through my set up and see what's what.

After that I'll decide on what to do ; either pick up a cheap as chips squier one from somewhere and maybe do a couple of mods or save up for a bit for the fender '72.

Thanks again!
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
Quote by Mini-Jimmy-Page
don't get ANY squire!!

the VM squires good, but affinity or bullet series are CRAP!

For you

It's just luck of the draw, some squier affinities are horrible and some are good.
Quote by darkcheef
Finally not another tonewood snob, I was getting sick of them on here.
That's not even how the term tonewood is used. Christ. Save 'tonewood' for when we're talking about acoustics, okay?

Quote by Mini-Jimmy-Page
don't get ANY squire!!

the VM squires good, but affinity or bullet series are CRAP!
Inocrrect: the Vintage Modified series are also terrilbe. The Classic Vibes are the only ones really consistently worth bothering with.

That said, the Affinity can be slightly better/worse depending on where you live. They're made differently for different regions: in the USA they have alder bodies, Canada gets a 50/50 pot luck mix of alder bodies and agathis bodies, and Europe gets agathis bodies in our Affinity models.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Squier 51 is a pretty popular tele iirc.

I'm sure the classic vibe tele is pretty good too.

I don't have a really detailed opinion though, i'm not a fan of telecasters and I haven't played them extensively.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM900 100w w/1960 cab
Monster Effects: Mastortion user!
Quote by Elvendar
The Squier 51 is a pretty popular tele iirc.
That's funny, because the Squier '51 isn't a Telecaster, nor do they make it anymore.
i have played a squire with duncan designed pickups this had a thru neck and no laminating/plastic over the finish but anyway it was truly AMAZING!!! i would buy it it sounded perfect plugged in and acoustically the clean was so clear and the distortion was awsome. But i dont know if were talking about the same guitar it was one that didnt have a pickguard.
I like Squier Teles, they are decent axes for the price, a few upgrades and it'll be a real player. I really like the '51 because it is unique and actually a decent guitar stock, and the '51 is based on the 50s P Bass with the single coil pickup. I say go for it dude
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
One thing to remember is....its HEAVY! Its alot heavier then the average Fender. Thats for sure. The pickups are... well I'd give them a meh to be honest but thats just me. I think its really good overall though.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
i have a squier tele...
its an affinity one and i love it , im thinking about changing the pick-ups and then i might use it over my yamaha pacifica band practise ! ! ! !

they r very nice guitars, i find the neck is very good, i must say mate please do try squiers ive never played a squier strat but not tried a bad squier tele so far i play it through a roland cube 30 and have played it in my friends mesa-boogie and it is a very good guitar

gear
Yamaha Pacifica 612v
Squier Tele
Roland Cube 30x
Freshman Acoustic
I just bought one, and it's a pretty nice guitar!! I have the "Vintage Modified SH" model. The neck is VERY comfortable and slim. Very well built too. I can't say anything for the stock bridge pup, when I bought it there was already a Seymour Hot rail in it. Pretty sick pickup! Neck is pretty warm and bassy, but no TOO much bassy. I'll maybe change it for a more twangy pickup some day, it will add to it's already good versatility. Overall, I LOVE my squier tele!!
Distortion-Head: Eat Music, SH*T MUSIC!!
this tele is actually really nice. u can get some really good sounds out of it. i like the p90 version too
Quote by MrFlibble
Some of the Squier Teles are consistently good, some are consistently awful, some are mostly awful with the occasional good one popping up.

By the way, there is no 'Squier Telecaster '72 Custom'. I believe the one you're describing ('all black with Duncan Designed pickups') is the Vintage Modified Custom II with P-90s. There's also the Vintage Modified Custom with two regular generic Squier humbuckers (not Duncan Designed).

Anyway, the necks on those are made to the same dimensions as the Fender equivalents. There's no particular reason to think they're better than other necks, it's a very generic profile. As I said, the much better Fenders will have the same profile.

Also, those Vintage Modified Custom/II Teles have agathis bodies - not good cuts of agathis either, it'll be the usual cheap multi-ply stuff. If you're lucky you might find one you could pass off as an average basswood body, but that's not exactly ideal anyway.

Generally speaking, the only Squier Tele that is consistently worth bothering with is the Classic Vibe Tele, but that's a pine body (great for some, horrible to others) and double singlecoil, usual Tele configuration.

My advice would be to maybe shop around for the Squier VM Custom II and hope you find one of the rare good ones, but overall bank on saving your money up and getting the Fender '72 Tele Deluxe, or if you really want to keep that P-90 tone then the Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe w/ Black Dove pickups. They'll be much, much better guitars, last you a lot longer, sound better and feel the same if not better. For reference there are a few major bands in the charts right now who have recorded albums using the current Mexican-made Fender '72 Tele Deluxe, that's how good it'll hold up.

+1.
But, it's MrFlibble. How can you not agree with him?

And yeah, I recommend just buying the Fender equivalent - which, by the way, are superb!
The Fender '72 Tele Deluxe is a great instrument - the MIM one are used [stock] by bands such as Paramore and Snow Patrol [as MrFlibble said].
The other varients [Fender '72 Tele Custom, etc] are also in the same league, just different pickup configuration.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO