(Invalid img)

Music legend Bob Dylan was stopped yesterday by a police officer who did not recognise him and ordered him to get ID.

Officers were alerted after Dylan, 68, was spotted "acting suspiciously" while taking an afternoon stroll.

A 22-year-old patrolwoman demanded to see his papers.

Dylan gave her his name but it did not strike a chord and she ordered him into her car.

The star, who sang "How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown?", was then driven to his hotel and told to produce his documents.

He had been stopped after residents in the seaside town of Long Branch reported an eccentric-looking "old scruffy man who was acting suspiciously".

The officer did not realise she was dropping a huge clanger until she radioed colleagues and gave her captive's name.

Officer Craig Spencer said: "When she called us to check who Bob Dylan was I admit we all fell about laughing.

"The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums but unfortunately she doesn't know what vinyl is either.

Advertisement - article continues below »

"I'd have been demanding his autograph not his photo ID.

"Dylan was walking in the Latin area and the residents felt he didn't fit in. Let's just say he looked eccentric.

"They said there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously.

"The woman officer we sent is 22 and unfortunately she had no idea who Bob Dylan was. He was on a walkabout but she wasn't entirely convinced of his innocence.

"She took him back to the hotel to check his papers."

The folk, country and rock legend had been in town for a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp.

Dylan has often preferred going unrecognised. He once told an interviewer: "Being noticed is a burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So I disappear a lot."

In 1991 he was filmed at a bus stop in Belfast after shunning his chauffeur-driven car. In the words of one of his songs, he could have told the young woman officer: "It ain't me you're looking for, babe."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/15/bob-dylan-he-s-like-a-complete-unknown-115875-21598044/

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090815/ten-police-fail-to-recognise-bob-dylan-5f8abb3.html
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
"did not strike a chord" just me that finds that funny? oh ok
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
DAMN old scruffy men!!
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Yeah Bob should watch out, don't want to get yourself crucified.

Quote by Venice King
"did not strike a chord" just me that finds that funny? oh ok

It was so intentional that it wasn't funny.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
To be honest, I probably wouldn't recognise Bob Dylan if I saw him, but when you heard the name, surely alarm bells would be going off at that point. Funny story anyway.
haha that's awesome. Everyone should recognise the name Bob Dylan, but maybe he told her his real name.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Kids these days with their not knowing who Bob Dylan is...

I'm sure that there's quite a few well known people who I wouldn't recognise or know of.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Who the hell would actually recognise 'Robert Zimmerman'?

Assuming he told her his real name of course
How is being scruffy and walking about 'suspicious'? What happens if he didn't have papers? Would she shower him and buy him a suit?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Oh Sh*t, I'm in trouble if scruffy old men get hauled for nothing. (just as well I got the dirt on the local police chief.)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Ur all $h1t

"The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums but unfortunately she doesn't know what vinyl is either.

so if she recoignised him, he wouldnt have been arrested?

wierd
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by ihavenoname93
so if she recoignised him, he wouldnt have been arrested?

wierd

Obviously not because she would have known that Bob Dylan isn't a vagrant.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I thought almost everybody knew the name Bob Dylan. That officer was kind of thick, not knowing who he is. 22 years old, and doesn't know Dylan? Hmmm.

Quote by JDbbx
I can just image the reaction while he's just standing there mumbling incoherently.
"mumble mumble heaven's door.... mumble mumble johnny's... basement... mumble... cookin' up the medicine... mumble mumble... just like a woman"

The mental image is hilarious
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Cool story, Bob.

No, seriously, it was a cool story.

Wait... Bob who?

/threecrapjokesinonepost
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.
She just wanted his autograph by getting him to sign his release papers and not all uncouth on the street. She knew all along, guys.

EDIT: THAT's what Bob Dylan looks like now? I didn't know he was that old.
Last edited by MRavioli at Aug 15, 2009,
Wow, people reported to the police about an old scruffy man acting 'suspicious'... and the world wonders why police spend most of their time doing useless tasks rather than actually responding to real crimes quickly.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Sounds like a re-envisioning of Rambo:First Blood, but less awesome.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by Nietsche
Who the hell would actually recognise 'Robert Zimmerman'?

Assuming he told her his real name of course

I'm pretty sure his real name is "Bob Dylan" now...just so you know...
"The woman officer we sent is 22 and unfortunately she had no idea who Bob Dylan was. He was on a walkabout but she wasn't entirely convinced of his innocence."

That's not a very good excuse. I'm 17, and I've known who Bob Dylan is for quite some time, at least as long as I remember. Unless he uses his birth name, in which case I probably wouldn't have known either.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

I wouldn't have recognised him, but after hearing his name I would have been 'oh ****'.

But to not know what a vinyl is? How do these people get into the police force?
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Of course the dumb bitch never heard of him. If it had been some stupid famous rapper or something, I'll bet she would have known who it was.
I've never taken the time to actually listen to any Dylan (I really need to, the few snippets I've heard are nice.) but I'd even be able to tell if he gave me his birth-name. I'm 16 too :-/
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I've never taken the time to actually listen to any Dylan (I really need to, the few snippets I've heard are nice.) but I'd even be able to tell if he gave me his birth-name. I'm 16 too :-/

Yes, you do need to listen to Dylan. A ledgend. Hilarious article hahaha how can you not know the name bob dylan?
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed