So i've been practicing these (can't get em for the life of me)

I managed to get a few but then i noticed i was holding the pick on a "\"sorta angle and hitting it with the edge of the pick not the flat part

Is that the correct way? (I'm still hitting the string with my thumb) just the pick is on a \ angle
Yeah, its okay. Just practice, it will get better
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
You have to hold the pick at an angle. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hit it with your thumb fast enough.
Holding the pick on a slight angle will probably have made you're thumb strike the string a fraction of a second sooner, making all the difference.

However, there is no right or wrong way of doing anything if you get the desired result in the end. My advice would be to try and not 'define' your technique as such as it seems that you're over analyzing things.

Just keep on practicing and it wll happen naturally. I feel that if you're trying purposly to move from your normally picking position to a new 'angled' one everytime you attempt a PH then it's gonna hinder what you're doing. Just try to be as natural as possible with it and if you get into the habit of striking on a angle naturally, then so be it. Just don't try to force it.
Quote by KreatorRage
You have to hold the pick at an angle. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hit it with your thumb fast enough.

You choke up more on the pic so there's only the smallest amount of pic showing below your thumb. Then you dig into the strings (if you know what I'm trying to say)
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
You choke up more on the pic so there's only the smallest amount of pic showing below your thumb. Then you dig into the strings (if you know what I'm trying to say)

+1

Forgot to mention this. Having a really small amount of the pick showing is a must.
Okay, this is gonna be hell but I'm gonna try to explain how I learned it...

(takes a dep breath)

you have to hold it at an angle yes, but that's for people with pinch harmonic experience. For instance: here's how most of us hold a guitar pick >

http://tomhess.net/files/images/FAQ/Right_hand_1.jpg

Notice how the pick stands diagonally as it hits the strings. Now if you want to make it easier to hit a pinch harmonic make sure your pick runs "parallel" with your strings, kinda like this:

http://f-guitar.com/gPics/gLesson2/rHandPutting.JPG

(only straighter)

Now that's just to make things easier. Practice that until you start hitting them more frequently

Now here's the catch: once you get better you'll probably want to learn how to hit a pinch harmonic without having to reposition your thumb in order for it to get closer to the edge of your pick. To achieve that goal you will have to hold your pick at an angle, but not like in the first picture I showed you > instead rotate your wrist as if you're trying to get the knuckle of your thumb closer to the surface of your guitar (and your pinky further away).

Now try hitting the strings. You're still creating that pinch harmonics with the edge of your thumb but for advanced players the difference between a normal note and a pinch harmonic is just a small inclination of the wrist...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Bleedthetruth
+1

Forgot to mention this. Having a really small amount of the pick showing is a must.

Don't really have to use less because i choke my pick off alot already i find it's easier for alt picking

Any other tips?

I'm starting to get it sorta, they're pretty annoying >_<
just keep working at it and eventually you will find a technique that works for you. it took me a long time also and eventually while messing with it something just hit me and i got it
It's a complicated thing. I couldn't get it by doing what everyone else said; I just kept trying until I learned how to.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Yeah, all of these people are right, it just takes practice and getting used to, and holding it at an angle is alright, thats how I do them
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
I'm sorry, this isn't gonna be much help, I'll tell you that right now.

Pinch harmonics and Artificial harmonics are 2 different things. They use the same concept, but aren't the same.

Artificial harmonics, which you are thinking of, uses the pick, which you twist slightly and make your thumb skim the string, creating a harmonic.

Pinch Harmonics are when you have a note, or possibly a chord, and you pinch either 5,7, or 12 frets up from it, creating a different harmonic. This uses your fingers, with your index(Usually) 5,7,12 frets up from whatever fret you're holding, and you use your thumb to pinch it.

Sorry, This just gets on my nerves lately. I Wish i could help. Actually, I think I might've?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
So far the only ones i've been able to do are weak and don't sound very loud

I'm guessing they'll get louder and better the more i practice? or am i doing something wrong
Quote by BoL7z
So far the only ones i've been able to do are weak and don't sound very loud

I'm guessing they'll get louder and better the more i practice? or am i doing something wrong

It takes practice. Just keep playing and you'll get better. You cab play artificial harmonics on any setup but some amps and some pickups are better at bringing them out.

What's your setup?

EDIT: I pick a little further toward the neck too. And this is why I like top mounted Floyds and NOOOO middle pickup. (Like a Gibson or a two humbucker Strat. Lots of room to play!)
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 15, 2009,
In the words of Justin Sandercoe.
"If it sounds good, it is good"

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Angus_Junior35
I'm sorry, this isn't gonna be much help, I'll tell you that right now.

Pinch harmonics and Artificial harmonics are 2 different things. They use the same concept, but aren't the same.

Artificial harmonics, which you are thinking of, uses the pick, which you twist slightly and make your thumb skim the string, creating a harmonic.

Pinch Harmonics are when you have a note, or possibly a chord, and you pinch either 5,7, or 12 frets up from it, creating a different harmonic. This uses your fingers, with your index(Usually) 5,7,12 frets up from whatever fret you're holding, and you use your thumb to pinch it.

Sorry, This just gets on my nerves lately. I Wish i could help. Actually, I think I might've?

I'm pretty sure those are called tap harmonics.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Unless I misread something, I noticed one thing wasn't said that helped me SO much in getting my pinch harmonics to work. Once you've mastered the technique, and I'm gonna say this loudly so plug your ears, YOU HAVE TO FIND WHERE THEY ARE!

I was practicing one day and I asked my friend (who is an expert guitarist) some tips on pinch harmonics and he told me to move around on the string and find where you have to hit it. It's different for each guitar.

i.e. Say your playing someone elses guitar and you hit a screeching pinch harmonic on the low E string right inbetween the pickups. Then you go home and try to hit it at the same spot and it doesn't work. It's because each guitar (and string) has a different position for the pinch harmonic. Make sense?

Hope this helped!
What he means is that on your right hand there are some spots from which you don't get a harmonic but instead a dead note...Just keep hitting along the lenght of the string(end of fretboard to bridge) to find them and avoid them.
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
I've been working on them for roughly 5-6 months now, I can get them out, but I still have trouble. Honestly, I did a pup swap in my bridge (from DD to lace sensor) and they came out much clearer, with a better sustain. Some pups just can't handle them.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)