Chances are that more than a few of us here are either stuck in pretty crappy jobs or have experience of having had one.

So give me some sympathy for where I work...the local council. Now at any time this isn't the worlds best job but following the MP's expenses row its become hell on earth. People either assume that I'm claiming expenses, killing babies or that I'm wasting tax payers money. Many of the people who make the third claim don't see the irony in that they don't even pay taxes and have been on disability benefits for the past 5 years with "stress".

Essentially to most people I'm like this

But anyway today I may have lost my rag a wee bit. I was handing out electoral registration documents. which you need to fill in, in order to vote and as I was just about to finish one estate I hear someone yelling out behind me. Picture the scene if you will

ENTER- WOMAN IN BRIGHT PINK DRESSING GOWN (at 3pm!) COMPLETE WITH CIGARETTE DANGLING ON LIPS.

Woman- Ere! wots all this then?
Me- Electoral registration documents miss. See it says there on the envelope
Woman- Well I don wannit. I dun it last year
Me- Okay but we need to keep the register up to date so that we know where the registered voters are living. Its to cut down on electoral fraud.
Woman- But I done it last year and I ain't moved. Why are they wastin my taxes eh!!!
Me- Yes but we don't know that your still living there. Its like a census or a tax form. It needs to be kept up to date.
Woman- tax form?
Me- well yes it....never mind. Anyway I need you to fill it in and post it back.
Woman *whips out mobile phone and rings significant other and starts insulting me as though I'm not even there.*
Me- *looking around admiring peoples garden decorations of CD's hanging from trees and dog turds littering the grass.*
Woman- Oy are you listening or are you looking at peoples gardens
Me- I'm looking at peoples gardens

-The look of shock was priceless. You see people like this assume that since I work for the council I have to be nice to them, but since I'm a casual worker I don't. And since I have no I.D. on me they can't even report me.

Woman- Wots your name
Me- Winston Smith
Woman- *obliviously* wots your boss called
Me- O'Brien
Woman- Wots his first name
Me- I don't know, Orwell never told me.
Woman- ?
Me- Anyway either fill it out or don't vote. I really don't give a toss.

It was a small victory but it made me smile. Any of you guys had a similar experience with a member of the public or a co-worker?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Aug 15, 2009,
Nice job

I dont have any of my own stories, because whenever I have a battle of wits like that, its always a day later when i think of something extremely clever i could/should have said. Then i'm always like "goddamnit, why didn't i think of that before?"
Quote by wiggy1988

Woman- Wots his first name
Me- I don't know, Orwell never told me.
Woman- ?

Well, she got told.
Nice going.
Quote by One on Sunday
Nice job

I dont have any of my own stories, because whenever I have a battle of wits like that, its always a day later when i think of something extremely clever i could/should have said. Then i'm always like "goddamnit, why didn't i think of that before?"

I hate it when that happens. The French call it Espirit d'escalie (the wit of the staircase) when you think of a brilliant come back as your walking away.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Voting in England is ****ing pointless anyway, look at the government now. Did my vote do JACK **** on that?

I think not.

You sir, deserve all you get.
Recently some one scrawlyed 'Cunts' on the front door of my town's council buildings...
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Good stuff man.

I don't get the pleasure of speaking my mind to the customers i deal with.
I just want to tell them "didn't you read your goddamn contract." And "well they are wrong and i don't care what they told you, they only told you that to get the sell anyways and you fell for it."
Last edited by epic7734 at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Anthony1991
Voting in England is ****ing pointless anyway, look at the government now. Did my vote do JACK **** on that?

I think not.

Your the problem with democracy today. All you do is moan and groan without actually attempting to do anything about it.

Your exactly the kind of moron I deal with every day.

You got a problem?

-Lobby your local MP
-Contact the local council and bring the issue to their attention
-Stand in a local election

But don't just sit there and declare democracy useless, simply because you can't be arsed to try and make a difference
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I used to work at the great McSticks... Horrible place. I was the presenter (I handed out the food through the drive thru)

Asshole customerid you make it with no onions like I asked?
Me:Sir I didn't make it, I'm just handing it out, but the reciept says that it was no onions so I assure you there are no onions on your burger
Asshole customer: Well you're damn right, if there are any I'm coming in and kicking your ass
Me: Sir what would that prove, I did not touch your food, I'm just giving it to you, if you've got a concern then take it up with the cooks or my manager
Asshole customer: Fine then, I will get your manager
Manager: Can I help you?
Asshole customer: Yes you can, your stupid teenage dumbass here is telling me there's no onions on my burger
Manager: Well, are there onions on your burger?
*opens up his meal, doesn't see onions, looks at the manager*
Manager: Get the fuck out of here, you're wasting my time.

Sadly, a true story...
Quote by Anthony1991

I think not.

Having people who think like you is what's wrong with voting. If nobody did anything, nothing will be done.

And blaming it on somebody who simply works at the local council? Why don't you do something instead of complaining and blaming everybody else?

If you must complain, do it to your regional council or member of parliament. Complaining on the Internet gets you nowhere... but I guess it is far easier than writing an intelligent letter to somebody who might even try to get something done.

Edit: I worked at an office at a hospital once for a pretty short time, and the highlight of the whole experience was when a 93 year-old woman started yelling at one of the other people working at the office, thinking he was in charge (he was 16 at the time and had no idea what to do).

Oh, and then I had to call a person reminding them of their appointment the following Monday. I call her, the person picks up, and I say, "Good morning this is blah blah blah... I would like to remind you of an appointment you have with the hospital on Monday at 9 in the morning." She had no idea what I was saying and asked me to repeat it. I slowly repeated myself, saying every word as clearly as possible. She still had no idea what I was saying. The fact that my pronunciation of words is American rather than British should not hinder my communication of simple words such as "Monday" and "Appointment," but I guess it somehow did. I repeated myself saying, "MonDAY... apPOINTment... 9 AM." To my ears (and to those of everybody else in the area) I was saying everything clearly, but she finally gave up and hung up.

I'm still not sure what was happening, because she was clearly not deaf either.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by wizards?
I used to work at the great McSticks... Horrible place. I was the presenter (I handed out the food through the drive thru)

Asshole customerid you make it with no onions like I asked?
Me:Sir I didn't make it, I'm just handing it out, but the reciept says that it was no onions so I assure you there are no onions on your burger
Asshole customer: Well you're damn right, if there are any I'm coming in and kicking your ass
Me: Sir what would that prove, I did not touch your food, I'm just giving it to you, if you've got a concern then take it up with the cooks or my manager
Asshole customer: Fine then, I will get your manager
Manager: Can I help you?
Asshole customer: Yes you can, your stupid teenage dumbass here is telling me there's no onions on my burger
Manager: Well, are there onions on your burger?
*opens up his meal, doesn't see onions, looks at the manager*
Manager: Get the fuck out of here, you're wasting my time.

Sadly, a true story...

priceless.

Also reminds me of when I worked in a kitchen

Customer- I'd like the apple crumble please.
Waitress- Okay, no problem

5 mins later

Waitress- Here you go.
Customer- Thank you...oh...what are these?
Waitress- Bits of apple
Customer- You didn't tell me it came with apple!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
well done TS, well done
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!

Well played wiggy!

At my job in the newsagents, we get a decent amount of people under 18 trying to buy cigarettes or people trying to buy lottery tickets when we've turned the machine off to try cash up a bit early. Whenever I ask for I.D. or tell them "sorry, the lottery's off" I get abuse for it and it gets quite good at times.

I remember once, there was a guy came in asking for cigarettes who looked about 16/17. So I asked for I.D. and starts swearing his head off at me and telling me how he was born and bred in this town. So I turn around and ask him how that makes him 18, and he storms out f'ing and blinding at me for not serving him.

Kicker is, I'm not even old enough to buy cigarettes yet! Ha.