So i was jamming over a pop song using major pentatonics but it sounded bad. I realise the pentatonic scale has notes outwith the key, but are there any rules regarding when you can and cant use it (for example depending on the chords in the song perhaps?).
Well you can't use the major pentatonic scale over a minor progression, that's a start.

If you wrote down the actual progression that would help us give you more detailed advice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The traditional major and minor pentatonic scales do not have notes outside their parent key. Are you sure you were in the right key?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the song wasn't in the key that the TS thought it was
Quote by Serg1
So i was jamming over a pop song using major pentatonics but it sounded bad. I realise the pentatonic scale has notes outwith the key, but are there any rules regarding when you can and cant use it (for example depending on the chords in the song perhaps?).

Then you were using the wrong scale - you need to pick the scale that fits the key of the music.

You can actually use the minor pentatonic over a major progression, that's a commonly used trick in rock and blues music, but again the key needs to match.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com