I read a thing on here recently that covered "anchoring." the guy made it sound like it was a guitar sin to anchor. but i do it occasionaly and do not suffer any of the "symptoms" that he mentioned. sore wrist, muted strings.... It actually works better for me because i have a very unstable hand. so i am wondering if i should stop or keep on doing it.
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
If its comfortable and you can still play good while anchoring, do it. I anchor.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Remember: John Petrucci anchors... :p

Honestly man you should do whatever feels comfortable for you. If it gets **** done then...you're golden.
anchoring is most usefull when playing arpeggios

but for rhythm playing and other forms of playing it would be better to not imo
I've never been there, but I hear it gets pretty damn chilly!

It's all down to preference.
I anchor sometimes, my teacher tried to break the habit and says that eventually it will prevent me from playing other things correctly, but I can't seem to stop. Like filthyboy said its mostly for arpeggios and riffs that require really accurate picking.
Most people anchor. If you don't, you can actually pick faster. Try playing a solo without anchoring. You'll see what I mean. It is very comfortable to anchor though. It's supposed to be improper, but it's not like in the Bible of guitar rules.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I try not to because it limits your range of motion, and can eventually cause serious problems to your wrist.
Where's Waldo?

yay
Quote by filthylittleboy
anchoring is most usefull when playing arpeggios

but for rhythm playing and other forms of playing it would be better to not imo

There are other forms of playing besides arpeggios? I've been misinformed, AAAAAAAARGH, my life is over!!!!
So if you have your hand on your bridge, it prevents rhythm playing and other forms of playing like?

Open jangly chords, hell yeah, swing the arm. Quick intricate riffs? How would that be done? Is hovering really that amazing by placing no unwelcomed tension in the shoulder... no stiffening whatsoever? So not even your elbow or forearm is on the guitar? That might be considered anchoring by the snobs, so how the hell do you play exactly?
Quote by evolucian
There are other forms of playing besides arpeggios? I've been misinformed, AAAAAAAARGH, my life is over!!!!
So if you have your hand on your bridge, it prevents rhythm playing and other forms of playing like?

Open jangly chords, hell yeah, swing the arm. Quick intricate riffs? How would that be done? Is hovering really that amazing by placing no unwelcomed tension in the shoulder... no stiffening whatsoever? So not even your elbow or forearm is on the guitar? That might be considered anchoring by the snobs, so how the hell do you play exactly?

Actually, you're not completely stiff. Part of your arm is still resting on the guitar so your wrist dangles freely over the strings. It isn't considered anchoring then because your wrist's range of motion isn't being hindered.
Quote by SLCdragons102
I try not to because it limits your range of motion, and can eventually cause serious problems to your wrist.

this.

although i dont "try not to", i just dont.

and just because some famous people do it, that doesn't mean you should too.

Edit: *reported* because every aspect of anchoring has been covered before.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 15, 2009,
^ But if you are comfortable when playing like that, why not?

^^"Actually, you're not completely stiff." Not completely but in that reply it sounds like there is stiffness. From the sound of it, it must affect the shoulder, either immediately or over a prolonged period.

I can happily say I have a limb on the guitar, I play in two positions mostly.... one over the neck pickup, and two being between the bridge and middle when palm muting or resting on the bridge. No pain whatsoever. When fingerpicking I usually anchor with my ring finger on the body if I plan on only using three fingers (which is mostly for country runs or tremolo {seeing as I can't do the classical tremolo to save my life})

^For reporting, sis, shame on you... you may as well go through the forum and report on every repeated question there is.... especially the modes and scale suggestion questions. Go make yourself heard man, seems you want a bunny award or something
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 15, 2009,
Anchoring = bad. It may seem comfortable and it makes you more accurate but over time it can lead to serious health problems like carpel tunnel syndrome. And if you get that, you will never be able to play without pain.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Morello Wannabe
I read a thing on here recently that covered "anchoring." the guy made it sound like it was a guitar sin to anchor. but i do it occasionaly and do not suffer any of the "symptoms" that he mentioned.

Symptoms.

Alot of ppl only talk about strains and pains. But really its more to do with learning arm control.

You want to anchor, go ahead, but do you feel you are learning arm control as efficiently as possible? If you are anchoring your not learning arm control. Good arm control does not require any reference points.

So forget about injuries for a bit and think about arm control. Then make your decision.
Quote by evolucian
^ But if you are comfortable when playing like that, why not?

^^"Actually, you're not completely stiff." Not completely but in that reply it sounds like there is stiffness. From the sound of it, it must affect the shoulder, either immediately or over a prolonged period.

I can happily say I have a limb on the guitar, I play in two positions mostly.... one over the neck pickup, and two being between the bridge and middle when palm muting or resting on the bridge. No pain whatsoever. When fingerpicking I usually anchor with my ring finger on the body if I plan on only using three fingers (which is mostly for country runs or tremolo {seeing as I can't do the classical tremolo to save my life})

^For reporting, sis, shame on you... you may as well go through the forum and report on every repeated question there is.... especially the modes and scale suggestion questions. Go make yourself heard man, seems you want a bunny award or something

i see you've been playing for 15 years, and you say you are comfortable...

its just that every time ive seen someone anchor and they try something moderately fast, i can see them physically straining.

also, bunny awards are the only reason i am here, obviously
Ya I remember when I first started I was anchoring and my guitar teacher told me that it could lead to a lot of pain and I could play faster if I didn't anchor. I thought nothing of it and about a month later my wrist started hurting really bad whenever I played, and I thought back to what my teacher said. I immediatly stopped and the pain went away and I can play faster than I ever did with anchoring.
Where's Waldo?

yay
It depends how fast you want to play. Devin Townsend anchors and writes some of the best music ever.

But in general you shouldn't.
Quote by lukeylynch
It depends how fast you want to play. Devin Townsend anchors and writes some of the best music ever.

But in general you shouldn't.
Actually it doesn't depend on how fast you want to play.

The anchoring vs nonanchoring debate should not be about speed.
Quote by epic7734
Actually it doesn't depend on how fast you want to play.

The anchoring vs nonanchoring debate should not be about speed.

Fair enough. I was talking out of my ass there.

The idea it came from though was that it works fine for some players...

Just ignore me, i'm tired as hell and delirious right now
Quote by MapOfYourHead
i see you've been playing for 15 years, and you say you are comfortable...

its just that every time ive seen someone anchor and they try something moderately fast, i can see them physically straining.

also, bunny awards are the only reason i am here, obviously

Good answer. Physically straining is not good and that comes from stiffness while playing. You can have your hand planted anywhere on the guitar (within reason of course, in case the tarts wanna say something about it, because playing on the springs can only give you three notes or maybe four... depending how many you have), and as long as you are relaxed, mostly any speed is attainable.

Lets think about it.... ripping from 160 to 220 bpm or even 32nds at 110 to 120 bpm, you need your palm on the bridge (or close enough) with the blade dampening the unused strings or you really gonna sound like toss, despite sounding like a fervent masturbator. So technically speaking, its an anchor, even if only for a brief period (depending entirely on the player of course) despite it being a technique.

Right or wrong?
Michael Angelo Batio, John petrucci, Alexi Laiho, Steve Vai, steve Morse, Joe Satriani,
Malmsteen, Jason becker, EVH, Jeff loomis, Michael romeo etc etc

All these players anchor when they play

Some players who don't anchor from videos I'v seen are Paul Gilbert, herman li, dimebagm shawn lane

Honestly its purely what you feel comfortable with it,take marty friedman for example,he has probably the worst picking hand but it works for him, their are repetitive strain problems from anchoring but then guitar playing itself is really bad your fingers and will eventually lead to carpel tunnell and tendonitis
Last edited by drawnacrol at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by evolucian
Good answer. Physically straining is not good and that comes from stiffness while playing. You can have your hand planted anywhere on the guitar (within reason of course, in case the tarts wanna say something about it, because playing on the springs can only give you three notes or maybe four... depending how many you have), and as long as you are relaxed, mostly any speed is attainable.

Lets think about it.... ripping from 160 to 220 bpm or even 32nds at 110 to 120 bpm, you need your palm on the bridge (or close enough) with the blade dampening the unused strings or you really gonna sound like toss, despite sounding like a fervent masturbator. So technically speaking, its an anchor, even if only for a brief period (depending entirely on the player of course) despite it being a technique.

Right or wrong?

i suppose you could make an arguement that me resting on the bridge during a fast run is anchoring, but the difference is that my wrist is completly free, i can jump from low E to high e in a flick of the wrist.

where as, you would need discernible arm movement for the same thing.

correct me if im wrong, for i don't know every detail of the mechanics of the anchored hand.

Edit: putting in the quote.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
i suppose you could make an arguement that me resting on the bridge during a fast run is anchoring, but the difference is that my wrist is completly free, i can jump from low E to high e in a flick of the wrist.

where as, you would need discernible arm movement for the same thing.

correct me if im wrong, for i don't know every detail of the mechanics of the anchored hand.

Edit: putting in the quote.

Me personally? Nope, probably the same speed as you, but I've never had the need to play a lick that extreme except for classical but thats fingerstyle. There's also hybrid picking. But nonetheless, I'd still say the same speed.
Read this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19127307&postcount=12

And if you have way too much time on your hands, read this (yes the whole thing):
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339913

I should tell FP to put that "No Anchoring Threads" sticky back.
^ read the first one and about 2 pages of the second and then started skipping around. This is what i gathered

Highly debateable topic
Some famous people do it but have problems resulting from it
Those that have stopped, have seen major improvement
It is like training wheels and when they come off it gets harder but is worth it
The list goes on but that is the main idea, is that right?
'09er
Quote by aaciseric

I hate you too much to be able to answer this thread properly. You misleading swine.

Quote by HeavyReverb

you dont win. f^cking 09er

Quote by emad
Morello Wannabe
Post back and I'll temporary ban you.
Quote by drawnacrol
Michael Angelo Batio, John petrucci, Alexi Laiho, Steve Vai, steve Morse, Joe Satriani,
Malmsteen, Jason becker, EVH, Jeff loomis, Michael romeo etc etc

All these players anchor when they play

Some players who don't anchor from videos I'v seen are Paul Gilbert, herman li, dimebagm shawn lane

Honestly its purely what you feel comfortable with it,take marty friedman for example,he has probably the worst picking hand but it works for him, their are repetitive strain problems from anchoring but then guitar playing itself is really bad your fingers and will eventually lead to carpel tunnell and tendonitis

Do not at any point try to justify anchoring by saying "These -insert famous guitarists- anchor and they're godly and experience no problems!!!"

Yes, they might be 'godly' but you don't know if they experience any problems. I'm sure they might come out in interviews saying they're experiencing medical problems, but they might not.

Also, Paul Gilbert is probably one of the best alternate pickers/shredders/controlled guitar players I've ever seen. He never anchors.

Also, Shawn Lane is, if I recall unless it changed, was and probably still is the fastest guitar player in the world. He doesn't anchor and I doubt he could be at his speed if he did anchor.

Even though I'm all for being comfortable and the whole "if its comfortable do it" mentality, in certain cases that does not apply. If you can play at the exact same speed and any lick without anchoring that you can with anchoring, then you're fine. If you have to rely on anchoring to play, then you should work on your technique and stop anchoring and use it sparingly.
I've always anchored until like 2 days ago when I did a major overhaul on my technique. The picking is a little harder to get used to from a year of anchoring, but I've noticed already that i can switch strings MUCH easier and actually sweep now. Its really improved my mobility picking wise.

However. I cannot pick as fast. My alt picking is god awful now.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Please stop posting threads about this subject.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
i've never anchored before so i dont know what it's like but its probably better in the future if you dont im assumig
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by drawnacrol
Some players who don't anchor from videos I'v seen are Paul Gilbert[...] shawn lane

When it comes down to it, this should be enough to tell you that you shouldn't anchor.

Gilbert and Lane probably have some of the best technique out of anyone that has ever played.
Anchoring work if you use combination of wrist and thumb/index finger motion. In fact, purely wrist movement is kind of inefficient because you can make smaller movements using thumb/index finger motion (MAB style).
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
The perennial zombie thread of GT...

^For reporting, sis, shame on you... you may as well go through the forum and report on every repeated question there is.... especially the modes and scale suggestion questions.

There's a difference. There hasn't been a single new angle on the question or information that changes the fact that anchoring = bad. Not life-ending bad, but never, ever good. The reasoning is all in the archives and sticky, anyone who has anything new to say on the subject can certainly say it - but I've been waiting around 3 years to hear a single new argument that makes sense and all the old ones have been trounced.

Closed.