Poll: Which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which?
guitar
7 21%
amp
26 79%
Voters: 33.
So basically ive got a POS amp and a POS guitar and im looking at getting a new amp or guitar, which one would you get replace first the guitar or the amp?
Hey there.
amp. if you have a crappy amp, even the best guitar in the world will sound crap through it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It would really help to know what guitar it is and what amp it is.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
It would really help to know what guitar it is and what amp it is.

this.
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
If you REALLY hate your guitar, i'd get a new guitar first because that directly affects your playing.
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
depends, take the better out of the two that you can afford.

IMO, amp.
change your amp 1st as Blompcube said no matter how good the guitar is if your amps crap then the guitar will sound crap
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
i had a decent guitar and ****ty amp, and i got a new guitar. as much i love the guitar, i still think i need a new amp. so IMO amp first, then guitar. unless you hate your guitar, then it is up to you
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by blenk
change your amp 1st as Blompcube said no matter how good the guitar is if your amps crap then the guitar will sound crap

In most cases, yes that may be true.

However, if the guitar is crappy, horrible, can't stay in tune, has ungodly action, intonation can't be set etc, it will still sound it like a POS even if you play it through a Mesa or Bogner.

We need to know what amp and guitar it is.

Yes an amp affects your sound, however, the guitar impacts how comfortable you feel playing it.

If both your gear really are that bad, I'd suggest changing your guitar. That way, at least you'll feel comfortable playing.

Assuming both are horrible, change your guitar first, then your amp.

Good guitar but horrible amp:
1. You sound horrible playing through your amp, but you feel comfortable playing unplugged or plugged in.
2. However you can always play unplugged, and still feel comfortable.

Horrible guitar but good amp:
1. You feel uncomfortable playing plugged into your amp, but you'll have better tone.
2. You'll feel uncomfortable playing your guitar. Hence you'll end up practising less than you should.

Between the two, I'd rather feel comfortable playing over feeling uncomfortable with my guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
When I was in your position I replaced the guitar first, but looking back that was probably a bad move. As soon as I replaced it, I immediately regretted it because it didn't really change my sound at all. When I got my new amp (after working for a couple of weeks solid in a different country...that was how much I wanted it) all was well.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by ragingkitty
In most cases, yes that may be true.

However, if the guitar is crappy, horrible, can't stay in tune, has ungodly action, intonation can't be set etc, it will still sound it like a POS even if you play it through a Mesa or Bogner.

We need to know what amp and guitar it is.

Yes an amp affects your sound, however, the guitar impacts how comfortable you feel playing it.

If both your gear really are that bad, I'd suggest changing your guitar. That way, at least you'll feel comfortable playing.

Assuming both are horrible, change your guitar first, then your amp.

Good guitar but horrible amp:
1. You sound horrible playing through your amp, but you feel comfortable playing unplugged or plugged in.
2. However you can always play unplugged, and still feel comfortable.

Horrible guitar but good amp:
1. You feel uncomfortable playing plugged into your amp, but you'll have better tone.
2. You'll feel uncomfortable playing your guitar. Hence you'll end up practising less than you should.

Between the two, I'd rather feel comfortable playing over feeling uncomfortable with my guitar.

He said it all, change your guitar first, unless you REALLY are in need of good tone, like if you gig alot or do alot of studio recording, wich I assume isn't the case
I think that the Guitar is the most important part of the equation. Always Guitar First, the amps will come.

Good Guitars appreciate in value, most amps do not.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
The forum is like being raided.
Amp > guitar. Always. I made the mistake too. I have an MG with a Ibanez Prestige.
As long as your old guitar is playable and not painful, get a new amp.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know