Hello people. I can play a few acoustic songs using only open chords, and can play a few lead parts and improvise, but that's about it and whatever song I want to learn is too hard for me at the current level. Almost all the songs I'd like to learn have barre's in them, and my barre's sound awful. I really need new things to learn, be it songs or techniques. But all the easy songs are songs I don't like.

I can play:
* Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (has no barre chords, so it sounds good)
* Sonata Arctica - Mary Lou (in which my barre's sound awful)
* Blackmore's Night - Ghost of a Rose (a lot of the chords sound awful)
* Blackmore's Night - Faerie Queen (and again, any chords other than open chords sound awful)

I've asked here a few times for songs that are my level. Nothing Else Matters got suggested, which I now can (sloppily) play the intro of. The rest of it was too hard. I think I need to learn really. easy. songs with only open chords and really easy leads, but i don't know where to find them. I don't know what to learn right now, really. I only know a few open chord songs, and i can play simple lead parts. And i've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years now.

Please tell me what to learn, what to do, other than practicing barre's because i've been doing that for a whole day and it made me very bored. I'm stuck and have nothing to learn, no songs to learn because all of them are too hard, and no techniques to learn because i do not know which ones will help me.
can you play easy songs with progressions liek C am F G?

just play chord songs for now.

lead is easier.
Quote by robinlint
But all the easy songs are songs I don't like.
I'm afraid a lot of the time that will be the case especially if you come into playing music whilst already listening to artists that make complex difficult music. You just have to suck it up (and a lot of the time you come to like an artist a lot more after learning to play their music. Case in point - I hated green day before my teacher made me learn 'warning')

I've asked here a few times for songs that are my level. Nothing Else Matters got suggested, which I now can (sloppily) play the intro of. The rest of it was too hard. I think I need to learn really. easy. songs with only open chords and really easy leads, but i don't know where to find them.
Have you tried - http://ug.cybanworld.com/ ?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head sorry
Please tell me what to learn, what to do, other than practicing barre's because i've been doing that for a whole day and it made me very bored
Learn basic lead techniques. Hammer ons/pull offs, Bends and vibrato. You can probably find some excersise somewhere online (I think there's an excersise thread somewhere as well but I can't find it)
The basic techniques you will need to survive on guitar would be:
01) Strumming
02) Individual note picking
03) Hammer on
04) Pull off
05) slide
06) barre chord
07) chord changing
08) sight reading
09) theory (beginning)
10) having fun

If number 10 is missing, make it

Hope it helps
Quote by robinlint
Hello people. I can play a few acoustic songs using only open chords, and can play a few lead parts and improvise, but that's about it and whatever song I want to learn is too hard for me at the current level. Almost all the songs I'd like to learn have barre's in them, and my barre's sound awful. I really need new things to learn, be it songs or techniques. But all the easy songs are songs I don't like.

I can play:
* Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (has no barre chords, so it sounds good)
* Sonata Arctica - Mary Lou (in which my barre's sound awful)
* Blackmore's Night - Ghost of a Rose (a lot of the chords sound awful)
* Blackmore's Night - Faerie Queen (and again, any chords other than open chords sound awful)

I've asked here a few times for songs that are my level. Nothing Else Matters got suggested, which I now can (sloppily) play the intro of. The rest of it was too hard. I think I need to learn really. easy. songs with only open chords and really easy leads, but i don't know where to find them. I don't know what to learn right now, really. I only know a few open chord songs, and i can play simple lead parts. And i've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years now.

Please tell me what to learn, what to do, other than practicing barre's because i've been doing that for a whole day and it made me very bored. I'm stuck and have nothing to learn, no songs to learn because all of them are too hard, and no techniques to learn because i do not know which ones will help me.

You wont learn to barre properly in one day.Took me 4months.
Learn s(ales. Alternate pi(k eveything. Prati(e legato.
one you get the hang of alt piking try learning dream theaters in the presene of enemies part one. proaly take you a few months of hard pratie howerver at the end you will |3e a god among men.
*G n' R - Knocking on heavens door
*Bad Company - Feel like making love
*Blind Melon - Change

Other than that I would learn how to Barre...That's obviously your weakness...Your gonna have to learn sometime
Quote by Nietsche
I'm afraid a lot of the time that will be the case especially if you come into playing music whilst already listening to artists that make complex difficult music. You just have to suck it up (and a lot of the time you come to like an artist a lot more after learning to play their music. Case in point - I hated green day before my teacher made me learn 'warning')

So, what you're saying is, i have to learn music I don't like, but is easier for me to play, to get to playing the music I like but is harder?
I guess you're right. If i don't do that, i'll stay stuck trying to play the hard songs I like, and would have almost nothing to play.
Then, what is the easiest genre of music? (Please don't say blues..)

Have you tried - http://ug.cybanworld.com/ ?

No, but thanks for the link.

Learn basic lead techniques. Hammer ons/pull offs, Bends and vibrato. You can probably find some excersise somewhere online (I think there's an excersise thread somewhere as well but I can't find it)

Hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends and vibrato.. Before learning barre's?
Last edited by robinlint at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
So, what you're saying is, i have to learn music I don't like, but is easier for me to play, to get to playing the music I like but is harder?
I guess you're right. If i don't do that, i'll stay stuck trying to play the hard songs I like, and would have almost nothing to play.
Depends. You could attempt learning the hard stuff that you like at incredibly slow speeds and work your way up but that would probably lead to some serious frustration because it would take ages to get a full song down. Plus having some experience in playing certain techniques in context helps a load in my experience
Hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends and vibrato.. Before learning barre's?
I learnt all those techniques at pretty much the same time. Barre's are actually pretty difficult at first. And remember there's no 'set' order in which you should play stuff. You sound like you're spending all your time on learning barre's which just isn't necessary. Start learning some other basic techniques and divide your time between them (Don't try learn too many at once though)

EDIT:
Then, what is the easiest genre of music? (Please don't say blues..)
Why the Blues of course......(joking)

There is no easiest genre. There are incredibly difficult and incredibly easy examples in almost every genre save a few (Most of the 'progressive' genres)
Last edited by Nietsche at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Nietsche
Depends. You could attempt learning the hard stuff that you like at incredibly slow speeds and work your way up but that would probably lead to some serious frustration because it would take ages to get a full song down. Plus having some experience in playing certain techniques in context helps a load in my experience

I've noticed..
I've practiced barre's all day... and gotten really bored. There's just no fun in practicing barre's all day.
And about the slow speeds and taking ages to get a full song down.. I've noticed with Nothing Else Matters by metallica. I took about two hours to learn the intro and get it up to speed.

I learnt all those techniques at pretty much the same time. Barre's are actually pretty difficult at first. And remember there's no 'set' order in which you should play stuff. You sound like you're spending all your time on learning barre's which just isn't necessary. Start learning some other basic techniques and divide your time between them (Don't try learn too many at once though)

What basic techniques am I missing? I'll list the ones I have a good grasp on, here:
* Playing open chords
* Knowing the notes on the guitar neck (I know almost all of them, but i still need to learn the G string)
* Playing small, simple lead melodies
* Improvising some simple lead melodies
* Hammering-on (but i'm having trouble with pull-offs)
* Singing while playing
* Tremolo picking (it's really sloppy, though)
* Power chords (only the basic shapes)

That's about all techniques i have a good grasp on. (I might have forgotten some)

I'm probably going to take a break of a few days from guitar, though.
Last edited by robinlint at Aug 16, 2009,